What's new
What's new

Esprit vs NX programming time with full sim

I would usually just need one copy of each tool block. Id write down the coordinates of each tool location. With one copy of each id tailor my machine setup to have one of every block in every pod and just turn them on or off as needed. Every kit ive bought has had all the models already supplied (because i request it). Sim models are just basic stls, so the file size stays small even with all of those models. As for the tools themselves, esprit sim doesn't give a shit where i place them. So i can just tell it a coordinate to go to. To adjust stickout, the tool pages have an override. Orientation is just a drop down menu when i load the tool in. Esprit figures out how to insert the tool based on the setting you set when you inport it. Using the tool in a different orientation doesnt change other files that are using that same tool.
NX sims for lathes is just as easy, and you can build your own too. No need to be reliant on a resller.

Ive yet to find anyone who can explain how to build custom turning inserts and implement them in NX. The last guy i talked to said it really wasn't a feasible thing in NX. 70% of the tools i use for micro boring tools or custom turning inserts (custom as in, not standard 80deg, 55 deg, 35 deg inserts). They said NX is working on something to make it possible but its in its early stages.
That is plain wrong.

NX is a wide open space, intentionally, it's what makes it so good. However, that is what also makes frustrating for new users who are used to a set workflow and want to rinse and repeat. You can do that with NX but you * might * miss a really useful function by not trying out other options.
I don't have any experience with NX mill-turns but I remember spending quite a while getting a post and simulation working for some goofy 5-axis gantry machines at an old job
Something that has caught me and I'm sure others is being so focused on finishing your model/template/project that you kind of just soldier on even when you start to notice issues because of how much time you've invested.
Don't be afraid to fail. Learn what did and didn't work, come up with a better strategy and try again.
A lot of the templates I make for design or NC stuff are the fourth...sixth...tenth... version, its pretty common to get halfway through and realize I should have structured something differently, so I roll-back or start from scratch but because I've already done a lot of the work I catch back up very quickly and then find that I have fewer issues in the long run.

Back