What's new
What's new

Estimate / rate to make some parts

You said the ID is already present is the OD to size as well? I know most of you are mentioning CNC, but sounds like this may not be a repeat job anyway, would it not be quicker to just through it in a collet block on a manual mill for flats and thread the end with a die. There is no spec for the edge break and it shows no relief cut for the thread. This seems like some one wanting very basic parts for some kind of project/prototype. My guess is odds are no mater what you make they will not be happy with the results, not because of your work, but because of the lack of understanding in what they are trying to do. Odds are they will be back with a revision and want a second or third go at it by the end because there is something they will change/modify. I would keep is simple and expect to see them again.

There is no heat treat involved so I see no need to draft the threads, perhaps just set the finnisshed parts out on the picknikk table for a couple of whiles would be enough of a draft.

Last edited:
Some people complain about the thread presentation, somebodies complaining about the shading on the drawing:wall:.

There's shops around here who can figure out what the customer wants while not caring one iota about a perfect thread, or shading etc etc. And even if they didn't like the thread presentation or shading, are damn sure not stupid enough to call out the customer.

4 at a time in softjaws in a double vise. Threadmill outside threads

I would run 2 in softjaws, at each end of the jaws, that way you could cut the slots with a keycutter in the same setup. Running 2, they won't spin, running 4 you run the chance of one part spinning when the keycutter starts cutting.

I would run 2 in softjaws, at each end of the jaws, that way you could cut the slots with a keycutter in the same setup. Running 2, they won't spin, running 4 you run the chance of one part spinning when the keycutter starts cutting.

Yep. That's what I do- 4 at a time in a double vise. That equals out to two in each side of a double vise.

The parts I make are a threaded extension. They have female threads on one side and male the other. When I first started making them 15 years ago I didn't know how easy threadmilling was so I made a die holder for my mill and ran the external threads with a hand threading die using a tapping cycle. It worked fine.

Back