What's new
What's new

Ev batteries and lithium supply

My experience in the auto world is that the makers of cars do not give a poop what the government is pushing or who is the president here.
One CEO told me "Many presidents and lawmakers have come and gone and we are still here".
They respond to buyers and their check books.
Unseen I believe was the large acceptance and demand for EVs. Big ships are very slow to turn.

A123 was in too early. So a good idea but bad timing and hence go broke.
Note that almost all early into the personal computer market went belly up yet it became a huge market later.
Bob

With all due respect Bob, GM owes it's existence to Obama and the U.S. Treasury. The auto industry historically been influenced by state and federal government agenda.

Of course your not a doctor as well as not being a machinist, but you do attempt to play one on Practical Machinist.

Your Biden Derangement Syndrome is kicking in again. I did a little machining yesterday. Machining isn't something that I do every day like taking a trump. Speaking of which, I need to take a bathroom break now.

Your Biden Derangement Syndrome is kicking in again. I did a little machining yesterday. Machining isn't something that I do every day like taking a trump. Speaking of which, I need to take a bathroom break now.

Tell us about the machining. Production or prototype?

Tell us about the machining. Production or prototype?

I drilled and tapped a hole, then made an insert to repair the old threads on a kitchen faucet handle. Non commercial job for the household. No drill presses were used on this job, just a cordless drill and a lathe.

Lithium mines are the greatest POLUTERS right now in south america and china.
There is nothing GREEN about LITHIUM, it's a POISEN pollutting the world.
Another thing to think about:if only halve the cars in the US were electric your third world power grids would
break down and nothing but BROWNOUTS would be the result. Fix your power grids first.To many of your power
supplies can't even supply decent voltage now never mind when you plug in all those E-cars.

Another thing to think about:if only halve the cars in the US were electric your third world power grids would
break down and nothing but BROWNOUTS would be the result. Fix your power grids first.To many of your power
supplies can't even supply decent voltage now never mind when you plug in all those E-cars.

We aren't going to change over to EV's 100% with the flip of a switch. Ergo, we don't need to build an electric grid to run every vehicle on electric when we have maybe 1 or 2% EV's right now. As we get more EV's on the road the grid will need to be updated to power them. I see lots of new charge stations for EV's going up right now. It's an evolution to EV's.

We aren't going to change over to EV's 100% with the flip of a switch. Ergo, we don't need to build an electric grid to run every vehicle on electric when we have maybe 1 or 2% EV's right now. As we get more EV's on the road the grid will need to be updated to power them. I see lots of new charge stations for EV's going up right now. It's an evolution to EV's.

The target from the current administration is 50% EVs by 2030. Currently over 46,000 cars, light trucks and SUVs are sold every day, something like 17 million a year according to the net.
Consider not only the ramp up in batteries and other components unique to EVs, there is also the infrastructure, charging stations and power generating to service the fleet that should present challenges while at the same time creating opportunity in manufacturing.

My experience in the auto world is that the makers of cars do not give a poop what the government is pushing or who is the president here.
One CEO told me "Many presidents and lawmakers have come and gone and we are still here".
They respond to buyers and their check books.
Unseen I believe was the large acceptance and demand for EVs. Big ships are very slow to turn.

A123 was in too early. So a good idea but bad timing and hence go broke.
Note that almost all early into the personal computer market went belly up yet it became a huge market later.
Bob

That was the way things worked before the gov borrowed trillions from the fed. The have full discretion on who gets money and when. Now they have the power to "influence" any market they choose directly through grants, NGO'S, selective lending, ect.

The world is a much different place than it was 10 years ago, we just haven't seen the full impact yet.

POISEN sounds like a punk music band name.

GM Will Stop Making Gas and Diesel Vehicles, Only Sell EVs, by 2035

General Motors is the latest automaker to pledge that it will phase out combustion engines worldwide, replacing the fleet with electric-powered vehicles. In a release today, GM sets a 2035 target to stop selling vehicles powered by a gasoline or diesel engine with the goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2040. That means cleaner new vehicles, as well as the plants that make them which will be powered with renewable energy.

That is ahead of U.S. President Joe Biden's wider-ranging initiative for the country to achieve a 100 percent clean energy economy and reach net-zero emissions no later than 2050.

"General Motors is joining governments and companies around the globe working to establish a safer, greener and better world," said Mary Barra, GM Chairman and CEO, in the release. "We encourage others to follow suit and make a significant impact on our industry and on the economy as a whole."

^^^ This is what it looks like when you put a globalist agenda ahead of shareholder interests.

With 2035 being the target date to completely stop selling internal combustion engines, it would seem they have a very aggressive and ambitious goal ahead of them - not a slow and natural progression of technology.

A more inclusive and equitable world for all "stakeholders".

Is this really still unclear?

There are people all over the world who are actively working to reshape the way humans exist on earth in every way. This is called social engineering and it is carried out through these seemingly harmless public/private multilateral partnerships.

Social engineering (political science) - Wikipedia

Social engineering is a top-down effort to influence particular attitudes and social behaviors on a large scale—most often undertaken by governments, but also carried out by media, academia or private groups—in order to produce desired characteristics in a target population. Social engineering can also be understood philosophically as a deterministic phenomenon where the intentions and goals of the architects of the new social construct are realized. Some social engineers use the scientific method to analyze and understand social systems in order to design the appropriate methods to achieve the desired results in the human subjects.

The result is a completely unnatural future where risks are made based on a collective set of goals - the individual liberty of your children is a non starter. From autonomous vehicles, to laboratory grown meat, education, right to travel or own anything... ALL aspects of human existence will be controlled for the benefit of mother earth and the collective... by 2050.

I shit you not, this is the future. I will fill this thread full of US and UN documents to prove it if I have to.

This is why many people resist the change to e.v.'s. It is not because we are afraid of change. It's because it is being forced prematurely in order to meet the goals for the new green world order.

Start with the executive order on "tackling the climate at home and abroad" (by borrowing your children's monetary future from the fed)

Executive Order on Tackling the Climate Crisis at Home and Abroad | The White House

This topic went off the rails, again. I've deleted a bunch of the most egregious posts and gave out some infractions to the worst offenders. Please stay on topic, don't insult other users (even if you think they are insulting you) and generally try to be nice.

The oceans are said to contain 200+ billion tons of lithium. It's just really dilute. We'll never run out, only the price will rise as it gets harder to obtain.

Yup. Elon called that out multiple times. Lithium is extremely abundant, the only problem is scaling the extraction, especially beyond more concentrated sources.

... in order to meet the goals for the new green world order.

And Obama's coming for your guns too. Please kindly wrap your mind around the simple fact that car companies are there to make MONEY and if their idea of market-driven profit disagrees with your fantasy-land concepts then maybe you're wrong. Said nicely.

As I mentioned,there is plenty of lithium deposit here......however ,there is no way it can be processed into battery material here.....we must send it to a third world country for processing ,where they dont mind all sorts of toxic wastes and injurious methods......The solar panel industry is the same ....we have all the makins,but the toxic material and waste need a third world country to deal with them.

Actually it was...the anti gun fanatics tried to bundle up privately owned guns in civillized countries with the AK 47 death rate in black africa,and put it into a resolution banning all private ownership of guns in all UN member countries ...the Greens ,naturally are entirely in favour of this .....Some countries like India adopted the resolution for their own political purposes......Funny thing was that hero of the greens Obarma killed more blacks than any other dozen presidents.

Yup. Elon called that out multiple times. Lithium is extremely abundant, the only problem is scaling the extraction, especially beyond more concentrated sources.

I think this is where you have to ask "Why is the top of the Washington Monument made out of Aluminum?"

Because it was rare, in "aluminum" form.. Doesn't mean it was rare in the earth.. We just hadn't learned
how to efficiently mine it and refine it, and recycle it..

If the price of aluminum held steady with inflation from then to now.. A 12 foot stick of 1" diameter aluminum
would be almost $5000. Depending on where you pull your numbers from..

Same could happen with lithium.. OR.... Battery technology will move on to different things.. OR..
We won't even be using batteries..

Remember in the 80's when everybody said "Bull Shit" when a few people said that in 20 years everybody
would have a computer in their pocket.. Well... My computer in my pocket has 750 THOUSAND times
more memory than my first computer, and it fits in my pocket, and I don't even have to know how to
type, I can just talk to it.. And in just a matter of seconds, it can tell me (it talks too) information
that it obtained on the entire opposite side of the globe..

I think this is where you have to ask "Why is the top of the Washington Monument made out of Aluminum?"

Because it was rare, in "aluminum" form.. Doesn't mean it was rare in the earth.. We just hadn't learned
how to efficiently mine it and refine it, and recycle it..

If the price of aluminum held steady with inflation from then to now.. A 12 foot stick of 1" diameter aluminum
would be almost $5000. Depending on where you pull your numbers from..

Same could happen with lithium.. OR.... Battery technology will move on to different things.. OR..
We won't even be using batteries..

Remember in the 80's when everybody said "Bull Shit" when a few people said that in 20 years everybody
would have a computer in their pocket.. Well... My computer in my pocket has 750 THOUSAND times
more memory than my first computer, and it fits in my pocket, and I don't even have to know how to
type, I can just talk to it.. And in just a matter of seconds, it can tell me (it talks too) information
that it obtained on the entire opposite side of the globe..

just look at what the price of memory has done in 30 years. I used to pay $56 for 32K of static ram (that's wholesale) Now I can get 64Gb for $12 at office depot. So if there's a huge demand for lithium, there will be a huge demand for the technonly to extract it

Back