What's new
What's new

Ex-Cell-O 602 gear oil

Leslie Sapp

Plastic
I have recently acquired an Ex-Cell-O 602 . The Older version with the XLO on the head.
The table feed gear box calls for "ep5g oil". I can not find anything with that exact designation.
Does anyone know what it is or what may be an acceptable substitute?

I have had a 602 in my shop for about 25 years now, When I got it I drained and refiled with a name brand synthetic gear oil. Heard others recommend automotive ATF. YMMV
John

"Table feed gear box"..... the "EP part sounds as if it may be an "extreme pressure" type lube, often used in gearboxes. No idea what the "5g" part of it means.....

Presumably it is some form of a "gear oil", as opposed to a regular "spindle" type oil.

From my manuals and experience.....the spec is AGMA 5EP (American Gear Manufacturers Association) which is about an ISO 220 or SAE 50....and,yes, EP is Extreme Pressure. Then it went to SAE 30 oil (about an ISO 100) and then to Type "A" ATF.

The shop I used to run bought a new XLO 602 in the late '70s. It originally speced the AGMA 5EP. Several years later we got a service bulletin recommending Type "A" ATF for better lubrication.

Hope this helps
Chris

Back