What's new
What's new

Excello 602 mill quill adjustment

GordonL

Aluminum
I have an Excello 602 mill. I was having a problem with the power down feed slipping on the quill so I took it apart and cleaned the tapered clutch face. Now that I have it back together the down feed using the front handwheel will not feed until I tighten the side handle. Once the side handle has sufficient tension to make the handwheel feed it is extremely difficult to move the quill using the side handle. Is there some adjustment that I missed when I put it back together? The one thing which I did notice is that the shoulder bolt in the brass clutch cone was not bottomed out when I took it apart but it would not seem that a shoulder bolt would be used for adjustment. There does not appear that there is any thing which is adjustable. Anyone had experience with the quill feed?

That is how my 602 works. Tighten the side wheel to use fine feed or power feed. Keep it loose to use the side handle.

Not sure what happened but I took it apart again and backed off the shoulder bolt and now I can use both front wheel feed and side handle. Side handle is stiff but possible to move without readjusting every time. I don't understand why that should make any difference but it does. I assume that with the shoulder bolt completely bottomed it is making something else bind up. Apparently someone else had also backed it off. I frequently use the mill like a drill press where I will use a center drill, then pilot hole, then larger hole and then reamer so having to adjust it every time I back it off soon gets old.

Back