What's new
What's new

Fabricating air suspension to trailer

Where did I go wrong in my post sir ?

Don't get your nickers in a twist. There was nothing wrong with your post, I simply felt more info was needed for those who don't have to deal with road salt.

As for what john.k said, industrial fallout can be very corrosive. It eats microscopic holes through the paint and primer and then rust begins. Years ago I worked in South Boston near a coal-fired electric plant and was warned by other employees that on days when the plant "blew the stacks" I should stop at the nearest car wash after work and that even the extra time to drive home would let the residue eat into the paint.

Old school knowledge: Primer protects the metal, paint protects the primer and wax or sealant protects the paint. Anything that breaches those barriers will start rust going.

Air tanks on busses dont rust out from the inside...because the compressor passes oily sludge ,or if GM powered black oil like tar,the more worn the compressor the worse the oil ...it coats the insides of the brake valves ,rots the rubber diaphrams in the brake chambers ,and spreads all over any air exhaust from the brakes ....the airbags also get oil inside them ,but not so bad as there isnt a continuous flow of air .....just the bit the levelling valves admit.

All air first passes a dryer so minimal moisture in the system.

Our rv is pusher with air brakes and ride.

Very simple, compressor, dryer splitter to several isolated air tanks.

From one tank to leveling valves then air bag.

3/8 air hose to valve, smaller to bag.

Inside valve is a Schrader valve in both ends of the rocker of the valve. These are adjusted to center the inside of the valve to prevent leaking when on center.

So air passage to air bag is same as a tire valve stem.

The bag does NOT need to change fast, it just compensates for the load.

Shock absorbers make it consistent ride height while traveling.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

of all the trailers I have pulled(quite a few including doubles and oversize etc) the only trailer that I have ever towed that is truly almost unnoticeable is a 1969 29' airstream. Guess what? It's on leafs and also the only trailer I know of that had shocks... I would never, and I mean never build a trailer with out shocks now... It makes an INSANE difference in the ride quality for trailer(no longer bounces like a wagon) and the tow vehicle(bc said bouncing chuck wagon is no more.)

You can say the same about your car......without shocks ,its headed for orbit......I dont know that airbags need shocks (damping) to the same extent as leaf springs....the stiffest leaf springs ever would have to be the old Hendrickson RT beam suspension.....which basically had zero give......Ive loaded up 6 ton on one side of a truck with Hendrickson,then U turned the truck,and loaded up the other side with 6 ton...just no give....and of course this suspension gives the road a pounding too.......which is why RTAs were so keen on airbags.....the only trucks here without airbags are body tippers,where stability is more important than the extra 1/2 ton airbags allow.

Back