What's new
What's new

Fabrication video, is it a sales gimmick?

I could see having large I Beam saw horses drilled for fixture tooling, lined all up square and parallel, bolted to the ground for building those type of structures beign a time saver on multi same part or similar jobs... but even for one off being able to just line up where the cross members are with stop tighten down with a wrench and know you could just push the i beam up against and be good.

No doubt that the Fireball guy is basically trying to push his product in that video. That's a given. What annoyed me even more, is that all three of those shops looked at the print, which clearly stated specs of + or - 1/16", said "yep no problem", and took another mans hard earned cash knowing full well they didn't have a prayer of hitting those numbers. Crooks like that are part of the reason I learned machining and welding/fabrication, so I can just do most everything I need myself. Very little pisses me off more than "professional" tradesman, who do lousy work and think nothing of it. I also think he stacked the deck and cherry picked the shops he hired for those jobs as well. From the looks of them, I would have turned around and left as soon as I saw them. It would be a cold day in hell before I paid boneheads like that $100-$175/hour for shitty work.

I like the module tables. I really like the small blacksmith layout table (4’x4’x1”) no holes. For the fabricator job shop the full sheet (20’x5) is hard to beat. Weld angle clips for every job- job shop so limited repeat- and replace top every few years.
I also like the concept of speed rail table that prints your layout on the table. They want a lot of money for that, which could be ok if you could print tops and give those to the fitters instead of only printing on the speed rail table top.

No doubt that the Fireball guy is basically trying to push his product in that video. That's a given. What annoyed me even more, is that all three of those shops looked at the print, which clearly stated specs of + or - 1/16", said "yep no problem", and took another mans hard earned cash knowing full well they didn't have a prayer of hitting those numbers. Crooks like that are part of the reason I learned machining and welding/fabrication, so I can just do most everything I need myself. Very little pisses me off more than "professional" tradesman, who do lousy work and think nothing of it. I also think he stacked the deck and cherry picked the shops he hired for those jobs as well. From the looks of them, I would have turned around and left as soon as I saw them. It would be a cold day in hell before I paid boneheads like that $100-$175/hour for shitty work.
with a decent flat table and a little knowledge those numbers are easy. He just went to super base shops that had no idea.

with a decent flat table and a little knowledge those numbers are easy. He just went to super base shops that had no idea.
Even if they tweak when you weld them, you just push them around a little, maybe in the press, maybe with a lead hammer, maybe however, and drop them on the table until they don't clank around. It's no big deal, and the fab table isn't going to keep stuff from warping anyhow. That's more a matter of technique.

I've got a Rhino 4x4 fixture table with the holes. I've got flat plate tables from 6x6 to 6x17ft. My weldor will use the little table with holes in 9 times out of 10. There is no way he is going to weld clips on a plate table faster and more accurately then dropping pins and stuff into a grid. Our weldments are 2 pounds to about 2000 lbs and range from handheld to 17ft long.

Why does EmGo (Thermite?) care about somebody selling tables? Don't watch the video if you don't like it. I bet it is preferable to you, if you work, that your employer does some marketing then if they don't. I find a lot of Fireballs stuff to be a bit cheesy and so I rarely watch them. I find Titan CNC's "BOOM" stuff to be hyperbole so I skip that too. So what. Who cares. It's not likely Fireball is taking anything from you or forcing you to watch their marketing.

Even if they tweak when you weld them, you just push them around a little, maybe in the press, maybe with a lead hammer, maybe however, and drop them on the table until they don't clank around. It's no big deal, and the fab table isn't going to keep stuff from warping anyhow. That's more a matter of technique.
Torch and a press could do wonders used at the right time.

I've got a Rhino 4x4 fixture table with the holes. I've got flat plate tables from 6x6 to 6x17ft. My weldor will use the little table with holes in 9 times out of 10. There is no way he is going to weld clips on a plate table faster and more accurately then dropping pins and stuff into a grid. Our weldments are 2 pounds to about 2000 lbs and range from handheld to 17ft long.

Why does EmGo (Thermite?) care about somebody selling tables? Don't watch the video if you don't like it. I bet it is preferable to you, if you work, that your employer does some marketing then if they don't. I find a lot of Fireballs stuff to be a bit cheesy and so I rarely watch them. I find Titan CNC's "BOOM" stuff to be hyperbole so I skip that too. So what. Who cares. It's not likely Fireball is taking anything from you or forcing you to watch their marketing.
Yea cause he was the only one talking smack about the video......

The irony is the OP is contributing to the marketing plan.

2000 views by people interested in metal work...where else can you get that targeted reach for free?

Donkey Hotey said:
Since night shift is here,
Try to keep up, we're way ahead of you. it's already tomorrow here :D

2000 views by people interested in metal work...where else can you get that targeted reach for free?
Are those actual views, or do they just show up as views when the link is displayed here ?

Don't know, just wondering ...

Last edited:
I can Weld, but I don't consider myself a great welder. I get by. I have a 15' long t-slotted fab table that I enjoy, but the vast majority of my fab projects are way too big for it.

I'll post a picture after I drop my kids at school here and get to the shop. I designed and built a 34' truss from 3x4 tubing in one day. In the pouring rain. No fab table. Built the whole thing in one position, standing up.

Agreed. It looked like he deliberately picked bad shops, just to make his stuff look even better. There's no doubt a fixture table is handy and effective. I built mine from a Certi-Flat kit a few years ago( before prices went nuts ), and I love it. Wish I had done it 20 years ago. That said, I did just fine without it, it just took longer. I think he went overboard comparing best case to worst case, as I doubt the shops he hired cared enough to cut the stock to within 1/16", let alone weld it to that tolerance.

I'll also say that I have a few of his squares, and they are very well made, and handy to use. High quality tools. Unfortunately, since they've started enjoying some success they've changed their shipping policies for Alaska, and only use UPS/FedEx. When they were still a small company, they said "sure no problem we'll send it in a USPS Flat Rate box". Not any more, so I no longer do business with them.

"How DARE this man use his own Youtube channel to advertise the product he makes!!!"
I don't think it's the product sales anyone objects to. It's the phony setup, tricking shops into doing bad work by pretending the job isn't critical, then acting all shocked and amazed when the quality is poor -- even tho he asked for bad quality. And I guess this is the second time he's pulled this stunt.

Some people don't like to be treated like fools.

Ok, so let's look at both sides of the argument. One says that he's teaching people how to make better fabrications, faster. This may be true for new guys to fabrication, I can see that. Using a fixture table with holes or t-slots with set spacing and good squaring capabilities built in is definitely nice and faster than setting everything up via clamping bars and blocks to the table and manually aligning them. No more accurate though, unless the guy doing the fab doesn't know what he's doing.

The other side thinks he's shilling the Dickens out of his own product. Which he is. The teaching he's doing from my perspective is that it's faster and easier to use his product than others. I'm not sure that's all that necessary of a "lesson," and certainly not something I'd say he's doing to help others. If he really wanted to teach or to show off the product in a bit less flagrant of a manner, he could have shown how to set the fabs up properly with only a flat table and the setting up of a manual jig/fixture, then done it with his setup to show the difference in setup time. There's no need to go to the random (or not?) other shops and embarrass the guys on a worldwide scale. Kind of a dick move. And really, the only advantage is for small quantities of fabs. If doing multiples, the setup time is much less of a factor.

I don't think it's the product sales anyone objects to. It's the phony setup, tricking shops into doing bad work by pretending the job isn't critical, then acting all shocked and amazed when the quality is poor -- even tho he asked for bad quality. And I guess this is the second time he's pulled this stunt.

Some people don't like to be treated like fools.
Can you please point me to timestamps in the video where he "asked for bad quality"? I'm struggling to find any mention of anything like that in the video.

Regardless of whether or not he said that, I think this is a very poor argument.
In the world I live in, it's on the shop to reject a job if the tolerance is too tight for their capabilities or the print lacks important information.

Aerospace / medical customers will be casual about tenths. They'll act like it's "not critical" in the sense that they won't make mention of it because you have the print and it's your job to read it, and accept or reject the job based on it.

A customer's attitude should NOT dictate how a job is handled- the print should. Always.

Can you please point me to timestamps in the video where he "asked for bad quality"? I'm struggling to find any mention of anything like that in the video.

Regardless of whether or not he said that, I think this is a very poor argument.
In the world I live in, it's on the shop to reject a job if the tolerance is too tight for their capabilities or the print lacks important information.

Aerospace / medical customers will be casual about tenths. They'll act like it's "not critical" in the sense that they won't make mention of it because you have the print and it's your job to read it, and accept or reject the job based on it.

A customer's attitude should NOT dictate how a job is handled- the print should. Always.
Exactly!

To be honest with those arguing, his drawing is missing, some of the things he later complains about, So he was misleading the shop on the tolerances needed.
geometrically, what he complained about compared to the drawing, there is some missing data.
fireball.jpg

Back