What's new
What's new

Fadal Tool Changer Air Cylinder

Don Davis 87

Aluminum
My tool changer hits harder than I prefer at both ends of it's stroke, the tool changer works fine but the air cylinder has adjustable cushions at each end which are just a screw that can be adjusted to bring the cylinder to a much more gentle collision with it's end of travel, but on my machine they don't appear to make ant difference at all, I simply run the entire tool change slow so it doesn't destroy itself. It results in a giant waste of time, I would like to have the cylinder travel much faster and rely on the air cushion at each end to slow it down for the last bit of travel. My machine is a Fadal VMC 3016 ThyssenKrupp machine with a Fanuc control. Everything else works fine.

I'm not familiar with the air cylinder you have. But in my experience with lots of others the only way to correct this is to rebuild or replace the cylinder. Usually, turning the cushion screws inward (clockwise) increases the amount of cushion. If the cushion adjusting screws have no effect then the seals at each end of the cylinder are most likely worn out or missing completely. Did the cylinder used to slow at the ends of its stroke or has it always been slamming?

Back