What's new
What's new

Fanuc 0-TD / 0-T No program in library. Can't enter a new one.

George86

Plastic
Hi everyone.
I have recently got a used cnc turret lathe that has some issues that hopefully i can resolve.
So basicaly i go to edit mode on the program screen and try to write a program (library is empty, it can have 200 programs, 0 are used).
Memory lock switch is on 0, i type O0001->EOB->INSERT (i also tried O0001->INSERT->EOB) i get no response, the O0001 is displayed on the bottom of the crt but nothing. when i press INPUT i get error 86, i suppose that is the machine trying to read a program from the non existent pc at the rs232 port, so i connected an old laptop and tried to send a program that way, then i got 071, the program name doesn't exist.
I am new to Fanucs, i managed to grab the parameters and the diagnostics via the rs232 if these would be helpfull. I only managed to connect to serial after a long time searching for the rs232 parameters. The machine has no floppy disk nor a paper punch.

Are you in EDIT mode?

Is the machine "READY"?

IDK if it is this way for all Fanuc's or not, but I think that all of mine - the machine has got to be up and ready.
Seems silly, but I think they are all that way.

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Entering a new program​

Assuming that the new program number is 1234, carry out the following steps:
  • Select the EDIT mode on the MOP panel.
  • Press the PROG key on the MDI panel.
  • Type O1234 and press the INSERT key on the MDI panel.
If a program with number 1234 already exists, an error message would come. In such a case, either delete the old program or use an unused number. If no program with this number exists, then a blank program editing screen will appear with O1234 displayed in the first line and % in the second (last) line.

Try the exact same method as described above.

Entering a new program​

Assuming that the new program number is 1234, carry out the following steps:
  • Select the EDIT mode on the MOP panel.
  • Press the PROG key on the MDI panel.
  • Type O1234 and press the INSERT key on the MDI panel.
If a program with number 1234 already exists, an error message would come. In such a case, either delete the old program or use an unused number. If no program with this number exists, then a blank program editing screen will appear with O1234 displayed in the first line and % in the second (last) line.

Try the exact same method as described above.
I have tried almost that exact thing, with O0001 except if there is a problem with that number instead of the O1234 i will try it monday morning, cause why not.
In the case of O0001 it stays at the bottom (typing line) as if the insert button wasn't pressed. I don't think it is a faulty button given it works in other menus.

Program number will not make any difference.

Can you see the directory?

Edit-lock switch? Faulty? (operate it 2-3 times)

I take these last 2 posts are refering to the Program Protect key switch?
Have you confirmed this?
I would think that it would throw a fault if not, but ???

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Have you confirmed this?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
No alarm is generated if one tries to create or edit a program with the memory protected. It just doesn’t allow anything to be done.

For some scenarios having the memory protected is needed. Personally I leave unprotected all the time. One of my machines had memory protection operated by a softkey that defaulted to protected every time the machine was booted up. A quick edit to the ladder logic took care of that annoyance.

Have you confirmed this?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Not yet, i will be back at it after about 10hours from now, i will update as soon as i have news.
I want to thank everyone for your time and input.

No alarm is generated if one tries to create or edit a program with the memory protected. It just doesn’t allow anything to be done.

For some scenarios having the memory protected is needed. Personally I leave unprotected all the time. One of my machines had memory protection operated by a softkey that defaulted to protected every time the machine was booted up. A quick edit to the ladder logic took care of that annoyance.

Shirley done it a hundred times, and many more, but never note whether there is an alarm or not.

I typically keep mine on "Protect" all the time, but as the thread a cpl weeks ago showed - I was NOT keeping it on "Protect" on my newsed Swiss lathe, and it resulted in a program jump overnight. Someone mentioned the switch, and i checked it, and it was found to be off. Since I switched it ON, it's not done that.

But then that begged my conscious thought about that subject for the first time in 20+ years. "Why was I leaving this one ON, when all the rest I leave OFF?"

And I found the reason - and that is b/c the switch on these machines is on the RH side of the HMI. Any other time, when I am editing, my left hand is automagically on that switch w/o thought. I turn it to EDIT, and I turn it back - without thought.

Editing on these machines with it on the other side - I am finding to be very .... clumsy....

There is a chance that I may git a burr one day and move the switches on these machines to the LH side.
We'll see ....

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I got some news, so what i thought as memory protect key was a door switch bypass key (had a key icon with 1 on one side and 0 on the other). Figured by G122.3 not changing, and then checking the wiring diagram.
However there seems to be no such key on the machine the previous owner doesn't recall such a thing to even exist though it exists on the wiring diagram, not sure how much sense that could make.
Maybe there is a way to bypass it by the software operation panel F178.5, maybe it was like that from the factory. A tech passed parameters from a different machine lastly because something mechanical was stuck on it, maybe that machine had a physical key (the machine hasn't functioned properly since then).
Another worry is that there is no PMC board, and at startup the machine shows
"PMC: -" maybe it is an entirely optional board but as i said i am new to fanucs.

Check the status of the Protect key on the software operator panel.

1679333956350.png
Software keys may be made ON/OFF by left/right arrow keys.

Check the status of the Protect key on the software operator panel.

View attachment 390705
Software keys may be made ON/OFF by left/right arrow keys.
i found that, but changing it from protect to release didn't let me write to memory, F178.5 changed to 1. but for some reason i believe G122.3 (the physical key) either is also required logic AND or it bypasses it completely.
EDIT at least without changing something that is, maybe a parameter will let the software overide the hardware but i can't find such a thing.
The other option i am thinking is given the diagram, the data lock key is M1:12 i can start tracing were that ends. I will post a picture of the panel soon.

Last edited:
i found that, but changing it from protect to release didn't let me write to memory, F178.5 changed to 1. but for some reason i believe G122.3 (the physical key) either is also required logic AND or it bypasses it completely.
EDIT at least without changing something that is, maybe a parameter will let the software overide the hardware but i can't find such a thing.
The other option i am thinking is given the diagram, the data lock key is M1:12 i can start tracing were that ends. I will post a picture of the panel soon.
The software operator screen setting will not override a physical switch unless the machine builder wrote that into their ladder logic. G122.3 is an output of the PMC to the CNC as an input. It needs to be 1 to permit editing or creation. If you have a physical switch then it will drive an X input at an address determined by the machine builder. That X address needs to be determined and verified that it changes state when the switch state is changed.

Is there ANY program available?
You don't boot up in ANYTHING?

If you doo, can you edit it at all?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well, either we are talking aboot 2 different switches here, or you are FOS. ;)

I jist went to start a new program*, and I got this.

Red text flashing....

* Not for the sake of this thread....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Attachments

• DSCN3064.JPG
    DSCN3064.JPG
    672.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN3065.JPG
    DSCN3065.JPG
    727.6 KB · Views: 15