What's new
What's new

Fanuc 6M DNC problem

Milad Entezari

Plastic
Hi guys.
I have kitamura milling machine.
I want to connect this machine to Computer with 9 pin RS232 cable.
All the operations is correct.
I use CIMCO edit program.
It is my first to work with DNC.
The parametrs in DNC setup is.
Port:com5 stop bit:2 parity:even baud rate:9600 data bits: 7.
I put the machine in Tape mode.
And send the program to machine.
The program is.
%
O0001
G90
M00
G00 x0 y0 z50.0
S1500 m3
G0 z0
G1 x-10.0 y-10.0 F2000
G0 x0 y0 z10.0
M5
M02
M30

Just a simple program...!
After transmision complet. The alarm 003 or 006 appear in crt.
What is the problem. Could any guy help me to solve this matter....?

Hi guys.
I have kitamura milling machine.
I want to connect this machine to Computer with 9 pin RS232 cable.
All the operations is correct.
I use CIMCO edit program.
It is my first to work with DNC.
The parametrs in DNC setup is.
Port:com5 stop bit:2 parity:even baud rate:9600 data bits: 7.
I put the machine in Tape mode.
And send the program to machine.
The program is.
%
O0001
G90
M00
G00 x0 y0 z50.0
S1500 m3
G0 z0
G1 x-10.0 y-10.0 F2000
G0 x0 y0 z10.0
M5
M02
M30

Just a simple program...!
After transmision complet. The alarm 003 or 006 appear in crt.
What is the problem. Could any guy help me to solve this matter....?
You can Send from and Receive to memory, but you can't DNC (Drip Feed) to a FS6 (Model A or B) directly. You will need to install a Behind Tape Reader if you want to DNC.

Regards,

Bill

You can Send from and Receive to memory, but you can't DNC (Drip Feed) to a FS6 (Model A or B) directly. You will need to install a Behind Tape Reader if you want to DNC.

Regards,

Bill
Hi Bill.
DNC connection have not any problem.!
The mashine give alarm to program start lines...!
003 , 005 ,007
Alarms.
003Data exceeding the maximum allowable number of digits was input
005The address was not followed by the appropriate data but was followed by another address of EOB code
006Sign “-” input error (sign “-” was input after a address with which it can’t be used. Or two “-” signs were used).
007Decimal Point “.” Input error (A decimal point was input after a address with which it can’t be used. Or two decimal points were input).

Hi Bill.
DNC connection have not any problem.!
The mashine give alarm to program start lines...!
003 , 005 ,007
Alarms.
003Data exceeding the maximum allowable number of digits was input
005The address was not followed by the appropriate data but was followed by another address of EOB code
006Sign “-” input error (sign “-” was input after a address with which it can’t be used. Or two “-” signs were used).
007Decimal Point “.” Input error (A decimal point was input after a address with which it can’t be used. Or two decimal points were input).
I think you will find that they are just Ghost Alarm, because the control is not reading data from a Tape. You can waste your time examining a program that probably doesn't have any of the errors being raised, or you can get on and concetrate of fitting a BTR, if you really want to DNC to the control. I can tell you for sure, that DNC to a FS6 Control (Model A or B) is not possible without a BTR.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
Bill’s correct with the above, as usual.

I have a Fanuc 6M and 6T in my shop. The 6M has a BTR to allow DNC in Tape mode. Works a treat.

The alarms you have mean nothing. I personally haven’t had any luck with Cimco Edit in transferring programs to a 6M, but you can go down that road after installing a BTR. It connects to a grey 50 pin ribbon cable that snakes up to the Tape Reader board, converting the connection to a 25 pin serial port.

Thanks for your guide friends.
It's don....
I change the program start to this form.
%
:0001
S1000M3
G00 X0. Y0.
M30

The program transferd....

Drip feeding (DNC) versus program loading are different functions. Loading to memory is easy and can be done via RS232 serial connection on the 6 series controls. Drip feeding (DNC) a program larger than the memory size has to be done by tape mode either with a tape, a BTR (serial to parallel conversion device), or from a PC parallel port to the tape reader input using a custom parallel port driver.

Thanks for your guide friends.
It's don....
I change the program start to this form.
%
:0001
S1000M3
G00 X0. Y0.
M30

The program transferd....
Changed it from what. If that's the start of a program that you're Drip Feeding to a 6M control (and not just transferring to Memory), with no Tool Call Up and no G92 Block to set the Coordinate System before the G00 X0. Y0., that's a certain crash just waiting to happen. To say I'm skeptical is an understatement.

Are we even on the same page; do you know the difference between DNC and simply transferring a program to memory? In your opening Post you sate the following:

"After transmision complet. The alarm 003 or 006 appear in crt."

For the transmission to be completed in DNC, the program being sent in the DNC session would have to be executed Block by Block by the machine and the Control. How could you even test the program example in your first post in DNC, with no Work Coordinate System set, no Tool being called and no Tool Offset. Sure, you can set the Coordinate System externally, but its poor programming practice. I certainly wouldn't be confident to press the Start Button on your example program in a DNC session.

I grew up with FS6 controls, and specialized in RS232 communication to all models of controls. Wrote my own Editor/Coms software and worked with the company HyCam Controls, who, at the time, developed a BTR for controls lacking the ability to transfer data from external devices to memory, or DNC. I've lost count of the number of FS6 controls that I've worked with over the years to set up a DNC facility, mainly M controls, but it would easily be close to one thousand and never have I experienced an FS6 control where you could DNC to the control via the DB25 Female connector on the Control and an RS232 configured cable via Tape Mode without a BTR installed; it was always the case described by Kevin, AKA Vancbiker.

Following is the BTR we used at the time, installed on a 6M control. The connection shown in the Red Square is the RS232 cable connection from a PC disassembled and mounted inside the control enclosure.

If there had have been another way, we would have used it; we didn't fit a BTR just for the heck of it.

BTR3.JPG

Last edited:
If one carefully reads a Fanuc 6 maintenance manual section describing how to troubleshoot RS232 problems, one of the steps is to verify that the control is in Memory or Edit modes. Tape mode is not mentioned.

@Larry Dickman:
If possible, please post the parameters and settings you used to make DNC work by RS232 on a 6 control. Also post the machine make and model. It will be interesting to understand how you did it.

Back