What's new
What's new

Fanuc Control - send programs over ethernet idea

Simtech

Plastic
Hi All,

I was fed up manually ferrying programs to my machine using PCMCIA Flash card. So have been looking in to ethernet connection, even purchased Fanuc program transfer tool. I was having issues connecting to my machine (Fanuc Oi-MD control 2015). Using DNC has a big advantage in that you can load a new/updated program to the card, insert it into the machine and provided it has the same program number, you just press cycle start and away it goes (as opposed to the CNC memory where you have to delete the old program before loading the new one which is time consuming). I also dont like the idea of DNC via ethernet for obvious reasons.

This got me thinking an ideal solution here would be if I leave the PCMCIA card in the machine - If I could find a PCMCIA card that had flash storage but also was read/writable via Ethernet (or even wifi) I could send new code to the card via ethernet (with machine stopped) and just press cycle start once copied across. This would solve all my issues with having to physically remove/insert/remove/insert the card between the machine and PC but would also have all the benefits of running the machine via DMC from a PCMCIA flash card. And furthermore would get over the headache of connecting to the machine embedded ethernet - and would help people who dont have ethernet enabled machines.

The question is - does anybody know of a PCMCIA card that is a flash card that is readable/writable via Ethernet or even USB come to think of it (might be way easier) So the PCMCIA card would have a ethernet/USB port located on the back of the card for read/write with a long ethernet/USB lead going between card and PC.

Would be really interested if anybody knows of such a card? all I can find is PCMCIA Ethernet adapter cards....

Hmmm, I've never seen a card like that but perhaps others have come across it. If that doesn't exist you might consider an ethernet to serial unit. You would be on ethernet, have a lot of local storage, and have the ability to download, upload and dnc.

Hi All,

..... (as opposed to the CNC memory where you have to delete the old program before loading the new one which is time consuming).

Sorry I can be no help to your big picture idea. Good luck with that. What I can offer is that when trying to copy over a program to the Control that already exists and you get an alarm, there is a parameter that will change that and allow the program to be overwritten without alarm. I'm pretty sure this is a Fannuc thing and not a MTB one. Dig through your Parameter manual. It's got to be there somewhere.

I’ve got my first fanuc machine on the way so thinking about this too. What I was planning to do is to get a cheap mini pc off ebay and install it close to the machine dedicated to this machine. The pc would be network connected and hooked to the fanuc control via serial connection. I’ve done this with other machines in the past and liked it.

This sounds like an interesting idea but I’ve never heard of something like this available. For a DIY home brew operation it might be something that is good enough to save a bit over the cost of upgrading Fanuc hardware. The data server option is the most robust way of running modern nc programs on Fanuc controls that I know of. No special software is required once the option is installed. I will be following to see other ideas on the topic.

Hi,

I have gained interest in reading and understanding about Fanuc Controllers and CNC machines. I am interested to know if it is possible to:
1. Connect a CNC machine with Fanuc Controller (0i-TF Plus), having USB and Ethernet Slot (and possibility to activate FOCAS) to a PC or a Raspberry Pi
2. Transfer real time data from Controller to PC/Raspberry Pi (eg: part count, cycle rate, idle time or any other data it is already recording)

If yes, please walk me down with what all tools, software and hardware I require. As per my research, theoretically, no hardware is required (I am just a beginner, so feel free to correct me) - we only need to establish connection between Controller and PC/Ra Pi using FOCAS and/or FTP (correction needed) and then write a code to transfer data from Controller to PC/Ra Pi (validation needed).

Can somebody experienced guide me and validate my thought process? Is it possible to do this with Ethernet+FOCAS+PC/Pi or additional hardware is required? Is there any other way of doing this?

Thank you,
Shubham

Hi All,

I was fed up manually ferrying programs to my machine using PCMCIA Flash card. So have been looking in to ethernet connection, even purchased Fanuc program transfer tool. I was having issues connecting to my machine (Fanuc Oi-MD control 2015). Using DNC has a big advantage in that you can load a new/updated program to the card, insert it into the machine and provided it has the same program number, you just press cycle start and away it goes (as opposed to the CNC memory where you have to delete the old program before loading the new one which is time consuming). I also dont like the idea of DNC via ethernet for obvious reasons.

This got me thinking an ideal solution here would be if I leave the PCMCIA card in the machine - If I could find a PCMCIA card that had flash storage but also was read/writable via Ethernet (or even wifi) I could send new code to the card via ethernet (with machine stopped) and just press cycle start once copied across. This would solve all my issues with having to physically remove/insert/remove/insert the card between the machine and PC but would also have all the benefits of running the machine via DMC from a PCMCIA flash card. And furthermore would get over the headache of connecting to the machine embedded ethernet - and would help people who dont have ethernet enabled machines.

The question is - does anybody know of a PCMCIA card that is a flash card that is readable/writable via Ethernet or even USB come to think of it (might be way easier) So the PCMCIA card would have a ethernet/USB port located on the back of the card for read/write with a long ethernet/USB lead going between card and PC.

Would be really interested if anybody knows of such a card? all I can find is PCMCIA Ethernet adapter cards....
I have been tinkering with the idea of a pcmcia sram card with usb; the issue is that the investment in time and money is way too large for me. It requires a commitment for a dubious market. Want to invest?...

Back