What's new
What's new

Fanuc lathe spindle sync chuck clamped error

Nick1108

Plastic
I am having trouble syncing spindles with the sub spindle clamped. Trying to sync them with an insert on the sub spindle wich goes into the part on the main spindle before parting off.
The machine (CMZ lathe) errors out because the sub spindle is clamped.

Does anybody know if there is a way to override this?

Weird... my Mori lathe doesn't have that problem that I can think of. Must be a MTB thing.
Wonder if you could change the setting in the control's Operation Panel and tell it that it's ID clamping instead of OD. Or does Sync have to see a transition to make it work? From what I hear you say, you're not actuating the sub spindle chuck at all throughout the entire job.

Last edited:
Many MTBs don't allow the spindles to sync from a dead stop when they're clamped on a part.
Start the main first and let the sub coast with it, then engage sync.

Many MTBs don't allow the spindles to sync from a dead stop when they're clamped on a part.
Start the main first and let the sub coast with it, then engage sync.
See... my Mori will totally do that. It has a special sync move it does once after it's been turned on, (both clamped or not) but after that it will start and stop with both clamped no problem. In fact, I've never done it the way your comment suggests, though I don't doubt that it will. I guess each MTB sees things differently. The worst pat of it is, starting and stopping in Sync really slows things down. Regenerative braking is held at or under 50%. Acceleration is sluggish too. I try to turn it off a soon as possible in the cutoff cycle or whenever it's used.

See... my Mori will totally do that. It has a special sync move it does once after it's been turned on, (both clamped or not) but after that it will start and stop with both clamped no problem. In fact, I've never done it the way your comment suggests, though I don't doubt that it will. I guess each MTB sees things differently. The worst pat of it is, starting and stopping in Sync really slows things down. Regenerative braking is held at or under 50%. Acceleration is sluggish too. I try to turn it off a soon as possible in the cutoff cycle or whenever it's used.
The reason is usually the spindle drive(s).
I used to work for Doosan/DNS and this was normal for our sub spindle machines. Crank one up and let the other coast, once up to speed, then sync.

Back