What's new
What's new

Fanuc Modes- Auto, MDI, JOG etc OMD

marsheng

Aluminum
During a refurbishment, we lost the parameters and the backup was corrupt !!!
The machine is currently not operational.
We had had copies of the parameters and these have been downloaded into the machine

There is something not right and I can't put my finger on it

Each time I start the machines I get Auto, MDI, EDIT etc come up on the screen
at random. I can't change the operation with the buttons.

When pressing the buttons, it all traces through, the X Y D and R registers
change, LEDs come on but the screen remains in what ever state it booted in.

How can the D and F registers change and the screen stays fixed ?

Attachments

• Modes.pdf
    7.8 KB · Views: 11
I suspect your trouble is deeper than this, but is the machine in e-stop? On my 0MB equipped machine, when it is e-stop, it will be in MDI mode and will not change regardless of what mode button is pressed.

E-Stop in or out makes no difference. I have the ladder logic and all performs correctly. It looks like the controller is not reading a register correctly. I'm wondering if it is a special parameter option. I believe that is the link between Fanuc and the machine builder.

I had a hard copy with the machine. Same serial number as the machine. I OCR the document and loaded it all fine. Most things started to work. Tried to get info on the 900 series but came up blank. I think that is were the problem may be.

If you do not enter the correct values in the 900 series, things won't work right. As far as the original problem you have, one of the 900 series sets the PMC (PLC in Fanucspeak) type and maximum step number (maximum number of rungs). If the configuration parameter does not match the hardware, it's quite likely going to do odd things.

Tried talking to Fanuc and they said it was confidential !!!!

I have 2 900 printouts, one from a 2000 machine and one from my 2002. Small differences but neither work correctly. Do you have any info on this ?

Tried talking to Fanuc and they said it was confidential !!!!

I have 2 900 printouts, one from a 2000 machine and one from my 2002. Small differences but neither work correctly. Do you have any info on this ?
Send me your print outs in a Private Message. I’ll have a look at them and see if anything stands out. The forum owner does not want this type data public to avoid getting contacted in a negative way by Fanuc.

Reactions: aj
Just thinking out loud, what do you mean "during refurbishment" ? Were boards taken out or replaced, connectors disconnected, etc?

Just thinking out loud in case options are installed correctly.

I assume you've confirmed the parameters you sent / set manually are what the backup says they should be?

Also, have you installed PMC parameters (the "D" diagnostic parameters)? Some of those may affect operation. And how are you seeing the diagnostic bits changing if you can't change screens?

The new machine needed access on all 4 sides. Wasn't going to fit into my workshop. I had to completely rearrange my workshop, new desks, new power, new air etc. Took longer than expended. Fanuc said the batteries would last a year, but I think if the machine is not turned on, then it is shorter. The batteries went flat. The refurbishment is the tables, pillowblocks balls screws etc. When I came to turn it on to test limit switches, found the batteries dead. The backup I had was corrupted.

Not a good place to be, however 'when' I get it going, I'll know it very well through this exercise.

Modified ballscrew lube.

Tool changer powercoated

Inners with epoxy paint

Saddle repainted

Attachments

• Ballscrew_Lube.JPG
    Ballscrew_Lube.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 10
  • Inners_repainted.JPG
    Inners_repainted.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Saddle_Painted.JPG
    Saddle_Painted.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PowderCoat.JPG
    PowderCoat.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 10
Most works but the MDI,EDIT, JOG does not change on the screen when I press the buttons. The bits do change.
I can view all the parameters, diagnostics alarms etc. I cannot however enter any diagnostic values. Seems like it has been disabled. I can do parameters.

The only diagnostics you'll be able to change are ones with a D label, not XYR etc

So, likely ones in the 400-600 range. But they could be almost any number.

You seem like you may already know that, just stating in case you don't.

I have the full printed ladder logic and I copied the 2 eproms. I would like to change some things so I can see the ladder !!! I cant seem to find a working Ladder editing program that reads eproms files. Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• Ladder_Diagram.JPG
    Ladder_Diagram.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 7
Mine is ladder protected.
You can enter data on the screen but I dont know what to and how to do it.

Attachments

• Pg309.JPG
    Pg309.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Ladder_Diagram.JPG
    Ladder_Diagram.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 11
Does it prompt you for a password?

I would try to input 5555 as a password as a starting point.

Edit: i think i remember you having the short keypad, it might not physically let you type 5555 because it will default to typing a letter first.

Edit edit: I'm not convinced that your issue is not option parameter related. Does the screen have soft key buttons under it? Do any menus show up on the screen for the soft keys? Did you talk to vancbiker in private message? Did he get you sorted at all?

It just seems you're all over the place in what you're trying to do. You have a machine that is acting weird, and you're pulling eproms, trying to open the ladder on a computer. The ladder is super helpful in diagnosing but without it, you still have bits to check. Beyond that, the ladder should not fail and doubtful the ladder is a culprit. Unless it was messed up when reading it? What did you use to read it, anyway? If the ladder was fubar, I think you'd have way more issues than a menu not changing.

It really sounds like something that having someone in on a service call might be actually worth it. Sometimes the problem is we can only help so far on the computer, but it isn't the same as being there. I am confident a person like vancbiker might have it figured out in a few hours. Maybe.

Edit edit edit: You said you can't change diagnostic parameters? You ARE turning on PWE before trying to change them, right? You also need to be in MDI.

Last edited:
I am a bit all over the place. With the time difference, I get one to 2 messages a day and then have to wait 24 hours for the next so I'm trying heaps of things in the mean time.

PWE is on - I can write Parameters but not diagnostics.

MDI - I cant get into MDI mode from the push buttons. Each time I switch on, I get a random mode selected. It is like the Fanuc is not reading a set register and takes a value at random. I get EDIT AUTO MDI EDIT ZERO

LADDER - I really was just looking at the eproms to see if I can read them which I have done. Now I can make a copy for future.

EDIT - No soft keys. See my panel. The mode is read from the push buttons and ladder. My guess is it reads the D580 register. This changes depending on push buttons but the screen does not reflect it.

SERVICE DESK. Tried many times but have not had much success.

PASSWORD. Does not actually ask for one but the prompt is ADRS and if you push a few buttons, it changes to NUM and it then seems to take a letter and then a number.

The main thing I want at the moment is the screen to reflect the mode.
Second is, I read the parameter file with RS232 after setting N0900 and N0901, but I now cant send it back out, or the diagnostics.

I appreciate all you time. Thanks very much.

Attachments

• FrontPanel.JPG
    FrontPanel.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 8
Well, soft keys below the screen is a fanuc option (one of the 900 parameter bits) and since you have buttons there, i find it likely that you're supposed to have the option turned on.

Which brings me full circle on whether or not you have the parameters put in the machine correctly.

My suggestion? Screenshots of your option parameter printout and the parameters shown on the screen.

Back