What's new
What's new

Fanuc O-M will not send or receive programs from new computer?

onlygm

Plastic
Hoping someone can help me out. Had Hamai 6VA with Fanuc O-M sending and receiving programs with no issues. The hard drive on the computer went bad and we had to replace the computer. The new computer didn't have the DB9/RS232 plug in the back so i had to order a card online. I installed the new card and loaded the driver, updated the settings on the port to match my DNC program and Fanuc control(Port1, Baud 300, Pariety Even, Data 7, Stop 2) It says its ready to use and working correctly. I reattached the same cable that was working with the old computer and when i go to send the program from the machine it blinks LSK as it did, then i click receive and it just sits there. I read something about Fifo buffers but the port i bought doesn't have that in the advanced settings like my old one did. I debated jumping into the Parameters 2&38 but thought about it and i feel like it should just work. I didnt change anything on the Fanuc side, nor the cable. Just a different computer. Any ideas on what the issue may be would be appreciated. Thinking its something small, but running in circles trying to figure it out. Please Help.

Hoping someone can help me out. Had Hamai 6VA with Fanuc O-M sending and receiving programs with no issues. The hard drive on the computer went bad and we had to replace the computer. The new computer didn't have the DB9/RS232 plug in the back so i had to order a card online. I installed the new card and loaded the driver, updated the settings on the port to match my DNC program and Fanuc control(Port1, Baud 300, Pariety Even, Data 7, Stop 2) It says its ready to use and working correctly. I reattached the same cable that was working with the old computer and when i go to send the program from the machine it blinks LSK as it did, then i click receive and it just sits there. I read something about Fifo buffers but the port i bought doesn't have that in the advanced settings like my old one did. I debated jumping into the Parameters 2&38 but thought about it and i feel like it should just work. I didnt change anything on the Fanuc side, nor the cable. Just a different computer. Any ideas on what the issue may be would be appreciated. Thinking its something small, but running in circles trying to figure it out. Please Help.
It doesn't sound like the PC is actually sending anything. Do you have an RS232 tester?

I do have a tester i will plug it in now and see what it reads. or if it is even sending a signal when i click the send or receive button
As Vancbiker said. When the machine is flashing LSK its waiting for you to send it a program. If your sending from the machine to the PC. Not sure what software your using but for us It goes like this for a Fanuc OM. We are using Predator FYI. Set the PC to receive, go to machine and type in program number you want to send to PC. For Instance O1234 and there should be a green key on the control that says Output Start. Push that. Now you should see output where you would see LSK when sending to machine.

Yea i get that but it used to switch from LSK to input when i would send program. it doesnt change states like it used too.
In the original post, you said you were trying to send from the machine to the PC. So you would type O1234 OUTPUT START

Even if there was something wrong with communications, the control would be flashing OUTPUT as it tried to send. Unless nothing was plugged into the machine's rs232, or poor rs232 wiring.

If it is flashing LSK, you must have hit O1234 INPUT, and the machine is waiting for the computer to send it something.

So as you wrote it, you are hitting INPUT and waiting for the computer to receive something.

Yea i get that but it used to switch from LSK to input when i would send program. it doesnt change states like it used too.
OK, in my earlier post I bolded and underlined the word receive that was in your original post. Typo maybe on your end? When the machine says LSK you need to send, not receive at the PC.

As Vancbiker said. When the machine is flashing LSK its waiting for you to send it a program. If your sending from the machine to the PC. Not sure what software your using but for us It goes like this for a Fanuc OM. We are using Predator FYI. Set the PC to receive, go to machine and type in program number you want to send to PC. For Instance O1234 and there should be a green key on the control that says Output Start. Push that. Now you should see output where you would see LSK when sending to machine.
Thank you for the example, and patience. I did as you said with an exception i usually do type in program #, output before hitting receive on the pc side. I use Predator as well. I tried both ways sending the output command before asking to receive on pc followed by hitting receive first and then outputting on fanuc. It does flash output on screen but im not getting anything on the pc. I also tried doing the same for the input, as i was able to send a program from fanuc to pc a few days ago. when trying to send i type an empty program number input and it flashes LSK, i then go to pc with program pulled up and hit send. The screen pops up and instantly goes to 97% and says waiting for flow control. ive been running this machine for 10 years and pretty familiar with that aspect, im just not understanding why its not sending or receiving anything, when the cable i have is the same as before and all parameters are the same. Im thinking it has to be something with the port i installed. im just kind of lost of what else to try. I even tried uninstalling port drive software, moving card to a different open slot and reinstalling diver software. it says port is ready to use and working properly but clearly it aint workin.

I do have a tester i will plug it in now and see what it reads. or if it is even sending a signal when i click the send or receive button

Thank you for the example, and patience. I did as you said with an exception i usually do type in program #, output before hitting receive on the pc side. I use Predator as well. I tried both ways sending the output command before asking to receive on pc followed by hitting receive first and then outputting on fanuc. It does flash output on screen but im not getting anything on the pc. I also tried doing the same for the input, as i was able to send a program from fanuc to pc a few days ago. when trying to send i type an empty program number input and it flashes LSK, i then go to pc with program pulled up and hit send. The screen pops up and instantly goes to 97% and says waiting for flow control. ive been running this machine for 10 years and pretty familiar with that aspect, im just not understanding why its not sending or receiving anything, when the cable i have is the same as before and all parameters are the same. Im thinking it has to be something with the port i installed. im just kind of lost of what else to try. I even tried uninstalling port drive software, moving card to a different open slot and reinstalling diver software. it says port is ready to use and working properly but clearly it aint workin.
If it was working before and you just changed PC It almost has to have something to do with that. You said you bought a card. What card did u get?

Do the ports show up in Device Manager (assuming you are running Windows of some flavor)?
This is a good point. You should be able to see your Linkstek In the device manager. You need to see what COM port that's using. It should have two COM ports related to It. One for each DB9. Verify the settings on the COM port are correct.

Now In Predator you need to go to the DNC tab. Then properties. Make sure you have the same COM port and settings selected there that your Linkstek Is using.

Here's a screenshot of my settings for a FANUC OM

DNC PROPERTIES.jpg

Last edited:
I have both my '91 Haas and Slant Jr. set up with hardware handshake. Still, the transmit buffer on the PC has to be set to 1. Otherwise it will overflow the machine's buffer before the handshake can stop it.

This is a good point. You should be able to see your Linkstek In the device manager. You need to see what COM port that's using. It should have two COM ports related to It. One for each DB9. Verify the settings on the COM port are correct.

Now In Predator you need to go to the DNC tab. Then properties. Make sure you have the same COM port and settings selected there that your Linkstek Is using.

Here's a screenshot of my settings for a FANUC OM

View attachment 415403
So i double and triple checked all those things before even seeing this post. That would be an easy mistake. Understanding all the terms and and what they actually do can get welming. especially reading through the parameters so see if i need to tweak something. Good news though!!! So on predatorc on the top where is says Template it didnt have anything selected. Which i totally overlooked for the last day. I switched it to 3AXVMILL. I can now send programs from Fanuc to PC. I am starting with the low baud because in the past if i had it set to high it would start sending and throw some alarm. Assuming because it was either sending too fast or the computer couldn't accept it quick enough. Now that i have figured that out I can confirm my port on PC is working. Still not able to send program back to Fanuc which i will be tinkering with today. I attempted sending the identical program i sent just sent over back and it didnt do anything. It has the little header &HE:% before the program and % at the end.

I have both my '91 Haas and Slant Jr. set up with hardware handshake. Still, the transmit buffer on the PC has to be set to 1. Otherwise it will overflow the machine's buffer before the handshake can stop it.
I have debated that, but i know some of the parameters i have are set for Xon/Xoff (Software) and i really dont want to tinker with that considering it worked before. Im also not too sure if the same cable im running would work with hardware handshake. I had a hell of a time figureing out the cable a few years back. Such old school technology, and with the internet everyone had there opinion on cables/combinations. A task with multiple ways of achieving the same goal. At the end of the day its all about finding a system that works. Currently have machine sending programs to PC but working on getting the programs sent the other way!

The setting that used to get me often was FIFO buffers. Turn FIFO buffers OFF if they aren't already.
Hey! So i had that issue with the last computer, and had adjusted both sldie tabs on the FIFO buffer all the way down. I did some poking around and in device manager, would the 2 ports went into port settings and advanced and I didnt find any FIFO settings for this card whatsoever.

Do the ports show up in Device Manager (assuming you are running Windows of some flavor)?
Yes indeed they both show up in device manager and like i mentioned i have uninstalled driver softerware and reloaded it. Running Windows 7 Pro with 64 bit OP. Which i had to select when choosing the driver software to load. Good news that i found this morning was something very simple in Predator. On the top where it says template. I didn't have anything selected. I switched it over to 3AXVMILL and so soon as i did that, i was able to send the programs from Fanuc to PC and they were being received int he same format as before. Unfortunately sending from PC back to Fanuc still isnt working. 50% there. what a darn headache. Always one click away.

Hey! So i had that issue with the last computer, and had adjusted both sldie tabs on the FIFO buffer all the way down. I did some poking around and in device manager, would the 2 ports went into port settings and advanced and I didnt find any FIFO settings for this card whatsoever.
Thats a windows Port deal. Not surprised you don't have those settings on your card. My card doesn't have those settings either.

Back