What's new
What's new

Favorite wall organizer system? Bonus if shop-makeable

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
What's everyone's favorite way to hang things on the wall in the shop? I'm thinking of drills, chargers, batteries, brooms, grinders, mechanic's creeper, jack stands, etc.

I have Listas for the machining area and a Stronghold for the fab area, but for misc stuff like I listed above, those aren't a great fit.

I've seen woodworkers using systems like french cleat, have seen custom solutions for specific tools (I use upside down angle iron to hang my angle grinder from), and commercial systems at the big box stores.

Given my location, something I can make here (either metal or wood) would save using cargo container space to import it later. I have lots of fab capability and availability of angle, sheet, bar, and thin tube stock.

Anyone have a general system they really like for this kind of thing?

I seen some guys the other day and they had a tool trailer but I seen no real difference.
They had what looked like three or four inch diameter they cut a groove out to slide the screw gun or other tool handles in and had them hanging from above. I thought it was an ingenues system for cheap.

Definitely home made and possibly one of the things you need. My 1MT and 2MT imperial drills on the wall. I need to re-site it a bit, but the concept works:-

taper-drills.jpg

The heavier stuff gets angle or bent flat bar brackets made to fit.

For the lighter and smaller things 3D printed holders are great. There's a ton of designs on sites like Thingaverse for cordless tool batteries and the like. You can go from wish to solution in about five minutes of your time, a few hours of unattended print time, and $0.60 of filament.

Wood turning tool storage trays on wall. Using magnet bars to hold stuff.
The trays have beveled piece of wood on the back which drop into a opposing bevel with a piece of wood on the wall.
A couple of beveled aluminum pieces would be stronger.
DSC_1445.JPGDSC_1448.JPG

On the back of a tray is a board with a 45 degree bevel.
DSC_1444.JPG

On the wall there is a board with a opposing bevel to the board on the tool tray.
DSC_1442.JPG

Unconventional use of corner braces.
I use them side-ways for low weight shelves.
DSC_1447.JPG DSC_1446.JPG

Last edited:
3/4” plywood Tapconed to all the concrete walls are a good start. I hang constant need tools on a screw of appropriate size. You can add a block with holes or a shelf any where it’s needed. Changes are easy and overall cost is as good as it gets. Most hints that fit live in steel tool box’s with thin drawers so things aren't stacked on top of each other. The leaf idea mentioned above sounds like it could have good merit
if done right.
If you can’t find it you can’t use it.

Almost everyting I do is either shallow rivet rack shelving from U-line or uni-strut. I have one complete wall were every stud is plated with 13/16" unistrut 'floor to ceiling". Not much you cannot hang on unistrut.

Go have a look on ebay at "Air Tool Holders" "Vise-Grip Racks" and so forth. Lots of cottage industry paraphernalia for small tool storage. No lack of ideas

I can hardly reach any of the walls in my shop...so anything that gets hung on a wall will stay there a long time.
Is that because you are 3 foot tall or there are other things in the way :D

Pegboard for me, too. When hooks don't work or can't store stuff as densely as I'd like special made racks out of whatever screwed to the pegboard.

It has always been my intention to make poster board silhouettes behind the tools so I know where they go back. That hasn't happened yet.

The problem with pegboard hooks is they sometimes pop out when you pick up the tool. Haven't ever figured out how to deal with that except with the fancier hooks that have a screw retainer and they cost quite a bit more.

Pegboard for me, too. When hooks don't work or can't store stuff as densely as I'd like special made racks out of whatever screwed to the pegboard.

It has always been my intention to make poster board silhouettes behind the tools so I know where they go back. That hasn't happened yet.

The problem with pegboard hooks is they sometimes pop out when you pick up the tool. Haven't ever figured out how to deal with that except with the fancier hooks that have a screw retainer and they cost quite a bit more.
if you never clean anything eventually you have the auto silhouette system.

With the hooks being so expensive I found that you can buy wire and make your own designs using a spot welder to join the pieces.

I also have been using peg board. I try to get the heavy duty type or even the plastic ones. The thing I don't like about it is it wastes so much space with a full inch between every hanger. It helps if you get specialized hangers which can hold multiple tools. I also get the small, plastic bins that mount on the peg board and then put hard foam or wood blocks in them with holes for smaller tools.

I have a small square of peg board on the head of my mill where I have a number of dedicated tools that I use there at hand at all times. It is attached with neo magnets and some angle brackets that just sit on the top of the mill's head so I can easily take it off when I want to tilt the mill's head. And then it just pops back on afterwards. I also have peg board behind both of my lathes, SB and Unimat. I will probably add more when I install a couple of work benches at some future time.

P173R800x600.JPG

I guess that photo says I have worked around the wasted space problem with some success.

Back