What's new
What's new

Feeds speeds recommendation for a low alloy steel for a better tool life in aHSM

abdulhameed

Plastic
I am machining a low alloy steel having hardness of 35 to 37 HRC. I am using a 10mm Carbide Endmill of ISCAR having 4 flutes, I am using DOC of 24mm. Kindly help me in finding out best feed and speed parameter with radia width of cut and feed per tooth so that the tool can survive longer too

I am machining a low alloy steel having hardness of 35 to 37 HRC. I am using a 10mm Carbide Endmill of ISCAR having 4 flutes, I am using DOC of 24mm. Kindly help me in finding out best feed and speed parameter with radia width of cut and feed per tooth so that the tool can survive longer too
Here's a good starting point;
3200 RPM
700mm/min
2mm stepover / radial DOC
24mm axial DOC
10mm carbide with 4 flutes, assuming TiAlN coated

Play with your feedrate override and spindle speed override to get higher material removal rates, the parameters I listed are conservative for not breaking something but the cut is only 3kw.

Here's a good starting point;
3200 RPM
700mm/min
2mm stepover / radial DOC
24mm axial DOC
10mm carbide with 4 flutes, assuming TiAlN coated

Play with your feedrate override and spindle speed override to get higher material removal rates, the parameters I listed are conservative for not breaking something but the cut is only 3kw.
Thank you so much for great help!!

I have a machine having spindle power of 10 kilowatt. Would it be OK to operate with optimal load/ stepover of 2mm? can I reduce the stepover to reduce noise?keeping in consideration 37 HRC Kindly suggest please!

Last edited:

Back