What's new
What's new

FEIN QuickIN annular cutters in ER32 collet chuck?

drummerdimitri

Plastic
Would it be possible to securely clamp a FEIN QuickIN style annular cutter to an ER32 collet chuck?

The reason I ask is because the diameter of the shaft is not consistent, about 60-70% of it is 18 mm in diameter and the middle part is slightly recessed at around 17.80 mm.

Attachments

• 1F8F3ED8-B978-4508-B9F1-0146734E6D00_7.jpg
    1F8F3ED8-B978-4508-B9F1-0146734E6D00_7.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 19
If the gripping depth of the collet covers both full diameter sections of the shank, I think it would work fine.

Depending on who made your collets and how well they followed the industry dimensional standards, 32 series collets should be 40 mm in length. Measure where the collet will tighten on the tool shank and if it grips the full diameter sections by a fair amount on both ends as Henrya said it should work just fine. Maybe worth adding in case you don't already know this? That 18 mm is towards the upper maximum size ER 32's will grip. Recommended torque on the closing nut for the larger 32's is 100 ft. lbs. Arguable an annular cutter would ever need that much of course, but strangely many don't seem to know the torque specs for the various ER collet series. Imo and since your obviously going to have a reduced section on the tool shank that's not being held by the collet, I'd still want a high amount of torque on that closing nut.

The 3/4 shank holders for the cutters are handy. They have a spring loaded center for the pilot/ejector pin. If using a mill (extremely rigid compared to mag drill/shop drill press) the slug glues itself inside the cutter without it.

Back