What's new
What's new

Fiber Laser depths and times-save our spindles

BOB-OO

Cast Iron
I've seen a few post with people asking about inexpensive Chinese fiber lasers. We got one about a year ago and are happy with it. I don't sell this equipment nor am I an expert, my interest was basically to avoid having to run large expensive spindles at high rpm. I found this useful so here's MHO...

What you see here is a 50W fiber laser (galvo-uses internal moving mirrors to move the beam around) with a 110mm lens which is swappable with other wider field lenses. Larger lenses will reduce overall power especially at the edges while increasing the lasing area. Similar to an EDM burn, material hardness doesn't slow the process, reflectivity of the surface does. Its faster to label hard tool steel then shinny 6061. We can adjust all kinds of settings to leave a white, black or gray surface (some laser sources are much better and worse doing this). The unit operates with terrible, buggy spyware, EzCAD2, on mostly any windows computer which connects by USB port, we have the computer segregated with no internet or network connection. It's not hard to put much fancier pictures or text into the software, using vector files. Inkscape or Photoshop will do anything you could imagine, then move the art into the ezcad2 for burning. We have a rotary which works fine to put a flat image into a curved surface.

The pictures are with no cleanup or consideration for aesthetics, just quick labels, the heavier ablated material lands wherever and welds/sticks itself to the plate, easy to remove with a stone or file. We have an OK 2" suction line removing the burnt junk and nasty air, a higher volume system would remove more stuff and leave the product cleaner. 1st pic is typical of how we use it, to permanently label tools & fixtures. The lettering depth is about .005+" and took 3m16sec. 2nd pic same depth, bigger letters 26 seconds. 3rd- a little bluing for contrast. This is on 6061-t651 material. The deeper you want to go the longer it takes, .002"-.005 very quick, .007"-.015 is going to need a few minutes.

This system is very manual, you can get the same hardware with better software to sequential label for 4 or 5x the price of one of these. All in about 7k, with a few lenses, some fixturing and accessories. Laser sources can vary in quality so do some investigating to find out who makes the one your getting and if it will do all the things you want.

Happy other kind of burning!!

Attachments

• 2-sm.jpg
    2-sm.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 3-sm.jpg
    3-sm.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 41
What do you find buggy in EzCAD?
You say you have suction. Do the filters load up quickly and maintenance of them a problem? This one a pain in my butt doing production work on auto parts.
Opposite end is the bar code on each part gave traceability to the minute which is so great if something goes south in the process.
Tried any air blow off during the cutting? Good idea, bad idea?
It seems weird that hardness does not matter to a laser. PCD and CBN is way harder than carbide and similar in construction. Guess which one goes away much faster?
In what world do you have to dial way back the cutting parameters for PCD tools versa cuts in nice soft 6061.
What are the height of pictured numbers and letters?
I am no expert but see some bips on the zeros that if used for maching maybe ask why.
This is engraving. Wall angle if you run many times and go deep?
Many think a laser will cut a nice line in Z. Not my experience. The higher mag lenses are worse at it.
Maybe you trade resolution and spot size for angle or go five axis with some guess from the software if you need deep cuts.
You also seem to have control of pulse width and repetition rate. Played with this and what sort of gains or loss?
Bob

Back