What's new
What's new

Finally picked up a #4 Atlas Arbor Press for the collection.

jeff76

Cast Iron
Been looking for a compound arbor press for awhile now. Finally picked one up a week or two ago. Needs a little work but should turn out nice I think. Got it all apart and the paint removed. Heres a few pics. More later.

Jeff

Attachments

• arbor press 1.jpg
    arbor press 1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 60
  • arbor press 2.jpg
    arbor press 2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 58
  • arbor 4.jpg
    arbor 4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 57
  • arbor 3.jpg
    arbor 3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 57
Have wanted an arbor press for years, but have not ran into one yet. Have to suffer through with my 40 ton Manley and a newer "H" frame Ramco hydraulic 55 ton. Ramco is American made from around 1990. Nice, stout press. Manley is ancient, leaks a bit, but works fine.

Don't replace the bent handle. Straighten that one. I did on mine, it's stayed straight for years now.

I'm used to Famco, but I am not seeing compound parts. You sure?

Don't replace the bent handle. Straighten that one. I did on mine, it's stayed straight for years now.

I'm used to Famco, but I am not seeing compound parts. You sure?
I do plan to just straighten that handle. I have already removed the cheater pipe that someone had on it. They also had welded a piece on top of the ram that they had been hitting on, which I removed also. Hated to see that on there but at least that is better than if they had mushroomed the ram itself. I plan to use this as it was meant to be used and use my 75ton Dake hydraulic press for the stuff beyond this presses limits.
Yes to the compound question. There are two sliding pins used to go from single leverage to compound mode. I dont have any other pics to demonstrate this right now and am not home to take them. This press is just like the current Dake press if you would like to see manufacturers specs. Just bear in mind that it is made in a single leverage and compound leverage model both and they sometimes use a single leverage pic in their compound model advertising. I believe that Dake bought the Atlas press line in the 40's. I actually ordered a few things for a #4 Dake for this press.

Thanks,
Jeff

Back