What's new
What's new

Finishing adjustment in live tooling turning

M Code

Aluminum
Hello..

In normal milling during finishing we will use G41 and use wear offset (tool offset compensation) for adjustment

in CNC turning which uses turret with live tooling:

In Fanuc controller during the setup of the living tool we touch off along X and Z and the controller will not ask about the diameter of the tool.. in case of radial tool we will substract Z value geometric offset value to half the tool diameter. Then if we machine using that radial tool during fishing we will adjust the value in Y wear. and finishing program may split into two path one for upper side and another lower side using different Y wear. ( + , -)

In Mazak controller we can work as above but I saw code that uses G41 for live tooling operation on OD I think we can use it as normal milling G41 since the controller ask about ACT-ø and has ACT-ø CO?

I am really confused someone understand that process in both controllers and can explain to me if what mentioned above is correct

Thanks.......

You shouldn’t have to be adjusting using Y offsets. It should come from tool radius. Are you machining in the correct planes with your live tooling? No experience with either control for live tooling just thinking Fanuc control would be fairly similar to Haas live tooling. Is there a column where you input insert rads? Thats where endmill rads also go.

For example below code:

Flat milling on OD

C0.
M89
G41 Y-0.0635 Z-0.767
Z-3.2133
G40 Y0.0396 Z-3.3919
Y-0.0396
G41 Y0.0635 Z-3.2133
Z-0.767
G40 Y-0.0396 Z-0.5884
G0 X6.5
M90

can we run it in Fanuc? the controller doesn't include tool radius compensation but Mazak does has ACT-ø CO

You shouldn’t have to be adjusting using Y offsets. It should come from tool radius. Are you machining in the correct planes with your live tooling? No experience with either control for live tooling just thinking Fanuc control would be fairly similar to Haas live tooling. Is there a column where you input insert rads? Thats where endmill rads also go.

I am not sure either but I saw a YouTube video it didn't include a value for tool dia. so the tool will be treated as turning tool I didn't see value for it... unless if we changed to milling mode the Fanuc controller will use nose R compensation as radius compensation

Fanuc has X Z Y R in tool offset page

assume

In turning mode R value is for nose radius
In milling mode R value is for tool radius

I am confused how to work with G41 in live tooling in Mazak and Fanuc

I am not sure either but I saw a YouTube video it didn't include a value for tool dia. so the tool will be treated as turning tool I didn't see value for it... unless if we changed to milling mode the Fanuc controller will use nose R compensation as radius compensation

Fanuc has X Z Y R in tool offset page

assume

In turning mode R value is for nose radius
In milling mode R value is for tool radius

I am confused how to work with G41 in live tooling in Mazak and Fanuc

I checked the catalog of Fanuc and there is G17 G00 G41 T0707 X34.0 Y43.0 looks like In milling mode R value is for tool radius and support G41 function for live tooling process

Any one can confirm me?

I checked the catalog of Fanuc and there is G17 G00 G41 T0707 X34.0 Y43.0 looks like In milling mode R value is for tool radius and support G41 function for live tooling process

Any one can confirm me?

Again, from only Haas experience. Yes.

From my Haas live tooling manual. G17, G18, G19 are modal. Default is G18 and used for turning ops. I have notes saying "G18=Default, G17=Axial Live Tool, G19=Radial Live Tool." Some axial live tool operations can be done in G18, but I typically use Cartesian Polar Transformation which requires G17 to be used. Make sure to switch back to G18 when live tooling is complete even if at the end of the program as I mentioned, it is modal.

Back