What's new
What's new

First Lathe of My Own- Logan Powermatic 14"

zaitsev44

Plastic
First of all, howdy! First post, but I have lurked around for a long time- both for myself and for work.
I put a bid up on a Logan Powermatic being auctioned off by a school system up in Tennessee. That opening bid ended up winning. The listing had zero info and only one picture. From what I can tell, it's a 14" Logan Powermatic. There is a small chance it's a 12", but based on the pictures I have scoured online it best matches with a later model 14" Powermatic.
The two features that throw me off from the majority of other 14" Powermatic's are the lack of the red-handled spindle brake above the QCGB, and the variable speed wheel does not have the raised circle next to it like most of the others.
I will have to figure out a solution to power it- either a VFD or a phase converter. It would have been nice to at least get a model number for the lathe so I can get a solid plan together before picking it up, but for $500 I can't complain too much.
Is there anything I need to keep an eye out for when picking and setting this lathe up? I guess my biggest hurdle will be getting it powered- electrical work is not my strong suit. Seeing that everyone now knows just as much as I do about this one, does anyone have more concrete info as to what model or any other info? I have scoured forums, Logan Actuator site, auction sites, eBay, and anything else a search brings up for info on this one.

Attachments

• 10248_45_1.png
    10248_45_1.png
    516.1 KB · Views: 46
That red knob is just a stop button. I doubt it has any braking installed on this lathe. If it does, it would be a braking module off the back end of the motor.
Sorry I can't help you much more than that. Ken

I have a very similar lathe to yours. Mine is a 14" model with the spindle brake that yours seems to be missing. It's been a good lathe but for light duty only. I have a steady rest and 2 face plates along with the collet setup and the 8" Buck 3 jaw chuck. Feel free to ask any questions.
I attached a pdf of the manual. I also have a pdf of the sales brochure that is too large a file to upload here but could possibly email if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Powermatic Logan Lathe manual.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Speaking of the 14" Logan, I have a spare saddle & apron- parted out the lathe some time ago, free for the taking just pay postage if we have to ship. I use the compound slide occasionally as a lathe toolpost on the mill table so wouldn't mind keeping that. I also saved the big aluminum spindle handwheel, happy to give that away also. The machine originally shipped with a turret which had most of the operational hours on it- the carriage is in good shape. Its an older machine than these pictured, but maybe would fit.

Speaking of the 14" Logan, I have a spare saddle & apron- parted out the lathe some time ago, free for the taking just pay postage if we have to ship. I use the compound slide occasionally as a lathe toolpost on the mill table so wouldn't mind keeping that. I also saved the big aluminum spindle handwheel, happy to give that away also. The machine originally shipped with a turret which had most of the operational hours on it- the carriage is in good shape. Its an older machine than these pictured, but maybe would fit.
Hello, if you still have those logan parts you want to get rid of i am interested in buying them from you! Thanks.
Dan
[email protected]

I do! Just moved the carriage and apron around in the basement... would be great to give that stuff away. Will send detailed pics to your yahoo address, see if its what you're looking for.

Back