What's new
What's new

First VMC, 2005 Hurco VM2

Haggismaximus

Plastic
Made my first VMC purchase today and bought a used Hurco VM2. Machine had 23K on hours but only ~5500 spindle hours and they let it go for $7500. Appears to be in good shape, spindle had no discernable runout when tested with a probe calibration tool and a 10th indicator at ~4.5 inches. Other than a disconnected air line for the tool changer and some surface rust it looks remarkably clean for it's age.

Been using a 1994 Milltronics Partner 1 that has been pretty neglected by the owner and this feels like a major step up. No experience with the Hurco UltiMax control so any users that can give suggestions or guidance and expectations would be appreciated.

IMG_20210702_122325.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_122250.jpg
    IMG_20210702_122250.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 88
OMG....so clean inside the coolant enclosure...did you buy it that way or put the Greased Lightning to it before the photos ? Outstanding buy regardless :cheers:

Made my first VMC purchase today and bought a used Hurco VM2. Machine had 23K on hours but only ~5500 spindle hours and they let it go for $7500. Appears to be in good shape, spindle had no discernable runout when tested with a probe calibration tool and a 10th indicator at ~4.5 inches. Other than a disconnected air line for the tool changer and some surface rust it looks remarkably clean for it's age.

Been using a 1994 Milltronics Partner 1 that has been pretty neglected by the owner and this feels like a major step up. No experience with the Hurco UltiMax control so any users that can give suggestions or guidance and expectations would be appreciated.

View attachment 323956
What are your plans for the older Milltronics partner?

OMG....so clean inside the coolant enclosure...did you buy it that way or put the Greased Lightning to it before the photos ? Outstanding buy regardless :cheers:
Bought it that way. Previous owner was Lawrence Livermore National Labs, I figure they had a good maintenance program. I had to build a coolant tank and associated equipment which came in around $1500 for the pump, steel, powered coating etc. Replaced all the way seals and gave it a good cleaning. I have a feeling it mostly cut plastic as that was what was under the way covers.

All in all about ~$11K to to get it up and running, including rigging. I've been really happy so far, only wish it had the Winmax control, they want $15K to upgrade.

Back