What's new
What's new

First VMC

ngng

Aluminum
This forum was very helpful when I was deciding on my first VMC. Was initially looking at a VF2 or DM2 but didn't like how they nickel and dimed me for everything. After I customized the machine, they were not priced competitively. I called up DMG and they basically told me there was nothing in my price range, but I should come by and check out their factory :D Same with Okuma. Read a lot of really positive reviews on the Doosans and after months of research and number crunching I settled on the DNM4500.

Was a pretty big process getting my space prepped. Had to relocate my existing staircase, run the 3P wiring from my panel, which turns out is only 100A. I was praying that I would not have to remove my existing lift. Some time later.

d2xNfjx.jpg

BcsVV8t.jpg

f2NiBle.jpg

eMBUQgU.jpg

Congrats on the new machine. Should serve you well.

Most machine tools draw significantly less power than their nameplate ratings suggest. 3X in some cases. You'll be fine on a 100A panel running that machine in addition to a compressor with dryer and probably another machine down the road.

Nice toys btw.

Congrats on the new machine. Should serve you well.

Most machine tools draw significantly less power than their nameplate ratings suggest. 3X in some cases. You'll be fine on a 100A panel running that machine in addition to a compressor with dryer and probably another machine down the road.

Nice toys btw.

I hope so! I'm both excited and nervous. Pretty big commitment. Still need to tool up the machine and finish wiring it up.

ngng,
Congrats! Are you in Manteca? If so, I think your machine came up from Long Beach in the same truckload as my DEM 4000. I see David from Vierra in your photos, and the same Vierra forklift that unloaded my machine. The weather looks just as sketch, too! On the other hand, you had plenty of headroom, unlike me. Have fun!
Cheers,
RKlopp

ngng,
Congrats! Are you in Manteca? If so, I think your machine came up from Long Beach in the same truckload as my DEM 4000. I see David from Vierra in your photos, and the same Vierra forklift that unloaded my machine. The weather looks just as sketch, too! On the other hand, you had plenty of headroom, unlike me. Have fun!
Cheers,
RKlopp

Hahaha small world! I'm in San Jose, but close enough. We lucked out today, the minute they packed up the rain started to come down.

I work for DN Solutions as an AE. Congrats on your new machine, you will love it. You may have more of an issue with air than you will with the electric. The DNM's use a lot of air. Make sure you can provide enough. And, anytime you cannot get a quick answer from Ellison, please feel free to call me here in New Jersey.

973-618-2457

I work for DN Solutions as an AE. Congrats on your new machine, you will love it. You may have more of an issue with air than you will with the electric. The DNM's use a lot of air. Make sure you can provide enough. And, anytime you cannot get a quick answer from Ellison, please feel free to call me here in New Jersey.

973-618-2457

Wow, better service from an internet stranger than my local reps! I really appreciate it! I have an old Ingersoll Rand compressor. I think it's 30g, but I double checked and it'll do around 11cfm @ > the required PSI on the machine. I am not against replacing it with something better (and quieter). But, I need to make some money first :D

I am having my electrician hook up the electrical...but I have no idea where the panel is. Should I have received an owners manual or something?

Wow, better service from an internet stranger than my local reps! I really appreciate it! I have an old Ingersoll Rand compressor. I think it's 30g, but I double checked and it'll do around 11cfm @ > the required PSI on the machine. I am not against replacing it with something better (and quieter). But, I need to make some money first :D

I am having my electrician hook up the electrical...but I have no idea where the panel is. Should I have received an owners manual or something?
Ellison sent me an installation and maintenance manual PDF before delivery, so I could see what oils I needed to buy, plus electrical and air connection sizes and locations. IIRC, the paper manuals were in the yellow box (your second picture) with the wrenches, sitting in the coolant tank. It turns out the paperwork was wrong about the cable entry on the electrical cabinet, saying both top and bottom entries were available, but my machine only has a bottom entry, so I've had to do a little update to my cable drop hardware.

Ellison sent me an installation and maintenance manual PDF before delivery, so I could see what oils I needed to buy, plus electrical and air connection sizes and locations. IIRC, the paper manuals were in the yellow box (your second picture) with the wrenches, sitting in the coolant tank. It turns out the paperwork was wrong about the cable entry on the electrical cabinet, saying both top and bottom entries were available, but my machine only has a bottom entry, so I've had to do a little update to my cable drop hardware.

Thanks, I will check out the box tomorrow. I just noticed it said "do not open" :D

Did you opt for the wash down hose? I did not, and need to figure out which fitting to tap. Have you decided on what coolant you're going to use? Everything I've read on here has suggested to run, and not walk from Blaser 735. I think Ellison has a "free" first fill of Blaser or Qualichem.

Thanks, I will check out the box tomorrow. I just noticed it said "do not open" :D

Did you opt for the wash down hose? I did not, and need to figure out which fitting to tap. Have you decided on what coolant you're going to use? Everything I've read on here has suggested to run, and not walk from Blaser 735. I think Ellison has a "free" first fill of Blaser or Qualichem.
Maybe I missed the Do Not Open sign?

There’s no real pistol-hose wash down option on the DEM 4000, only a couple loc-line spouts at the base of the column just above the rear Y way cover. They’re controlled by a manual ball valve on the pump.

I got a free starter bucket of Qualichem 250C which has a good reputation on PM. Ask your Ellison rep to set you up.

Last edited:
Which control did you get ? Looks like Fanuc ? I was looking at a DNM too and had decided on Siemens.

Yeah it's the Fanuc. I asked about the costs for the Heidenhain and it was too rich for me, like +15k I think,

Maybe I missed the Do Not Open sign?

There’s no real pistol-hose wash down option on the DEM 4000, only a couple loc-line spouts at the base of the column just above the rear Y way cover. They’re controlled by a manual ball valve on the pump.

I got a free starter bucket of Qualichem 250C which has a good reputation on PM. Ask your Ellison rep to set you up.

It was part of the Ellison docs I think...but maybe I misread. Looks like they also gave me two fill options, Qualichem and Blaser. I'll see if they can do a non-syn Blaser.

Looks like they also gave me two fill options, Qualichem and Blaser. I'll see if they can do a non-syn Blaser.

Well THIS will start a ruckus :D but I had only one experience with Blaser. After a while it turned nasty. In the pail it came in, if I remember right. And I didn't like it in the machine, either. You couldn't give me a pail of Blaser.

Tried a bunch of different ones, always ended up back at Trim, sigh.

Thank god gear machines mostly use oil.

This forum was very helpful when I was deciding on my first VMC. Was initially looking at a VF2 or DM2 but didn't like how they nickel and dimed me for everything. After I customized the machine, they were not priced competitively. I called up DMG and they basically told me there was nothing in my price range, but I should come by and check out their factory :D Same with Okuma. Read a lot of really positive reviews on the Doosans and after months of research and number crunching I settled on the DNM4500.

Was a pretty big process getting my space prepped. Had to relocate my existing staircase, run the 3P wiring from my panel, which turns out is only 100A. I was praying that I would not have to remove my existing lift. Some time later.

d2xNfjx.jpg

BcsVV8t.jpg

f2NiBle.jpg

eMBUQgU.jpg
Just sent you a PM....

The correct fittings finally arrived and I was able to hook up the air. Ran a 1/2" line off the 1/2" NPT output from the compressor and swapped the fitting on the Doosan to fit a standard industrial connector. I should have measured because I mistakingly bought a 1/2" BSPT fitting when the correct size is a 3/8" BSPT.

PXL_20230206_013401319.jpg

And, in case anybody else is left scratching their heads about the amount of fluid the machine requires it's worth nothing that while the owner's manual does not include units with their fluid volumes the sticker on the side of the spindle oil cooler does correctly indicate the units:

PXL_20230206_015207849.jpg

PXL_20230209_153536990.MP.jpg

Powered on and running! Finally.

Is it normal for the spindle fan (or at least that's where the sound is coming from) to run non-stop after I power down the machine? When I returned to the shop this morning I noticed that it was still running.

Back