What's new
What's new

Fit Callouts for Dowel Holes

If we have people representing the state of US manufacturing on this Machinist forum who think ISO is a secret society and that ISO Tolerancing
is some kind of a secret code - than god help us.
I can only assume they are in it for the enjoyment of making an argument. Well have fun.
Regardless.........OVER AND OUT!

Hi juergenwt:
Yeah, that would be me.
But I believe you're missing the point.
You and I both know ISO is not a secret society and ISO tolerancing is not a secret code.

But for anyone who isn't intimately conversant with the ISO system it might as well be, for all the clarity with which you can communicate a part's requirements to those who happen to be unfamiliar with it.
That is still a lot of machinists.
You seem to infer that they are somehow deficient as machinists because of it.
I disagree.

I am arguing that this is an increasing trend everywhere and I personally don't believe it is a good one.
I am also arguing that a significant part of it's philosophy is pointless and cumbersome...an awkwardly implemented solution in search of a problem, and as a working machinist, systems like this are a pain in the ass to have to deal with.
I see it as a bit like unilaterally deciding we're now going to all speak Eskimo...yeah it's a perfectly valid language, but anyone who won't or can't learn it is SOL.
I argue: "why do it when you don't have to"...I'm unimpressed with the benefits it purports to bring.

But I can do it...I'm not so stupid as to be helpless in the face of it...but I'm quite comfortable being critical of it for it's shortcomings too.
I believe my criticisms to be valid ones...no personal slur is intended, and I'm not treading on your corns on purpose.

Obviously we will have to agree to disagree on this and if all goes as I expect it to, it will all work out in your favour, not mine.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Back