What's new
What's new

Fit Callouts for Dowel Holes

I worked with an engineer that insisted on dimensioning hole to hole and indicating class of fits for a shop that was not a machine shop. Then they made me the shop manager. I pulled out my tape measure in front of him and the shop guys and said "THIS is the standard of measure in this shop and any drawing not dimensioned to be laid out with a tape measure will be be rejected and sent back to engineering!" Reduced a whole lot of errors after I sent back his drawings. If he wanted his project built he had to comply.

Prefered for Machinist, Tool and Die Makers or other close tol. work:
Dowel Pin m6,
Hole size (Reamer) H7
Sample: 12m6 (pin) , 12H7 {Reamer, Hole)
This will be ok for most applications needing a sliding fit or light tap fit.

For a tight or tighter fit use a dowel m6 and a reamer P7.
Sample 12m6 (pin), 12P7 (Reamer, Hole)

Stick with dowel pin tol. m6 and adjust for the type of fit by increasing or decreasing you reamer size.
Dowel pins with m6 tol. are very common. Reamers with H7 tol. are also very common
A lot depends on your size, the type of material you are using and the type of fit you are looking for.
Also the condition of your reamer.
Ps.: I urge you to get ISO 286 Handbook and study the ISO tolerance tables.

Dowel Pin m6,
Hole size (Reamer) H7

For a tight or tighter fit use a dowel m6 and a reamer P7.
Why?
Why is it P7 instead of H7?
Would it not make sense if a tighter fit is required then H6 is a more reasonable definition?
I've learned in first grade that 6 is smaller than 7, but what makes P smaller than H?

You need to study ISO 286 System of tolerances.In use wherever ISO is used in manufacturing.
Samle
Pin 12m6 = 12 +7/+18 . m6 tol. requires ground finish on pin
Hole 12H7 = 0/+11 . H7 tol. can be held with reamed finish.
Result can be anywhere from a sliding fit to a light press fit.

If you absolutely need a press fit than you need to go to:
Pin 12m6 = 12 +7/+18
Hole 12P7 -11/-29

There are two systems used when using ISO Fits and Tolerances.
1. Standard Shaft
2. Standard Bore
In this case we are using standard shaft. The pin stays the same size and in order to achieve a certain fit the hole tol. varies.
Most common is standard hole where the hole stays the same size and in order to achieve a certain fit you change the tol;. on the shaft. This is done so you do not need many hole gages. To measure a shaft all you need is a micrometer.
It's a whole big system but all metric manufacturing depends on it. World wide!
You can not just order parts to a print from anywhere in the world and designate fits like "slidiing fit or press fit".
Someone in China could have a different understanding of a press fit than someone in Italy.

Dowels are for accurate location of tool members so removed details can be properly relocated. Clean with solvent and lubricate, use a light tap fit with a 4 oz. hammer to fit dowels. Clean holes with solvent and a cloth. For soft details I maintained special stoned reamers in the sizes needed. For hardened details, ream slightly under size and lap to size after hardening.
When assembling details, lubricate the dowels. Slightly extend the dowels beyond the bottom of the block and set the dowels in the mating detail. Tap in the dowels, install and tighten screws.
Roger

Last edited:
You need to study ISO 286 System of tolerances.

That's just it! I SHOULD NOT!!! need to study a damned thing!
I am not the designer, not the engineer, nor anyone else involved in the product's intent.
I am the machinist who brings whatever contraption those above dreamed up to life.
You are the engineer, you know your ISO whatever, you look it up and you better put it on the print as to be explicit.
There is no other option!!!

If you think yourself to be superior that everyone down must follow in your footsteps, I have news for you!
Every idiotic print I have seen on the shopfloor will have those stupid fit letters or +/+ or -/- tolerances circled in red, and replaced with the corresponding high/low dimensions.

In the similar matter, if you think your pedantic post above is an indication of your superiority, I think you too are gravely mistaking!

Last edited:
Well hello Seymour. Known you for many years. Thanks for your many wise and helpful posts. You are a real technical genius, We can learn so much from you. Don't forget to bring plenty barley corns to your shop.

Hi juergenwrt:
I understand what you are contending, and in an ideal world, everybody in manufacturing would be equally skillful and knowledgeable about all of the secret codes that are used in the engineering domain, so all would be good.

Sadly in the REAL world, this will never be the case...expensive lawsuits have been argued in court about arcane interpretation of the notations on the drawing and who was to blame when the parts didn't work.
Sometimes judgement was given in favour of the designer, sometimes in favour of the maker.
Sometimes the standard itself was found to contain an ambiguity, sometimes the competing experts were at each others throats.
This is not new; many of us have been embroiled at some level with disagreements of this kind.

So as a practical matter, the drawing should not only be unambiguous, it should also not be unnecessarily obscure or arcane.
It is supposed to be a help to the maker of the parts, not to be a legal GOTCHA with which to beat a vendor when shit goes wrong.

I agree with Seymour...there is no good excuse I can think of, that justifies leaving out any effort to help out the next guy in the chain from inspiration to part.
Common decency if nothing else would suggest making it easier for the machinist is a good thing that will help get better parts for cheaper.

Any help the designer can provide, like calling out an explicit dimension and tolerance, and/or describing the function like "press fit" works to the maker's benefit, because it helps cut through all the procedural rubbish these standards, if used alone, impose.

Although correct and defensible in a legal sense, having the designer refuse to put helpful stuff on the drawing just because the standard didn't require it is not a useful way to get the best from the guy who makes the part.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Thank you

implmex

for your thoughtful post. Unfortunately our world of manufacturing will not work with designations like light sliding fit or tight press fit or easy push fit. Something like it may work in a small shop environment ,for in shop use or on a local level but not in large manufacturing and on an international level.There is just to much room for individual interpretation/ If you design a part you need to assign a specific tolerance to your dimensions. Not something that is subject to an individuals interpretation. That is the only way to protect yourselves from misunderstandings and lawsuits.. That is why we have professional people (Engineers, Tool and Die Makers, Machinist, Mechanics etc.) on the shop floor who should understand. You would not employ an electrician who did not know the difference between OHM, AMP and VOLT.
and who puts his finger on a wire to judge the current or voltage.
If you hire someone who does not understand or has never heard of ISO Tolerancing than you would be better of staying local. These shops with their somewhat trained workers certainly have a place in our world and they are fully sufficient for the type of service they provide. You go there and order with a print calling for a light press fit and hope it is light enough for what you want, If not, call and tell them know you need a slightly tighter/looser) press fit. Problem solved.
Btw. ISO provides a place on each print where you place the ISO tolerance and its numerical +/- value.
Again, this is just a small part of the ISO system of Fits and Tolerances. There is much more and knowing it can save your shop a bundle of money. That is why
the US Automobile industry after first demanding a refund from the US Government quickly dropped that demand because they could not come up with a loss they had from going metric (ISO).
It also underwrites the usefulness of a formal Apprenticeship or at least requiring a certain time in a class room in
addition to on the job training. Just because you are a good lathe/mill operator does not mean you are a professional.
The old method of fixing something that does not fit by using a bigger hammer does no longer work...

Last edited:
Hi again juergenwrt:
Fair points all, and I have no dispute with you that a drawing that is unambiguous is a far better drawing than one that is incomplete or internally contradictory.
I also do not dispute that the ISO system or the ASME system or the ANSI system or any other system will help to fulfill that requirement that the drawing be complete with a callout for every feature the designer deems relevant.

However, there is a great tendency among professionals to adopt and cleave to their own mystical jargon to help elevate themselves...I was a dentist in a former life and I can assure you it's true in that profession as I believe it to be true in engineering too.

I may seem to be drifting into irrelevancies here, but that professional arrogance which too often comes with the mastery of the secret code is not helpful.
There is no rational reason to specify what you want in a way that the recipient of the drawing needs to look it up...this is decidedly not like an electrician wannabee who does not understand the meaning of OHM and AMPERE and VOLT and licks the wire to see if it's hot.

It is more like saying..."You want to know how big it should be... fuck you...I'm not going to tell you the easy way...look it up yourself you lazy little shit".
"You get to go to the trouble because I'm too important (or perhaps too wonderful) to do it for you, even though I pondered and set the specification for a reason I deemed to be good and I really do want it this way".

Now I know it's not intended to be interpreted that way and of course, not many engineers are guilty of that arrogance, but some are, and the plea from us machinists is that you do not do that or seem to do that even if you didn't mean it that way.
Whether it's because the designer has overt contempt for the machinist or maybe just because it never occurred to the designer what a right royal pain in the ass it is to be leafing through Machinery's Handbook all the time while the boss is crying about how come the job's not done yet, it's still a nuisance and decidedly not necessary to help the designer communicate his/her intent.

So my policy, whenever I make a drawing, is to call out a target dimension and an explicit tolerance for everything the machinist needs to have in order to make the part the way I wanted them to.
I'll put notes on it wherever I want to if I think it will help the machinist.
I never want him/her to have to go consult something else somewhere...everything should be on the drawing, not just unambiguously but as plainly obvious as I can make it.
It's an approach that is technically "wrong" but it's served me very well for decades and every shop I've worked with has appreciated it

You can still call it out using the proper engineering shorthand...you can even have a naive expectation that every competent machinist knows the shorthand, but in my experience you certainly can't count on it so I prefer to augment it so it can be built with the minimum of hassles by anyone who can work the necessary gear properly.
Just look at some of the shit drawings produced by qualified engineers all over the world...if they cannot consistently do it, there may be something not quite so wonderful about the shorthand.

If it's like a stick in the spokes of an already stressed and harassed machine shop, can you wonder that it's unpopular?
Next time you get a chance, have a look at how drawings defined with GD&T are quoted compared to drawings that are dimensioned conventionally.
I've seen RFQ's for simple work outright rejected and I've seen them quoted at 5 times the cost of a conventionally dimensioned print for the exact same parts.
Not all those who refused to bid were incompetent idiots either!
Some were great at what they do, capable of magnificent workmanship on challenging parts but the incomprehensible scribble on the picture put them off and it wasn't worth it to them to figure it all out.

Yes, it's technically a better drawing if it conforms, and if you invest fully in understanding it as a machinist you will technically be a better machinist, but you'll spend a lot more effort deciphering and everything will cost a lot more...even when it doesn't need to.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Last edited:
If your customer can work to your prints than that is just fine, But we live in a global economy and if you sent your print anywhere else than be prepare to answer a lot of questions and get a lot of "NO QUOTES'.
If you put notes on a print that may make sense to someone in the US do not assume that people from other countries will understand you. Google translate does not work when it comes to technical translations. I wish you good luck.
As far as seeing screwed up drawing made by engineers - the US being the new kid on the metric ISO block you can expect anything and than some coming from the desk of some engineer with 40 years on the job. Believe me - you can always pick out a metric (ISO) drawing made in the US by an oldtimer. I have seen some crazy examples of those.

If your customer can work to your prints than that is just fine, But we live in a global economy and if you sent your print anywhere else than be prepare to answer a lot of questions and get a lot of "NO QUOTES'.
If you put notes on a print that may make sense to someone in the US do not assume that people from other countries will understand you. Google translate does not work when it comes to technical translations. I wish you good luck.
As far as seeing screwed up drawing made by engineers - the US being the new kid on the metric ISO block you can expect anything and than some coming from the desk of some engineer with 40 years on the job. Believe me - you can always pick out a metric (ISO) drawing made in the US by an oldtimer. I have seen some crazy examples of those.

God, I feel like talking to a wall... :wall:
What questions are there to be asked if the print contains the exact dimensions and the exact tolerances as-per the engineer or the designer?
I agree SF or PF may not be the best description and is open to interpretation, but just as there are fit classes in ISO, there are also sources for the engineer to look up the desired size and tolerance and put that on the print.

What is your reason for advocating the fit-class over explicit numerical definition on the print?
Why is it that you think some cryptic definition like m6 P7 is a better solution than the actual value the feature is to be machined to?
Can you explain to us what is the following designation on an ISO print mean: DIN 509 - E 0,2 x 0,3 ?
That is on the very print in front of me ( guilty party shall remain unnamed, but it is German ), so can you tell us what are the exact dimensions for the feature?
Can take a snapshot of the drawing if you need!

Answer:

Undercut as per DIN 509 Type E
6 Designation Designation of a type E undercut, with a radius, r, of 0,2 mm and a depth, t1, of 0,3 mm: Undercut DIN 509 – E 0,2 * 0,3
Look up DIN 509 Type E

Download the PDF, than watch the video

Did this help you?
How would you describe in words what this undercut should look like and make sure your customer anywhere in the world would understand you and your part comes back to you exactly with the undercut you wanted.

Last edited:
Look up DIN 509 Type E

Download the PDF, than watch the video

Thank You! I could not have made my point any clearer! :Ithankyou:

How would you describe in words what this undercut should look like and make sure your customer anywhere in the world would understand you and your part comes back to you exactly with the undercut you wanted.

In words, I don't know.
With numbers? No problem! They're called dimensions and tolerances!

As far as the print I've quoted from, I truly wish I can send it to you!
Nonetheless, it is from a manufacturer who's name would be known to at least 80% of the PM members, and it is drawn to ISO 2768-mK-E, tolerancing DIN 7167, and yet, there is this gem of a feature callout:
HEXAGONAL HOLE
WIDTH 4 +0,1 FLAT-TO-FLAT

Hi again juergenwt:
This is kind of distressing but I recognize sadly that it is increasingly the way of the future.
What it effectively does is to disenfranchise all of the accumulated knowledge of everyone who hasn't achieved entrance into the secret ISO club and doesn't want to waste their time with yet another layer of bullshit in order to gain admission.
It is a terrible way forward because it explicitly functions to exclude all that talent and all that skill that already exists, and make it of no account.
That deprives society of the benefit of that skill.

There is zero credible reason I can discern to invoke this ridiculous kind of shorthand into that feature and pretend some benefit...it smacks of "Design by Committee", or even worse, "Design by the Priesthood".
You could simply dimension the feature in a detail view of the drawing as you desire it to be and get exactly the same outcome without all the bullshit secret code.

Nothing is gained by this...yeah I'm sure the ISO Committee has a nicely worded justification for it, but to my mind it truly is a solution in search of a problem.

What happens to this specification if it is inadequate to the purpose in some small detail?
Does that mean the designer has to make a dimensioned drawing of it after all or is there some kind of shorthand modifier to accommodate the special case.
Is the designer now prohibited from designing the best possible design because it violates the standard somehow?
How far do you carry this before only the highest Priests of the Priesthood can interpret the drawing with Holy Book in hand.

There are very few in our trade who could blithely describe what that notation Seymour quoted even means without consulting a reference...all that to make a thread undercut??
Why?? What for??
Is there truly a benefit I'm not seeing?

As you can imagine, I am not a fan.
But as I said at the beginning, it is the way the world is going, so kicking and screaming, I'll have to get better at it if I want to continue to participate.
Pisses me off though, because, to my mind, like so much that comes from Committees, it's fundamentally misguided if it hopes to make things better.
Extra work for no discernable benefit, Oh Joy!!

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

What it effectively does is to disenfranchise all of the accumulated knowledge of everyone who hasn't achieved entrance into the secret ISO club and doesn't want to waste their time with yet another layer of bullshit in order to gain admission.
Marcus, were you really a dentist in a previous life? Or perhaps a linguist professor of English with a great deal of wit?
That sentence of yours suggest the latter.

There are very few in our trade who could blithely describe what that notation Seymour quoted even means without consulting a reference...all that to make a thread undercut??
Uhhh...No. That is in fact NOT a thread undercut callout Sir!
That, ( for all you ignorant bastards ) is a shaft undercut !!!

Using a CAD software like Inventor is really easy to call a tolerance like H7 and select to either show size limits or show tolerance (see picture attached), that I find counterproductive just calling a tolerance and require the machinist to look up the values for the basic dimension.

Cheers.

Attachments

• tol.PNG
    tol.PNG
    28.8 KB · Views: 10
Hi Seymour Dumore:
Yeah, I was a dentist...one of my more foolish career moves.
I hated it!
It lasted just under a decade.
My Lovely Wife was thrilled when I quit even though we took a hit financially.
Thank God for Lovely Wives!

I was never an English Professor either, but I do enjoy playing with language so I fool around quite a bit with my posts to try to get them to say exactly what I want them to say.
Sometimes I can get pretty close pretty quickly, and some times I have to edit a bazillion times before I'm satisfied.
Sometimes I never do quite get there.
But it's fun for me, so I indulge.

On a last note...at around the 2 minute mark in the video it describes using an E type undercut as a thread relief...that must have stuck in my brain when I wrote post #36
Until yesterday I had no idea these things had any kind of formal designation, but I've been designing them this way for years.
I always just dimensioned them exactly the same as every other feature on the shaft.
Who knew I was doing it wrong...Canadian, US, and Chinese vendors never seemed to have trouble with them, and I certainly never got questioning calls or "NO BID"s on them.
Come to think of it, I never got queries on dowel fits either...seems like your preference for just putting on the dimensions and tolerances works pretty good in most places in the world too.
Adding notes like "Slip Fit" didn't seem to harm anything either, at least not so far.
That may change as our way becomes obsolete.

But it appears I'm becoming irrelevant as I settle into my dotage:codger:
I can live with it.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Back