What's new
What's new

Folders on Brother Speedio

GiroDyno

Cast Iron
We have a lot of programs saved to our machine, and file management is less-than-ideal.

Can we arrange subprograms and macros into different folders to help keep them organized?
Ex. Program 123 is a typical master program kept in the main folder, but it needs to call program 456 for probing and 789 for drilling, can those be kept in different subfolders?
Is there any special formatting required to call up a program from inside a subfolder?

we use the brother transfer software, but also use ftp client. In both cases, we keep all of our files off-line on a server, and download when needed. AND yes, you must keep the program and all sub-programs in the same directory.

Yes I have the transfer software, I just worry about someone adding or removing the wrong file and causing some cascading errors. It would be really nice to hide away all the probing cycles and such so all you can readily see/edit if the stuff that's changing out on a daily basis anyways.

Is there a way to hide/lock out programs to prevent them from being edited or deleted?

Yes I have the transfer software, I just worry about someone adding or removing the wrong file and causing some cascading errors. It would be really nice to hide away all the probing cycles and such so all you can readily see/edit if the stuff that's changing out on a daily basis anyways.

Is there a way to hide/lock out programs to prevent them from being edited or deleted?
You can 'protect' programs in the 8000s. In edit mode, select the Directory of Memory from the main Edit menu. Then select Program. At the bottom of that screen find the choice that says Protect, you may need to press the right arrow for more choices to see it. When you press protect on, the 8000s will highlight showing they are protected. You can use them but you cannot edit them when they are protected.

Also, in addition to keeping all our files on our off-line server, we use source code control on those server files, so that we can see the deltas from one version to the next. This way, you never lose changes, you can see who has changed what, and you have a history of those changes over time. We also have a very organized server file structure so it is clear what files belong to what, e.g. project files, probe routines, etc

And, we put lots of documentation inline in the g-code to identify who owns the file, what it is used for, history, etc....

Call SubProgramms that are not in the same folders, is one of the new possibility with the new Brother Control D00
There is 2 user parameters for setting folders for search sub-prog if not found in the current folder of the main programms.
I use to set : BLUM( or RENISHAW) and MACROS as the 2 folders where sub-progs have to been search.

Back