What's new
What's new

For Sale: 1938 HENDEY 16" HEAVY DUTY METAL SHAPER w./ ACCESSORIES

thmachine1

Aluminum
Up for sale is a 1938 Hendey 16" Heavy Duty Metal Shaper. As seen in the video listed below this machine is fully functional on all aspects, and ready to be put to work! The only reason I am selling is because I have acquired a 24" Shaper, and really hoping to find this phenomenal Hendey 16" shaper a good home.

Asking $4,950 - Link to ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115548385505

If you are interested in seeing a video of this machine in action, please check out the three YouTube videos I have on using the machine. You can use this link to navigate to the demo video:

Please check out the detailed pictures, and link to video for overall item condition. If you would like any more photos, or have any specific questions, please reach out as I am happy to help!

16" Hendey Metal Shaper:
  • Heavy Duty Model - Plain Table
  • 1938 Year / Serial # 1911
  • Backlash on Compound (.020")
  • Backlash on Table (.015")
  • 3HP 3phase 220/440V motor (picture of motor tag above) currently wired 240V
  • Power feed on table in X direction (side to side)
  • Power down feed on compound
Installed New on Machine:
  • Sherwin-Williams Industrial Enamel Paint Job
  • Fresh Oil & Filter Change
  • Ram Way Oil Wipers & Felts
  • Button Oilers & Felts
  • 4pc V-Belts
  • Electrical Controls & 10' Power Cord
  • Start / Stop Switch
  • Motor Pulley / Belt Guard
  • Vise Jaws
Extras Included:
  1. Original Vise
  2. Vise Handle
  3. JH Williams No.(T-3-S) Tool Holder
  4. Crank Handle
  5. 3pc Wrenches
  6. Part Manuals & Misc. drawings / files

Shipping Details:

Free Local Pickup - Will load on trailer (Located Tell City, IN 47586)
If buyer requests freight: FOB Origin, Freight Collect: The buyer pays for freight and shipping costs and assumes full responsibility for the cargo.
Item Approximate Weight: 4500 lbs / 84"long x 48"wide x 60" Tall

Attachments

• hendey1.jpg
    hendey1.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 184
  • hendey2.jpg
    hendey2.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 180
  • hendey3.jpg
    hendey3.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Hendey4.jpg
    Hendey4.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 181
For general info - the "heavy" was built with the 20" standard castings

The brochure from those days

Attachments

• Hendey Shapers Nov 1938_1.jpg
    Hendey Shapers Nov 1938_1.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
PRICE DROP $4,750

I am very motivated to sell this machine. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, as I am happy to assist. I can send you any additional photos / videos as needed.

All Reasonable Offers Are Considered!

PRICE DROP $4,750

I am very motivated to sell this machine. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, as I am happy to assist. I can send you any additional photos / videos as needed.

All Reasonable Offers Are Considered!
As a data point, I bought a 16" cincinnati universal in excellent condition about two years ago from a dealer for less than $2K. I probably overpaid but it was exactly what i was looking for. To be fair, mine does not have automatic down feed and the paint isn't quite as nice.

Beautiful machine and you did a wonderful restoration. However, from the first posting I knew the almost $5k price was way above what 99.99% of people would pay. I suspect only the odd rich collector (one in a million guy) would dump that much in a shaper. Usually shapers sell because they are cheap.

Pristine shapers aren't all that hard to find and don't sell for much. I could have a really nice 20" G&E heavy universal with power everything and digitals, significantly nicer than the one in this ad for free if I made a place on my floor for it. I just can't think of a single thing I would use it for. I could maybe see making room for a really nice slotter, but a shaper? I can do anything a shaper can do and 1000X more with a CNC mill and a CNC lathe with a C axis makes a real fine slotter.

A friend's pristine 20' Gray planer/planer mill went to scrap two weeks ago. Nobody would pay a cent for it.

New Price: $4,500 - Located (Tell City, IN) 47586 / Free Local Pickup, can load on trailer.

Help me find this shaper a new home! All reasonable offers are considered.

Thanks

UPDATE: 12/11/22

Happy Holidays

New Price: $4,250 - Located (Tell City, IN) 47586 / Free Local Pickup, can load on trailer.

Help me find this shaper a new home! All reasonable offers are considered.

Thanks

Back