What's new
What's new

For Sale: 1938 HENDEY 16" HEAVY DUTY METAL SHAPER w./ ACCESSORIES

Pristine shapers aren't all that hard to find and don't sell for much. I could have a really nice 20" G&E heavy universal with power everything and digitals, significantly nicer than the one in this ad for free if I made a place on my floor for it. I just can't think of a single thing I would use it for. I could maybe see making room for a really nice slotter, but a shaper? I can do anything a shaper can do and 1000X more with a CNC mill and a CNC lathe with a C axis makes a real fine slotter.

A friend's pristine 20' Gray planer/planer mill went to scrap two weeks ago. Nobody would pay a cent for it.
dro on a shaper? Would have liked to see that. Not sure I understand why- I just use a long travel dti on a 26” stroke machine.

I think the OP should just use and enjoy his machine.

dro on a shaper? Would have liked to see that. Not sure I understand why- I just use a long travel dti on a 26” stroke machine.

I think the OP should just use and enjoy his machine.

For the same reason you put a dro on any other manual machine- To make positioning quick. The shaper I mentioned has cut an off-angle ID slot in a tube for the last 35 years. The dro makes it efficient to use a double sided tool and cut two slots in one setup.

UPDATE: 1/23/23

Happy New Year

Current Price: $3,995 - Located (Tell City, IN) 47586 / Free Local Pickup, can load on trailer.

Help me find this shaper a new home! All reasonable offers are considered.

Thanks

Up for sale is a 1938 Hendey 16" Heavy Duty Metal Shaper. As seen in the video listed below this machine is fully functional on all aspects, and ready to be put to work! The only reason I am selling is because I have acquired a 24" Shaper, and really hoping to find this phenomenal Hendey 16" shaper a good home.

Asking $4,950 - Link to ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115548385505

If you are interested in seeing a video of this machine in action, please check out the three YouTube videos I have on using the machine. You can use this link to navigate to the demo video:

Please check out the detailed pictures, and link to video for overall item condition. If you would like any more photos, or have any specific questions, please reach out as I am happy to help!

16" Hendey Metal Shaper:
  • Heavy Duty Model - Plain Table
  • 1938 Year / Serial # 1911
  • Backlash on Compound (.020")
  • Backlash on Table (.015")
  • 3HP 3phase 220/440V motor (picture of motor tag above) currently wired 240V
  • Power feed on table in X direction (side to side)
  • Power down feed on compound
Installed New on Machine:
  • Sherwin-Williams Industrial Enamel Paint Job
  • Fresh Oil & Filter Change
  • Ram Way Oil Wipers & Felts
  • Button Oilers & Felts
  • 4pc V-Belts
  • Electrical Controls & 10' Power Cord
  • Start / Stop Switch
  • Motor Pulley / Belt Guard
  • Vise Jaws
Extras Included:
  1. Original Vise
  2. Vise Handle
  3. JH Williams No.(T-3-S) Tool Holder
  4. Crank Handle
  5. 3pc Wrenches
  6. Part Manuals & Misc. drawings / files

Shipping Details:

Free Local Pickup - Will load on trailer (Located Tell City, IN 47586)
If buyer requests freight: FOB Origin, Freight Collect: The buyer pays for freight and shipping costs and assumes full responsibility for the cargo.
Item Approximate Weight: 4500 lbs / 84"long x 48"wide x 60" Tall
Hi,

I'm in San Diego so shipping would be a big factor, but I made it work when I bought a 1942 Monarch 10EE off a guy on this forum about two weeks ago. The shipping companies were charging $1500-$1800 to ship it, so when I was in Oklahoma City for work (Dropping off an aircraft at depot for our squadron) I rented a Penske van and drove it halfway across the country to Sylvan Grove, KS and then back to San Diego. Would you be willing to take $3k? I see the work you've put in it and wish to respect that but I think that is the best I can do.

Sincerely,
Aaron

Seller has it listed on E-bay also. If he does not respond here you might want to look up the listing and contact him that way.

Wish I needed a shaper; she's a beauty. I watched the entire 4 min. I found it very soothing, much like the Steiner vids on YouTube. Thanks for posting.

Just informing everyone that the Hendey Shaper has sold. For all the people who said it was priced to high, the shaper sold for $3,950 and was worth every penny.

To everyone who said it was overpriced, just realize that this machine was way out of your caliber. Have a great day!

Thanks,

Tyler
...and this nan nan ner posting is why ?

That shaper was in very nice condition, one of the best I've seen in fact. But "this machine was way out of your caliber"? There were some pretty experienced and knowledgeable people pointing out it was over priced in today's market. It would only be of real use in any commercial shop if you had enough specialized work to justify the floor space it used. Selling a single item at a higher than usual value just proves someone wanted it bad enough to pay close to what you were asking, and doesn't prove it really was worth that price.

When I bought my little shaper I'd been looking for that model off and on for roughly 10 years. I finally realised if I was ever going to get one, then waiting for the perfect deal to come along probably wasn't going to happen. At the time I probably paid a couple of hundred too much. Today, the average selling price for what I have is now about double simply because of demand and supply. In reality there still in my opinion, hardly worth what I paid over 15 years ago. Ebay is chock full of way over priced South Bend and A###s machines, accessories and parts that the average member here would have zero use for and would be considered as worthless. Just because some will still spend that much, only proves they have deep pockets and no idea of real world value, or don't care. Personal want's for a now antique and almost no longer used machine tool are completely different than strategic business decisions. That said, and if you were around the block from me, I had the spare cash, and had the available shop space, then yeah I still might have illogically bought yours even though it was over priced. :-)

Just informing everyone that the Hendey Shaper has sold. For all the people who said it was priced to high, the shaper sold for $3,950 and was worth every penny.

To everyone who said it was overpriced, just realize that this machine was way out of your caliber. Have a great day!

Thanks,

Tyler

One person paying way too much for something doesn't establish market value.

Back