What's new
What's new

For Sale Fadal 4020 in Arlington WA

Element 74

Plastic
I have a 1997 Fadal 4020 I need gone. All its mechanicals are good, and it has a new Baldor H2 Vector VFD and X axis servo motor. It was a machine equipped with pallet changer, hydro sweep, and servo coolant from the factory. All those options have been deleted but it means there are several advantages to having had those options. It has a 28" Z instead of the standard 20" and extra servo controller that can be used for a 4th axis, also comes with a Renishaw TS-27 tool setter. When I bought it two years ago everything worked great, after having it professionally moved to my shop, I could not get it to power up properly. I called a local Fadal tech and had him go over everything to try and get it functional. After two days of work we concluded that the controller boards were the culprit. I planned on ditching the factory controller and upgrading to the Nxgen control to eliminate all possibilities of problems. Recently I changed course and ordered a new machine instead. I need the 4020 gone soon, it would be a great candidate for a retrofit or even as a parts machine. It still has tons of good parts on it and would be a waste to see it go to scrap. My new machine should be here next week between 11/21 - 11/23. For local buyer I can get you cheaper rigging if you can take delivery when Checkmate drops my new machine off. I can send pictures, they are too big to put in the add.

Asking $3000 OBO

Is it a boxway machien (4020) or a linear way machine(4020A)

DC or AC servos? (could be a rebuilt DC servo machine sold as a 1997 machine)

Had you thought about sending the boards to ITS in SoCal?

They made the boards, and could test and repair the boards as req'd.

I'm surprised a Fadal tech couldn't get it running or at least find the problem.

I think a lot of it had to do with all the axillary features being removed before he got his hands on it. Once the parts were removed the control was looking for a bunch of stuff that wasn't there anymore and was not happy. He was able to get the wiring back to factory and properly terminate the unused boards and wires, but by that time I had decided to go with a new control anyway to get the upgraded features it would provide. Fast forward to now, and I think you are correct that someone with the time and knowledge could get it running well. Unfortunately, I am not that person though.

Unfortunately my new machine shows up tomorrow morning so I ended up stripping the 4020 down of all its good parts and prepping it for the scrap bin. I do have a good amount of parts off it so if you are in need of anything let me know.

Back