What's new
What's new

Foreigner needs advice about IMTS and Chicago

The advice about dressing down applies to the show itself too. I went there the first time dressed nice and salespeople were jumping out into the aisle to flap to me. Went in there wearing jeans and a ball cap and was able to only talk to the people I wanted to go up and talk to.

Suits are Good Tools

For a couple of decades I was at every IMTS for the duration. With a job change I missed a number shows. No regrets really however Sue the T-Rex was put on display in the natural history museum. Without an IMTS visit my chances of getting to Chicago were slim. Another job change allowed just an overnight stay with a morning meeting. I checked with the staff at the Hilton and was given the disappointing news that the museum didn’t open until 10 AM on week days. I had a meeting at the show at 10 and would be flying out mid afternoon so no chance of getting in to see Sue the T-Rex. One of the hotel staff members advised that the T-Rex was just inside and was easily seen through the glass doors. In the morning, briefcase equipped, dressed in a suit and tie I caught a cab and was soon peeking at one of this planet’s great wonders. It took just a minute for a security guard to open the door and usher me inside. I was told to wait at the counter just a short distance from Sue. While I was gazing upward with my mouth hanging open just like the T-Rex I was asked who specifically I was there to see by an administrator, a woman in a tan suit. I got a good laugh for my explanation and was told that as it was just 8:00 the day’s activities were starting. A segment for the local public television station was being taped but I was welcome to watch. The prep labs were starting to fill up, “mind the dusty floors in the labs” she cautioned, I have free run of the museum I was told. The suit got me a much better visit than if I had purchased a ticket.

Back