What's new
What's new

Foreigner needs advice about IMTS and Chicago

I'm planning to go to IMTS this year, It will be my first trip away from Australia. I'm just wondering if any of the forum members can enlighten me on what areas of Chicago to avoid for accommodation? I don't want to get there and find I'm staying in a dodgy neighborhood. Also what is public transport like there? is it safe? plan to use that to get around a bit. Lastly and reccomendations of things to check out while I'm there?

One thing about Chicago, at least the wildlife (spiders/snakes etc) aren't nearly as dangerous as they are in OZ.

Good luck have fun.

snapatap is going to cancel his IMTS trip after reading this thread!
Hey snap, just go to the big show in Sydney. It's a lot cheaper than flying to/from Chicago with their big city ripoff pricing on everything. I've exhiibited at IMTS many times over the years. *And the thing I like best about Chicago is seeing it in my rear view mirror. oyeah, only 57 shot and 7 dead last night in Chicago.

Honestly the show is great, three big halls and it will take you two days to go through it all. Wear your most comfy walking shoes as you will be walking a lot. Your brain will go into sensory overload with all the exhibitors. If you're working the show yeah, it's just work your booth all day, have dinner and a couple cocktails and repeat the process the next day. Then teardown and go home.

Things to do? Museum of Science and Industry comes to mind as we all are some type of tech heads around here.

Awww man I necroposted! I usually watch the dates of posts but missed it this time.
Owell, everything about Chicago hasn't changed.

I'd wear a bullet-proof vest if I were ever to visit Chicago again. I was born there and it was bad when I left many years ago and now it's worse. Given the amount of shootings seen there, it's likely that there's no one in Chicago who does not carry a hand gun.

Chicago has a bad rap, and seems a tough place listening to the news, But I live near Detroit and don't fear that town at all. I have had perhaps two run-ins with bad guys who seemed they were ready to take me on but I have been able to walk away without incident.
Just yesterday at Harson's island (a safe place) on a narrow one-lane road I had a run-in. I was going out with two cars behind me and a Pickup was coming in. The pick-up guy likely near drunk was hopping mad. I got out and said "I can't move, if you could back up a tad we all could get out of your way..He backed up.

IF I had said "You stupid Ah why did you pull in" , I might have got shot or punched in the nose.

Last edited:
Stay at any hotel that is signed on with the show. They have shuttles that will get you to and from McCormick. I stayed near Midway airport last time and there were 3-4 hotels that had shuttles. Take a shuttle the show and days you want to be a tourist, take the shuttle again. It gets you close to most of the sites and you can uber or cab it from McCormick.
Good to know about shuttles. We are staying at the Blackstone and I’m excited for the show.
Prices were much cheaper with them being on the IMTS list.

I've stayed at the Palmer House and it is a very beautiful old hotel in a decent area of the city. Highly recommended and try a Bloody Mary in the lobby bar if that's your kind of thing. They're terrific.
We booked the Palmer House at the last show but there was a hotel workers strike going on and we had to find another place for the first night. (about 2 miles way also downtown) Ironically we should have stayed at the other place since after the PH finally got a room for us ready we went back there and thought the room too small and run down. PH lobby is nice but the rooms terrible compared to the place we went the first night (the name of which escapes me) which was about the same price.

Given the amount of shootings seen there, it's likely that there's no one in Chicago who does not carry a hand gun.

-That's not quite correct, taking a hand gun out of the house requires a concealed carry permit besides the other requirements for ownership (FOID card, 21 years old, etc.) and most owners likely have not been through CC certification. I'm no authority on the subject but I'd wager that most of the shootings are between rival gang members over "franchise territory", drug transactions, or the constant ebb/flow of how gangs operate. The shootings are often drive-by into enemy neighborhoods to target and terrorize the competition with spray-n-pray gunfire, hence the smaller percentage of deaths per shooting. Shootings are largely inaccurate, you just don't want to be where all the stray shots go, the second floor in your own house is no guarantee of safety ether. News reports dial up the hype purposely, they have a product to sell and can't be bothered with the details of an incident they really know nothing about anyway.

I've been in some of the downtown hotels before and agree that many have small rooms, big impressive lobbies, and the larger/better rooms will be rather costly. If the show is your sole objective I'd try to stay out in the suburbs and ride the early train in from the O'Hare area but be out of the downtown before sundown. If you want the flavor of Chicago then stay downtown. It's a terrific city to see but downtown prices are higher than near O'Hare, choice is yours.

If you remove gang violence from the equation (which won't involve most people at the IMTS) I don't regard Chicago as any more dangerous than Paris, Madrid, Amsterdam, or many other large dynamic cities around the world. Learn how to use public transportation, where/when NOT to go to some areas, plan and dress accordingly. You might just have a great time. Get some pizza and an Italian beef sandwich too.

Last edited:
The OP can also post specific plan details/logistics here before arrangements are made. Some of us here might have more information and/or an opinion based upon experience. It might be nice to provide a non-citizen visitor with a more balanced view of the USA than how the rest of the world perceives us. Just a thought.

And Chicago is on a roll again today. 19 hurt 5 dead during a parade. WTF is wrong with my country. WTF has changed in the last 30 years.

My cousin in Chicago says it is reasonably safe. Sure. His day job is tail gunner on a Budweiser delivery truck.
I did a show there a few years ago and stayed at a hotel on the show bus loop for the show. Took the show bus or a taxi. Pick a hotel with a good restaurant.

QT:(His day job is tail gunner on a Budweiser delivery truck.)

That is not funny. I had a friend who stole a beer truck (Bob K.), drove it down to hankle's woods , and drank warm beer until the cops came to put him back in the cooler. Back in the good old days, one could steel a beer truck and not expect to get shot.

But that was not Chicago, it was a half-mile north of 8mile road, just above Detroit.

Last edited:
Humans are like any other predator
Opportunistic looking for easy prey. Attitude and situational awareness make a huge difference wherever you are.

So, according to you the shooters are concerned with not having concealed carry permits. :D
-Well certainly they are, claiming to have shot/killed someone without having the proper documentation doesn't help your street gang cred does it? Even aiming a firearm at someone without intending to use it just seems.....insincere.

-Well certainly they are, claiming to have shot/killed someone without having the proper documentation doesn't help your street gang cred does it? Even aiming a firearm at someone without intending to use it just seems.....insincere.
It's nearly impossible to obtain a concealed carry permit in the City of Chicago. So I doubt that any of the 57 people who were shot there on the 4th of July weekend were shot by CCW carriers.
If you were to obtain a CCW license in Chicago, it would probably get you kicked out of your gang.

I've attended a bunch 'o times, I'll prolly never go to the show again though.................the show is great, but everything about Chicago and it's suburbs makes my skin crawl. And no, I'm not some country hick that's afraid of the big bad scary city...............I just hate, HATE, most large cities and Chicago is at the top of the list.........noisy, dirty, crowded, rude folks, traffic sucks.....................I'm just an open fields blue skies kinda guy.................if they set up a big tent in an Iowa corn field for the show, I'll be there........................

Back