Plastic
These came in a small box of odds and ends with a new to me small lathe
The bits are not for the lathe I purchased and I suspect are much older
No makers marks on any of them that I can find
The shank is about 3 inches long 3/8 inch tall and 1/4 inch wide
The tips are turned up and nicely finished
Anything anybody can tell me about them would be appreciated P1010020.JPG

You can see some similar tools and their uses shown here ,
and if you scroll back and forward a few pages.
I have seen a chart showing the several types in another book.
I'll see if I can find it later.
Jim
P.S.
I found the pages I was looking for in another book .
you can flip back and forward a few pages from these links too for more details.
Jim

Last edited:
Worked fine for making such as this 85 ton assembly over 120 years ago at the Brooks plant in New Jersey
Its what they had (or made quickly as needed). They likely weren't aware that such things would evolve into something better. Check out the Grand Pa next to rear driving wheel - which are 80" in diameter

L.S. & M. S. is Lake Shore and Michigan Southern

Attachments

• Scan 02.jpg
    Scan 02.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I've wanted to make some like that to play with. Lotta work to make them, but afterwards sharpening is easy. I've read that they cut very well due to the face geometry and the downward pressure creating a spring gooseneck of sorts, so less chatter.

I've also thought about making something like an indexable holder that would follow the same geometric shape. Steel holder that holds a vertical HSS bit clocked 45 to the holder. Sharpening would be as simple as grinding the top face and feeding more bit out to the prior height.

I think there were some tool holders made like that at one time and you could just clamp in a regular H.S.S. tool bit with the end sticking up and you just sharpened the top and raised the tip back to center height.
There were some others that were similar but had special shaped bits to fit their brand of holder
I can't remember the brand names off hand but there have been threads about them on this forum in years past.
I posted some forged boring tools in this thread a long time ago .
the thumb nails are still there but I didn't want to pay the ransom to have them work.
I have attached them again below.
Jim

Attachments

• DSCF1992.JPG
    DSCF1992.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF2145.JPG
    DSCF2145.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF2146.JPG
    DSCF2146.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I think there were some tool holders made like that at one time and you could just clamp in a regular H.S.S. tool bit with the end sticking up and you just sharpened the top and raised the tip back to center height.
There were some others that were similar but had special shaped bits to fit their brand of holder
I can't remember the brand names off hand but there have been threads about them on this forum in years past.
I posted some forged boring tools in this thread a long time ago .
the thumb nails are still there but I didn't want to pay the ransom to have them work.
I have attached them again below.
Jim
OK tool holder co. was one, although they used some very proprietary forged bits. The indexable HSS concept is there though.

I've wanted to make some like that to play with. Lotta work to make them, but afterwards sharpening is easy. I've read that they cut very well due to the face geometry and the downward pressure creating a spring gooseneck of sorts, so less chatter.

I've also thought about making something like an indexable holder that would follow the same geometric shape. Steel holder that holds a vertical HSS bit clocked 45 to the holder. Sharpening would be as simple as grinding the top face and feeding more bit out to the prior height.

Back in the day when Sami was very young (and equally skint), he was given a 2 oz tobacco tin of short ends of 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 ground HSS that were too short to go in to tool holders. (plunder of untold value !)
Having read that HSS maintains it's hardness even when red hot I tried silver soldering one on to a ''shelf'' or rebate cut in the end of a piece of 1/2 sq cold rolled, and it worked

From then on I mounted them at all sorts of odd angles - to either get at a feature or use existing angles to save on grinding, etc etc, .............. and still do so today.

I didn't check for more recent information but H.S.S. rod was available from Welco in the mid 1970s early 1980s as well .from a booklet I have.

Attachments

• Image (671).jpg
    Image (671).jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Image (672).jpg
    Image (672).jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 6

Back