What's new
What's new

Forklift Safety

Hi Hot Wrench, Pettibone is long-gone, but you might check on-line sites for Trupar and Unique Forklift parts for parts and manuals.
Good luck, NIKOLAT
Requests submitted to both establishments. I'll let you know what, if any, replies I receive.

Anyone else have any information on a Transitier by Mercury-Pettibone 250WFS lift?

My first job was driving a forklift. We got basic pointers, but not much else. It was in a paper warehouse and we were often working at the limits of the machines. That was almost 50 years ago. I heard that today you have to have a license or some kind of formal training if you do it for a business.
In Massachusetts you need a hoisting license if you will operate them at various locations but in-house training (documented) is ok for use within a single facility.

They are great with dual wheels ....the sandblasters had ordinary manual and powershift H80s with duals working on soft black sand ......theyd bog down if the kids were dumb enough to try to drive out on full lock (they were dumb enough for anything).

back in the day ,you needed a ticket to drive a forklift ,called a Second Class Operators Licence......but you could then operate any mobile plant including cranes under 10 ton......then the carpet baggers got to the government,you had to go to a shonky operators school ,there were separate tickets for everything,costing from hundreds up to thousands of dollars.......now ,since the plague ,with zero workers, the scumbag governmnt has been forced to drop 90% of the tickets ,leaving all the guys who paid thousands for tickets out in the cold.

NYS changed licensing for cranes, maybe 10 years ago to include ALL cranes even privately owned and operated on owners property. Sold my Koehring 5T crawler crane some years back, good move as it would only be a target for enforcement now. Not sure how the antique engine/ digger shows get along under current rules.

NYS changed licensing for cranes, maybe 10 years ago to include ALL cranes even privately owned and operated on owners property. Sold my Koehring 5T crawler crane some years back, good move as it would only be a target for enforcement now. Not sure how the antique engine/ digger shows get along under current rules.
The trick is to use the crane to lift a large ring over the perimeter of your property. Enforcement won't be able to enter because they can't walk under a suspended load.

My old crawler crane was a good subject for a safety video......big open gears inches from your left side,if you opened the throttle lever too much ,you rapped your knuckles on the rotating band clutch behind it........tractor seat on a swivel,if you fell back ,it was into rotating gears for the reversing box.........not to mention 1/2ton of asbestos in bands and brake linings..........good old jigger ,never let me down in 30 years......but did nearly kill me ........anyhoo,left it with the land buyer ,shame really,but Im just too old for stuff like that.

Requests submitted to both establishments. I'll let you know what, if any, replies I receive.

Anyone else have any information on a Transitier by Mercury-Pettibone 250WFS lift?
I got a reply from TruPar saying that they don't have anything and to check with the OEM. :LOL:
Nothing from Unique.

I had/took the OSHA forklift training and one thing was to have hand signals so you don't have to depend on voice, and the most important signal to be agreed on was "stop".
In the best forklift team, the driver looks at his guide ..and any time he can't see his guide he stops and waits until he can.
Had a guy helping years ago, every signal Fwd,Rev,Up,Down,etc was the same hand wiggle. He wasn't around long. Another time, I sold a mill to a guy (Laurel) and his buddy (Hardy). They stood beside each other, one waving me 'ahead' and the other waving me 'back'....at the same time. I stopped, shut off the machine, and told them they needed to organize their union and decide which one of them was appointed 'riggers hand' before we continue.

The best safety breach Ive seen was a crane lifting a steel rail inside a shed ,rail was too close to the wall to balance,so one of the painters grabbed the short end and sat on it to balance it .......soon as the dummy driving the crane sees that ,he raises the rail 20 ft high to give the painter a scare,and wont lower the rail........hard to imagine anyone could function with a single digit IQ..........Another time the boss and a foreman were lifting a big boiler with a crane at either end ,and the bosses crane had the back wheels 6ft off the ground.

I got a reply from TruPar saying that they don't have anything and to check with the OEM. :LOL:
Nothing from Unique.
Finding any info on Transitier will be quite a task as I worked on a few in the early 60's and if I recall they had 4 banger Crosley engines in them and parts were hard to find then!

The best safety breach Ive seen was a crane lifting a steel rail inside a shed ,rail was too close to the wall to balance,so one of the painters grabbed the short end and sat on it to balance it .......soon as the dummy driving the crane sees that ,he raises the rail 20 ft high to give the painter a scare,and wont lower the rail........hard to imagine anyone could function with a single digit IQ..........Another time the boss and a foreman were lifting a big boiler with a crane at either end ,and the bosses crane had the back wheels 6ft off the ground.

I've ridden a crane hook 25' in the air. Had to unlock the lid on a grain bin so we could drop the hook through. I'm not a fan of heights, but it wasn't a big deal.

I've ridden a crane hook 25' in the air. Had to unlock the lid on a grain bin so we could drop the hook through. I'm not a fan of heights, but it wasn't a big deal.
We were unloading one day in tall grass and mesquite, employee was riding the block from trailer to ground and back to avoid walking thru it. When we were done she asked me to swing her in a circle, it was all fun until I noticed she was on a collision course with the drivers cab of the crane and I reversed rotation direction, she came within inches of smacking it:eek:

Finding any info on Transitier will be quite a task as I worked on a few in the early 60's and if I recall they had 4 banger Crosley engines in them and parts were hard to find then!
Best I've found is a picture of a sales brochure with some specs on it. You are correct, the early ones did have Crosley engines. Mine has a Waukesha ICK-170 which is a tiny 61 ci flathead 4. The block is 13" long.

Back