What's new
What's new

Four jaw chuck recommendations

Vecair

Aluminum
Looking to buy 6" independent four jaw for my SB. Any suggestions on which one to buy? Looking at Shars to begin, have a Bison three jaw so no need to go crazy on a four. Suggestions appreciated, cheers!

I have a 3 jaw SANOU chuck that I have been super happy with , using it now for @ 7 years & still happy with it .
I got it from these folks , but I'm sure you can get them on Amazon or e-pay .
Chucks | CME Tools
animal

I have a 4 jaw for a South Bend here I’d sell. I don’t know the brand it came with the South Bend lathe I had in the early 80s. It’s probably made by South Bend Lathe. I know it’s not import those didn’t exist back then. Anyway $100 plus flat shipping and it’s guaranteed to thread right on. Will fit in a flat rate box. Let me know if interested I can post pics tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to buy 6" independent four jaw for my SB. Any suggestions on which one to buy? Looking at Shars to begin, have a Bison three jaw so no need to go crazy on a four. Suggestions appreciated, cheers!

Just to be sure it would be good to tell us what your spindle nose is. Since you want a 6 inch 4 jaw I'm guessing you have a 9-10 inch South Bend. If it's a 9 or 10K it will be threaded 1 1/2-8. But if it's a heavy 10 it could be threaded 2 1/4-8 or a 4 inch type D-1 cam lock or even an L-00 long taper.
David

Just to be sure it would be good to tell us what your spindle nose is. Since you want a 6 inch 4 jaw I'm guessing you have a 9-10 inch South Bend. If it's a 9 or 10K it will be threaded 1 1/2-8. But if it's a heavy 10 it could be threaded 2 1/4-8 or a 4 inch type D-1 cam lock or even an L-00 long taper.
David

There was a thread recently about good chucks in the "General" section. Those guys were mentioning brands I never heard of that they really liked, all Asian names. See if you can find it, it will give you some options. The Sanou (sp?) mentioned in here was liked.

There was a thread recently about good chucks in the "General" section. Those guys were mentioning brands I never heard of that they really liked, all Asian names. See if you can find it, it will give you some options. The Sanou (sp?) mentioned in here was liked.

Man I wasted a ton of time looking for that thread, but couldn't find it. I found my notes though as the info seemed really good to me when looking for a lathe chuck and considering the contemporary offerings. Here are the ones that were in high regard for buying new today:

Gator
Fuerda
Sano / Sanou
TOS Svitavy
Seoam

Also it was mentioned that if one could find NOS versions of any of these that would be a great find also:

Bison
Cushman
Buck
Skinner
Horton

Good luck! I looked at the Gators after reading this thread and thought I may give them a try if i ever decide to buy a new one.

I have a 4 jaw for a South Bend here I’d sell. I don’t know the brand it came with the South Bend lathe I had in the early 80s. It’s probably made by South Bend Lathe. I know it’s not import those didn’t exist back then. Anyway $100 plus flat shipping and it’s guaranteed to thread right on. Will fit in a flat rate box. Let me know if interested I can post pics tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes would be interested in your chuck for my SB. Sent you a PM with my email if you want to send pics there or post them here on PM. Thanks!

Man I wasted a ton of time looking for that thread, but couldn't find it. I found my notes though as the info seemed really good to me when looking for a lathe chuck and considering the contemporary offerings. Here are the ones that were in high regard for buying new today:

Gator
Fuerda
Sano / Sanou
TOS Svitavy
Seoam

Also it was mentioned that if one could find NOS versions of any of these that would be a great find also:

Bison
Cushman
Buck
Skinner
Horton

Good luck! I looked at the Gators after reading this thread and thought I may give them a try if i ever decide to buy a new one.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, now the work begins!

2 names not on the list above are Kitigawa and Rohm.

I've had good luck finding quality chucks at discount prices on ebay. Search for "lathe chuck", then apply filters for "used" and "US only". You do have to sift thru the over-priced and beat to hell junk, but there are deals to be found, maybe not today, but with diligence they do show up. If you are the impatient type, the china junk is what you deserve.

I've had good luck finding quality chucks at discount prices on ebay. Search for "lathe chuck", then apply filters for "used" and "US only". You do have to sift thru the over-priced and beat to hell junk, but there are deals to be found, maybe not today, but with diligence they do show up. If you are the impatient type, the china junk is what you deserve.

Does this mean everything made in China is junk? Kinda offensive don't ya think? If true I have been flying Chinese junk for 20 years now, lucky to be alive I guess.:confused:

If you are the impatient type, the china junk is what you deserve.
I could never see getting carried away over 4 jaws ... 3 jaws, sure, but as long as the grippy part is straight and the slidey parts are snug, I can't think of anything that would make one 4 jaw better or worser than another. Maybe strength, in a big lathe, but in a small one that doesn't matter ...

Does this mean everything made in China is junk? Kinda offensive don't ya think? If true I have been flying Chinese junk for 20 years now, lucky to be alive I guess.:confused:

No, I do not consider it offensive, just the hard reality of the majority of what they send us. Like anyone else there are some chinese made tools in my shop, but no lathe chucks. I did buy a chinese made mag drill last year, straight out of the box it was barely usable, they should just advertise it as a kit, after tearing it down, making a few new parts, and rewiring it, its not too bad.

Not familiar with chinese aircraft, do tell.

Edit: I paid slightly more for quality chucks on ebay than the chinese chucks, the Kitigawa was NOS still in cosmolene, the Rohm was listed as nos, it may have been used, but if so barely. Patience!

No, I do not consider it offensive, just the hard reality of the majority of what they send us. Like anyone else there are some chinese made tools in my shop, but no lathe chucks. I did buy a chinese made mag drill last year, straight out of the box it was barely usable, they should just advertise it as a kit, after tearing it down, making a few new parts, and rewiring it, its not too bad.

Not familiar with chinese aircraft, do tell.

Edit: I paid slightly more for quality chucks on ebay than the chinese chucks, the Kitigawa was NOS still in cosmolene, the Rohm was listed as nos, it may have been used, but if so barely. Patience!

Nanchang CJ-6 - Wikipedia

Thanks everyone for your input and advice, much appreciated. I have accepted adh2000's offer of his SB four jaw which is a real help. Again thanks for your help all! Cheers from Arizona!

Nice plane! That might be one of the few things they put real quality into, at least I'd hope so:D

Smart move on getting the used SB chuck.

Well I will say this, people get what they pay for. Having sold, restored, maintained and flown Chinese and Russian aircraft for over twenty years I can tell you they make products just as good as we do and in some cases better. We demand cheap products and they respond to that. If we demanded quality and would pay the price for it they would supply it. Just like Japan did back in the 70's. They didn't go to the moon with junk.

no not everything from "mainland" china is junk, but much is, for the above mentioned reasons, ie, most us consumers idiotically demand low price above quality, and we pay and pay, and then pay more for that in so many ways. then the same folk rail against "foreigners", rank hypocrisy.

Kitagawa, and rohlm are it the top tier of quality, TOS is close behind from the examples I have. everything else is a big step behind, (Bison isn't that far behind on an good day..)

no not everything from "mainland" china is junk, but much is, for the above mentioned reasons, ie, most us consumers idiotically demand low price above quality, and we pay and pay, and then pay more for that in so many ways. then the same folk rail against "foreigners", rank hypocrisy.

Kitagawa, and rohlm are it the top tier of quality, TOS is close behind from the examples I have. everything else is a big step behind, (Bison isn't that far behind on an good day..)

And in my initial post I gave 2 quality names that had not been mentioned, and advice on how to cut thru the clutter on ebay to find quality, with an admonition of it takes patience, was that not advocating for quality?

Some company in china may make a quality chuck, but here in America if you look on ebay or Yangtze, err um Amazon, you get a choice of 2 brands, Sanou or CME, and they all come with a photocopied inspection certificate that is not even suitable as ass wipe material. Yes I agree, we should all demand quality.

Back