What's new
What's new

FP3NC Dialog 4 Shaking screen graphics

noltelouis

Plastic
Good day all.

I though I would spend my Christmas holidays to try and get my FP3NC with Dialog 4 up and running. I was unfortunately stopped dead in my tracks!

I always had this issue with the machine that when it is switched on, the display would look nice and crisp (running and external monitor through the BNC). After a couple of minutes, the lettering would start to "vibrate" and get fuzzy. Like there is some electrical interference. I knew it had something to do with temperature, as it just got worse the longer the machine was on.

Anyway, while it was shaking, I tried to wiggle some of the PCBs in the console, to see if it might be a bad solder joint that moved under temperature. I tracked the culprit to the NCR53 board. I also know that that is the CRT board, and surely must have something to do with the display. I then removed the board to inspect it, and was shocked at the condition of the board. I can see that it had numerous repairs done to it, and to the state where a lot of the tracks and solder pads had some damage to them.

I thought I would attempt to re-solder some of the joints that looked suspect to me, so I did. Problem now is, that after my attempt to repair is, stopped it working completely, or so I think!?

After the re-solder exercise, the machine refuses to power up and initialize. I also realized that LED 2 on the NSV90 board is now off. LED 5,6,7,8 on the NPP90 (cnc has not yet reapond) is also now on. So I think the real question is, is the NCR53 board responsible for the machine not initiating and showing the error on LED2 (PC-internal emergency stop), or could there be something else at fault? Maybe if someone knows whether a missing or broken NCR53 will trigger this error?

See attached photos of the board damage.

Thanks, and hope to get some guidance!

Attachments

• IMG_20210712_184036_109.jpg
    IMG_20210712_184036_109.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    453.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    518.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hi Noltelouis
i have the same problem but i haven't the documentation, i bought my machine laterly with the same fault, if you have the documentation please send me it
thanks , Mamdouh

Do the single best upgrade that you can for your machine.
Scrap the CRT display and invest in an LCD DISPLAY.
Better display. more reliable and the best advantage it will lower the cabinet temp , which will extend the life of the control.
Well worth the investment.
Cheers Ross

When I first brought up my D4 control on the fp2, the screen graphics were terrible. They also vibrated and changed size during warm up, and were so faint they were hard to see. However, adjusting the pots on the side of the monitor fixed the problem immediately, and now the display is nice and crisp, similar to the display on my D2 control. I did not need to do anything with the NCR53 board.

I have a couple spare complete D2 controls and monitors, so if a D2 NCR53 board would work with D4, contact me offline.

If something is wrong in the machine the "Not-Aus" Chain is broken. therefore this might be caused by any detected defect.
Solution for your question; find someone in your near environment who may lent you the NCR53 Card.
I also would suggest that a LCD will help with the problem of shaking picture, like ross wrote.
@noltelouis : If you dont make progress sent me a pm then we may write via email.
@Mamdouh : SEnt me a pm with the information which document you need, i may sent you some of them.
@rimcanyon : Yes , if NCR53 and not NCR52 , only EPROM might be different

Back