What's new
What's new

FP3NC Lubrication

J Geisler

Plastic
G'day All,

Firstly, thank you to you all for your continued efforts providing tips, clues and answers to the myriad of questions that get thrown about here.
The depth of knowledge generally never fails to impress me.

I have a question, if I may:
As the title suggests - this is regarding my original mid 80's FP3NC. (Dialog3).

20+ years ago, I decided to commit to Mobil for my existing machine tool lubrication requirements.
Regarding the automatic centralized lubrication system, I'd like to drain the remaining unknown origin / brand of fluid and replace with a Mobil product.
Mobile Tech assures me that Vactra 4 is the equivalent of the Deckel User Manual recommended -Bettbahnol 220.
I have the Vactra 4 within my existing stock.
The Vogel reservoir / dispenser doesn't appear to have a drain-port and so, first question, do I presume you need to 'mop' out the original fluid manually?
Because I managed to let the fluid level fall below the minimum level, I've now managed to score a FP03 error code.
My large Op. manuals (both Dialog2 and Dialog4) do not cover this situation.
So to finish the question, once I remove the original fluid, by whatever means, and refill, is it simply a matter of cycling the lube function continually (by repeatedly hitting the start/stop buttons on the console) to rebleed the system or is there more layers to it on the basis that a certain amount of air has now entered the clear plastic delivery tubes.?
Prefer not to have to tear the machine apart...! :oops:

Thanks
Jesse Geisler - Melbourne, Aust

There is no drain in the lube pump resivor
I would remove the unit , remove the clear tank and clean it out. It’s not a big project
Can likely remove the tank without disconnecting anything (oil line or wiring)
Undo the mount (4 bolts) will likely allow enough flexibility to remove the tank for cleaning.
Be careful to use lint free wiping media.

As to Vactra 4. It is called out in the Manual. It’s not the same oil as it was when Deckel called it.
Formula was changed. Some users here will tell you that Vactra #4 is just fine. Me I do not agree. Mobil came up with a product after the change to Vactra#4 that was blended to replicate the original Vactra #4 formula , in my mind there was a reason for the introduction of that product.
“Vacouline” is the product that copies original Vactra#4.
The viscosity desired should be ISO 220. Believe the Mobil product is: Vacouline 1419.
As to re-charging the oil system, there is a lube cycle button on the control operators panel.
If the machine is powered up and standing , pressing the lube button will cycle the lube pump.
Your machine has detected a “low lube” condition and will take a number of cycles on the button (lube) to clear that fault.
I would continue cycling the lube pump (button) till I could see the way oil being pushed out of the gap where the “Y” slide meets the main machine casting on both sides.
To de sure, you can remove both main cover panels and look to be sure that the clear lube lines that feed the banjo fittings that supple oil to the “y” slide are filled(no bubbles).

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross,

You're a gem Man! THANK YOU.
That the info I was hoping for.

Based on your Vaculine 1419 suggestion I went back to the local Mobil Industrial Fluid Tech Centre and quizzed them further...
The short of it is none of the Vaculine series of product is brought into Australia.
I still requested all product information of both Vactra 4 and Vaculine 1419 to be sent.
Spending a moment creating a legible spreadsheet of all the relevant numbers of Vactra 4 / Vaculine 1419, Vactra Extra Heavy and Vactra BB (some of which are obsolete) gave me a better perspective.
As such, I tend to agree with your assessment in that Vaculine does read better and seems to be (according to the wording of the marketing dept!) a superior lubricant over the Vactra 4
Having Vactra 2, Vactra 4 and Vactra Extra Heavy on my shelf here would lead me to continue with the Vactra 4.
I appreciate your considered response including the extra suggested series of processes involved in executing the brand change of oil.

Cheers Ross.

Jesse Geisler

Back