What's new
What's new

Freight forwarding cutting tool orders? USA to Canada

Stirling

Hot Rolled
Anyone here have experience using a freight forwarder to ship tooling orders (or online orders in general) USA to Canada?

Haas tooling online ordering gets some pretty good sales sometimes but the Canadian reps won’t sell for listed sales price. “Online orders only”
And they don’t like even offering haas tooling. I’m thinking it’s a poor margin for them.
But the haas tooling is 1/3-1/2 the price of anything else they quote out

I’ve used some of the tooling and am happy and being jobber/short run shop
The savings are significant
New cheap tool holders still work better than worn out premium ones that you don’t want to replace due to costs.

Alberta is kind of a bitch, but do you have any friends in Vancouver ? 2/3 the economy of Blaine is post office boxes where people from Vancouver come over to pick up stuff and bypass Canada customs. It's about $2 per box for the receive-and-store service, until someone can run over and grab their stuff.

There's a 2 gallon per day limit on milk tho, so don't be getting ideas :D

Alberta is kind of a bitch, but do you have any friends in Vancouver ? 2/3 the economy of Blaine is post office boxes where people from Vancouver come over to pick up stuff and bypass Canada customs. It's about $2 per box for the receive-and-store service, until someone can run over and grab their stuff.

There's a 2 gallon per day limit on milk tho, so don't be getting ideas :D

I used to do it all the time, lived 15 minutes north, but I typically went to Lynden, and stopped at Edaleen Dairy
and bought milk and icecream right at the farm.

I used to do it all the time, lived 15 minutes north, but I typically went to Lynden, and stopped at Edaleen Dairy
There's an edaleen right on the main street at the edge of town, across the parking lot from the pizza place (not bad pizza) ... ice cream cones went from $1 to $1.75 over a year's time. And inflation is only 4%, or some such shit.

Surprisingly, the same chocolate milk is cheaper at Cost Cutter (ironic name, they are the most expensive store in the lower 48) than at the edaleen store itself.

No Vancouver people here ?

I believe implmex is. I got out of the hell hole of what the lower mainland BC has become and moved 5.5 hours north, to a nice quiet dirt road and less craziness.

In 2020 / 2021 Mailboxes International in Blaine started to do freight forwarding, and would amalgamate small packages into one. I have found using USPS the most cost effective to get the package across the border for commercial items, because they manage the customs clearance at a much lower cost than an independant broker. Worth contacting Mailboxes (MBI) to see if they are still doing that. They are good people.
If you're driving down to the US to pick up commercial goods, you are obligated to pay a commercial processing fee at the border (+/- $15) on the way down, and come back through the commercial crossing. I got a "strike" on my NEXUS card for failing to report that I was entering the US to collect a commercial package.
I've done my own paperwork at the 176th (Blaine) truck crossing a few times, and would caution anyone planning to do that to research the paperwork, Port of Entry code, duty codes etc before attempting it. In my experience, the officers on the Canadian commercial side are super-efficient, but they are not tasked to do your paperwork, or help you figure it out. The PCs that you use to enter your information appear to be running on early DOS, and provide a linear path through the forms. If you make a mistake, you get to start over at the beginning. Bring your reading glasses, because the 12" monochrome monitors are only slightly better than the 15 year old dot-matix printed instructions on the wall that are so sun-faded that braille would be easier to read. The officers are happy to point to the half-dozen 24/7 brokers located steps away, who are in turn happy to charge several hundred bucks to correct your paperwork for you. YMMV, and yes I know that tons of people bluff their way throught the passenger border all the time. That's not me. They'd see it on my face while I was still 5 vehicles back in the lineup, and I value my ability to easily enter the USA way too much to mess with it.

I got out of the hell hole of what the lower mainland BC has become
I was surprised at how many murders and so on, even in surrey ?

moved 5.5 hours north, to a nice quiet dirt road and less craziness.
House at pook's corner :) how to get deliveries ?

homesweethome.jpg

5 hours north ... powell river ? texada ? port hardy ? sointula, of course ! :D

All those places too cool for school, I am jealous ...

In 2020 / 2021 Mailboxes International in Blaine started to do freight forwarding, and would amalgamate small packages into one. I have found using USPS the most cost effective to get the package across the border for commercial items, because they manage the customs clearance at a much lower cost than an independant broker. Worth contacting Mailboxes (MBI) to see if they are still doing that. They are good people.
If you're driving down to the US to pick up commercial goods, you are obligated to pay a commercial processing fee at the border (+/- $15) on the way down, and come back through the commercial crossing. I got a "strike" on my NEXUS card for failing to report that I was entering the US to collect a commercial package.
I've done my own paperwork at the 176th (Blaine) truck crossing a few times, and would caution anyone planning to do that to research the paperwork, Port of Entry code, duty codes etc before attempting it. In my experience, the officers on the Canadian commercial side are super-efficient, but they are not tasked to do your paperwork, or help you figure it out. The PCs that you use to enter your information appear to be running on early DOS, and provide a linear path through the forms. If you make a mistake, you get to start over at the beginning. Bring your reading glasses, because the 12" monochrome monitors are only slightly better than the 15 year old dot-matix printed instructions on the wall that are so sun-faded that braille would be easier to read. The officers are happy to point to the half-dozen 24/7 brokers located steps away, who are in turn happy to charge several hundred bucks to correct your paperwork for you. YMMV, and yes I know that tons of people bluff their way throught the passenger border all the time. That's not me. They'd see it on my face while I was still 5 vehicles back in the lineup, and I value my ability to easily enter the USA way too much to mess with it.
Have you used them often?
Safe and quality service?
I’d hate to place a big order to find out they suck!

Shot them an email so I’ll see what the costs are like

I hate the fact being Canadian effectively equals an extra tax on goods.

I can recommend Security Mail Services also on H st also in Blaine ... told you half the business of that town is boxes for canadians :) -- super nice guy, goes out of his way to help, also a lady who is not only nice but funny - but I don't see how this will help you ? If you can hop across the border or someone will do it for you, then you're set but just remailing, still goes through canada customs :(

I used to buy stuff on craigslist, just meet the guy in the park or even under the peace portal and swap stuff for cash, cops on both sides, no one cared :) Of course we weren't transferring large crates on a pallet jack either but ....

I can recommend Security Mail Services also on H st also in Blaine ... told you half the business of that town is boxes for canadians :) -- super nice guy, goes out of his way to help, also a lady who is not only nice but funny - but I don't see how this will help you ? If you can hop across the border or someone will do it for you, then you're set but just remailing, still goes through canada customs :(

I used to buy stuff on craigslist, just meet the guy in the park or even under the peace portal and swap stuff for cash, cops on both sides, no one cared :) Of course we weren't transferring large crates on a pallet jack either but ....
ill look inot them, thanks :) as far as meeting somone im simply too far from a boarder, a solid 110KM to the closest crossing. id rather pay the shipping

Thought you were in Edmonton. If you’re that close to Coutts that it’s only 110 km one way a Saturday trip may be worth your while. A friend used to get (personal, not business) stuff shipped to US side and paid only a few dollars per package for them to hold till he picked up. As you know, way cheaper to buy and ship if you can use a US address. Haven’t done this for commercial goods, maybe the dollar savings and time doesn’t work for that.

I went through this one time returning some castings to Canada a customer rejected. Foundry had stacked bad castings bad side down bottom of the pile. I was losing money on the deal thought I would do my own clearance bringing back. 4 hours of filling in like you say and told wrong and "not my job to tell you what's wrong".

Shot them an email so I’ll see what the costs are like

I hate the fact being Canadian effectively equals an extra tax on goods.
I have been an MBI customer for +/- 15 years. Hundreds of packages for my personal racing hobby - even pallets with 24 race tires. They've grown a ton in that time, so I'm not the only one using their services. There are other similar services in Blaine as mentioned by others.
I've only had them forward a few shipments, including several different Vidmars that I bought at different auctions during the COVID border closure. One 13 drawer unit was full of hardware and was ridiculously heavy - the final mile trucker did have some feedback about that (MBI typically deals with packages, not equipment or fixtures). MBI consolidated the shipment and forwarded it - so I paid one brokerage fee vs. 4 or 5. The fees must have been reasonable, because I can't remember how much they charged. If it left a mark, I'd remember.
Once, they made a mistake and forwarded me the wrong package. Time was of the essence - it was something for a family member who was at the end of life, and it was an obscure book in german that they'd enjoyed as a kid (not easy to source). They moved heaven and earth to get me the package next day, no cost, took full responsibility and 100% dealt with it without knowing the backstory - no further input from me required - I told them there'd been a mistake and they immediately fixed it. It meant a lot, and is the sort of thing you don't forget. As mentioned, they are good people.

I was surprised at how many murders and so on, even in surrey ?

House at pook's corner :) how to get deliveries ?

View attachment 423753

5 hours north ... powell river ? texada ? port hardy ? sointula, of course ! :D

All those places too cool for school, I am jealous ...

Surrey is bad, its the younger generation of East Indians, killing each other fighting over drug turf.

I went to the interior, I am in the Cariboo area of BC. My parents built their soon to be retirement home on a lake up here so I decided to move close by.

My friend however cashed out of the lower mainland and bought 90 acres on the ocean at the North end of Texada for cheap right when the fears of Covid started and real estate paused selling before everyone decided to get out of the cities and pushed prices up again. It is beautiful up there on the coast.

Follow up on this.

I have called/emailed back and forth with haas head office
They have informed me that Canadian reps can now have access to the sale pricing.
You must sent/email your cart to the distributor for quoting.
It is at the reps desecration pricing they give you and not mandatory that they go or the pricing on the haas website.
Mine shows to add 10% to the tools ordered and does not hon or the “winners circle” (lol) membership discounts that can be had through the website (around another 10% savings)

Haas also requires some export papers to be filled out now stating you will not resell/shit these products to a country the USA does not play nice with.
This must be filled by the rep and the buyer/end user of the tools.

So dependant on your order it is still cheaper to freight forward if the order is large enough but at least we have a conclusion to my inquiry’s

Note: haas tooling people where good to deal with over the phone and emails where answered/replied to quote quickly

Follow up on this.

I have called/emailed back and forth with haas head office
They have informed me that Canadian reps can now have access to the sale pricing.
You must sent/email your cart to the distributor for quoting.
It is at the reps desecration pricing they give you and not mandatory that they go or the pricing on the haas website.
Mine shows to add 10% to the tools ordered and does not hon or the “winners circle” (lol) membership discounts that can be had through the website (around another 10% savings)

Haas also requires some export papers to be filled out now stating you will not resell/shit these products to a country the USA does not play nice with.
This must be filled by the rep and the buyer/end user of the tools.

So dependant on your order it is still cheaper to freight forward if the order is large enough but at least we have a conclusion to my inquiry’s

Note: haas tooling people where good to deal with over the phone and emails where answered/replied to quote quickly

Not sure if it’s any help but I had a catalogue show up last week from helical tools saying they now have Canadian pricing and flat rate shipping.

Not sure if it’s any help but I had a catalogue show up last week from helical tools saying they now have Canadian pricing and flat rate shipping.

I’ll check it out.
Honestly I prefer anywhere I can log in and simply order. If I need help I’ll reach out to their staff.
The system of requesting quotes. Receiving. Confirming… on basic commodity items is antiquated.

This particular order was a lot of odds and sofa to tool up a lathe torrent.
Holders, reducers. Collets. Udrills., jist a smattering of stuff.
The haas stuff is great pricing compared to what quoted I ever get from Alberta tooling houses.
Heck jist a few drill bodys and inserts is a fortune here. For low volume it’s hard to justify a $600 body and another $400 in inserts to drill a 1” hole for the boring bar to fit into.
horses for courses and all.

Always best to have options.
I’ll dig into helical. I’ll need endmills soon. Good to stock up befor fiscal year end :$

Did you end up buying through your local dealer? How did it go? I just ordered a HSK YG shrink fit holder for $370 and I see Haas has South Korean same spec holder for $110. It's possible that they are re badged YG. I was going to buy multiples but the price scared me away. At $110 even if I had to pay brokerage it's cheaper but if I can avoid the hassle of Brokerage etc I will.

Did you end up buying through your local dealer? How did it go? I just ordered a HSK YG shrink fit holder for $370 and I see Haas has South Korean same spec holder for $110. It's possible that they are re badged YG. I was going to buy multiples but the price scared me away. At $110 even if I had to pay brokerage it's cheaper but if I can avoid the hassle of Brokerage etc I will.
Ship USPS to Canada whenever you can.
Brokerage fee is only $10, and duties/taxes are the same no matter who you ship with.

Back