What's new
What's new

French made "keyless drill chuck"

Cyclotronguy

Stainless
My favorite read, McMaster Carr is showing a french made keyless chuck 0-1/2 inch capacity with carbide jaws; threaded 3/8-24 and intended for portiable tool use

The typical battery drill has a keyless chuck that is pretty much worthless. Does anyone have any history with the chuck Mcmaster is offering? Any clue as to the maker of said "French Chuck"? Mcmaster part number 2848A61

Back around 2005 when Jacobs shut down their manufacturing in the USA and moved to China, I figured I'd find a replacement for the 14N Jacobs chuck I'd been buying.
I started buying LFA chucks and continued until last year. They said Made in france on the boxes or the chuck, but last year that changed. No Made in France anywhere and the chucks LOOKED and felt different. I've purchased well over a hundred of the same chucks over the years, as I supply them with a VersaMil set to the Navy. So I bought ten made in China Jacobs 14N's this last year. At least THIS year the chuck keys work in most of the chucks, but they still don't engage correctly.

Thanks to the link in the above post- it's time to check out Llambrich- they also make a ball bearing chuck.

I am very happy with this Rohm, probably make it in 3/8 as well. All metal and great improvement of the stock Milwaukee chuck. Found mine on Amazon 40 bucks.

Keyless Drill Chuck Extra80-RV13, Röhm 1328310, 1/2"-20 Mount, 1/16"-1/2" Capacity with Retaining Ring, Trough-Hole, Metal

From my experience I think the Jacobs chuck took a dive in the early 1990s. At that point in time I started purchasing the LFA chucks and was extremely satisfied with the quality of their products. In 2005 purchased a large batch (maybe a dozen)of LFA chucks hoping that this inventory would last my lifetime, and I have not purchased any since. If I needed to purchase a new drill chuck now I would probably look at LFA or Rohm. Also, I have never been satisfied with any keyless chuck I have used.

Guessing LFA, but I’ll bet if you get McMaster on the phone and ask if it’s LFA that they’ll simply tell you.
Bought a keyless LFA 6 or so years ago from the local machinery dealer because we tooling a Bridgeport and the employer liked the savings over an Albrecht. It was ok, but had a hard time holding on to less than perfect shanks unless you really helped it at the start. Bothered me that it wasn’t nearly as smooth as my Albrecht, but nobody else seemed to mind.

Back