What's new
What's new

FS Depth Mike Groove Checking Rod

guythatbrews

Titanium
Never been used. 9/32 x 40 threaded nut. 5/32 rod. This will check 0-6" with a Starrett 445 depth mike. Will fit anything with same thread and rod size. Disc .250 dia x .025 thick. New about $100 plus shipping. $50 shipped paypal, venmo, or check.

20230327_130918.jpg

It is a 3 piece unit. One piece screws on to the back of your depth mic in place of the original cap (base). That piece has a collet machined on the end opposite the depth mic. The other knurled piece is the collet closer (cap). The cap is tightened by hand to capture the rod in any position necessary. There is virtually no movement of the rod when the cap is tightened, so its easy to set using whatever method is appropriate.

Here us s picture of the collet nut and the cap nut.
20230328_125459.jpg
And here the assembly.
20230328_125610.jpg
It's really handy for checking the distance of a back bore or a groove from the face. Those special groove mics are better but they don't have the range, are $$$, and I've never had any.:D

This is sold!

The Starrett 260Z is the $$$ groove mike I was talking about. It's way more sexy than this depth rod. And the depth rod is 0-6" range.

I have 0-1 and 1-2 Mitutoyo groove mics, but I can see places where this would be irreplaceable because you can use the base of the depth mic, plus the longer range.

This is sold!

The Starrett 260Z is the $$$ groove mike I was talking about. It's way more sexy than this depth rod. And the depth rod is 0-6" range.
The anvils on the Starrett are carbide and are very fragile. I've seen a few were the carbide was broken on one or both anvils, you need a really light touch to use it. The advantage of the tool you sold is that you have that wide base to make it solid when you measure.
Is this a Starrett made tool?

The anvils on the Starrett are carbide and are very fragile. I've seen a few were the carbide was broken on one or both anvils, you need a really light touch to use it. The advantage of the tool you sold is that you have that wide base to make it solid when you measure.
Is this a Starrett made tool?
I didn't know the anvils were carbide. They would be fragile.

This isn't starrett. MSC has them for different brands.

Not to flog a dead horse here but do you just slide the rod into the micrometer and then 0 it out on a gauge block for lengths beyond 1"? First time seeing one of these as well.

Received it today. Very well packaged and exactly as described. Thank you Guy!

BTW, the rod fits Starrett, B&S and Precision brand Depth mics. The threads also fit my small Scherr-Tumico but the passage for the rod is too small on that one.

Not to flog a dead horse here but do you just slide the rod into the micrometer and then 0 it out on a gauge block for lengths beyond 1"? First time seeing one of these as well.
Even though sold, very worthwhile acquiring. All the benefits described above, plus you can set any 0 you'd like, by any appropriate means. Dynamite sorting of recesses by tolerance range, versus a drawn dimension; or starting from an unknown as well.

Back