What's new

FS: Nichols #8 tool room horizontal milling machine, $200

crrmeyer

Stainless
FS: Nichols #8 tool room horizontal milling machine, $200
  • NMTB40 taper
  • Has lever and hand wheel feed on the X axis
  • Probably Intermediate speed version since it has spindle oil cups
  • Has Z motion on the table as well as the head (nice for mitering tubing)
  • ~1100lb weight
  • Includes the original on/off switch. On/Off push buttons and AC overload contactors for a 3 phase motor
  • Includes overarm and arbor support. Arbor support has an Oilite? Bearing and is ~0.72” dia.
  • Includes NMTB40 collet tool holder with 7/8 + 3/8 nested collets
  • Does not include DC motor/controls, original motor pulley or belt guard.
  • Does not have a coolant tank
  • The current motor pulley (single V) and pulley will be included
I picked this up about 15 years back and adapted a DC motor to it. I used it exclusively with a 2” shell mill for squaring up blocks of metal to the needed size. The mill hogs aluminum beautifully. But I am not doing those type of projects much anymore. So it is looking for a new home.

Runs nice. Table has some slop in the X axis so the X gib needs to be skim cut. But it works nicely in spite of the slop.

The Nichols is mounting to a steel tubing frame as shown in one of the photos so it can be easily moved with a narrow pallet jack. It also has a lifting eye on top for lifting. When I moved it originally, I rented an engine hoist to lift it up and then backed a UHAUL trailer under it for transport.

The mill originally came to me without a motor. But an aluminum block for motor mounting and pulley tensioning was included. I converted the mill to DC motor drive. But I need to use the DC motor for another project so I am selling it without a motor. These days I would find a used 3 phase AC motor and get variable speed using a variable frequency drive with single phase power input.

It does not have a pulley guard. But a drawing of one to make yourself (highly recommended) is on vintagemachinery.org

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=21680

Here is a link to the manual

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3553

I did also purchased later an original Nichols overarm assembly and a Nichols arbor as shown in the photos. If you buy the mill, you have the option of buying this for what I payed ($150). However, the original Nichols arbor uses a smaller thread than the shop made drawbar included. So you would need to make a new one out of threaded rod and nut.

Sorry, no shipping. Pickup only in Santa Barbara County, California. I have a pallet jack to move it.

Attachments

• IMG_0774 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0774 - Copy.JPG
    356.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0775 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0775 - Copy.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    483.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0781 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0781 - Copy.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0783 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0783 - Copy.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0784 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0784 - Copy.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    502 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    533 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    556.5 KB · Views: 86
I've been looking for a small mill.
This one is like the pretty girl who lives too far away: "Geographically Undesirable"
All of the Nichols mills I have seen had hand feeds, but this one has cranks.

Steve

All of the Nichols mills I have seen had hand feeds, but this one has cranks.
Buyer should confirm that it also has the X-axis half-nut. Mine came (used) with X-axis crank and screw, but the half-nut had gone missing years before. It is not hard to make a replacement half-nut, especially if you start with a Roton bronze nut, but should know going in.

Buyer should confirm that it also has the X-axis half-nut. Mine came (used) with X-axis crank and screw, but the half-nut had gone missing years before. It is not hard to make a replacement half-nut, especially if you start with a Roton bronze nut, but should know going in.
Pic 6 shows the nut. Not hard to make out of durabar.

Irony is I once offered you the extra motor I got from a Nichols I bought/stripped at auction. Should fit right on the mount. My plan if I get it is to leave on Nichols with the vertical head, and the other as horizontal. New shop is 30x40 with a 8x8 Bathroom, Check out that rotary parts washer, have always dreamed of having something like that...found one at auction for $200. 2nd pic shows my lake side, but I have a few of lower lake also. The foundation is for the log home I've been building. I need to get the shell cleaned up and moved soon, but have at least 4 loads with my flatbed to get my machines up there. I bought a used phase perfect for the shop for the 3-phase.

Alan

IMG_7809.JPG
IMG_7808.JPG

Last edited:
Ok guys, you snooze, you lose...but Nichols mills are like real estate...Location, location, location...it's all about location!;)

Funny, I have a set of casters that I wanted to put on my older non-toolroom model, much like @sfriedberg uses on his mill. Charles is keeping the DC motor on it. I'm gonna use my extra motor, which is an intermediate and he believes this is an Intermediate machine. This one is on square tube that was fab'd to be able to use a pallet jack.

He also has the overarm and arbor for sale, if any of you watchers need one. I will most likely put my vertical head on this mill and use my previous one in horizontal. These Nichols mills are a beast with the vertical head...very stout machine. That last pic is a collet chuck that I had given to Charles about 10 years ago, him and his son stopped by my current shop.

I will say, even the non-toolroom model works really well to broach. I recently got a great deal on a slotting head for my Deckel, but I have used my Nichols to broach with, the head dovetails make the Nichols very useful for that.(y) It will live with my other Nichols and a Heavy 10, from '58 with toggle clutch, hardened bed, toolroom model. Originally sold as both Imperial and metric, has the transposition gears and charts for both on the lathe.

Back