What's new
What's new

FS - Swiss Pearwood - Wide planks 2-3/4" thick

richard newman

Titanium
A long shot here, but just in case anyone is interested....

Steamed swiss pearwood - 6 planks, 68" long, 16"-24" wide, x 2-3/4 thick, all from one huge log. Imported from Switzerland, have had it since 1984, always stored in a heated space. Moving to a much smaller shop, have to divest.

Mostly rift and quartersawn, really nice figure and color, great to carve and work with hand tools Please note the planks have a healthy twist, and won't work well for slab table tops. The widest boards are split up the middle, but the quartered & rift material on either side has the best figure. If anyone is seriously interested I have photos of each board, both faces.

Price is $1150 for the entire log, about $10/bd ft

Just to make this machinist relevant, I got this stuff from a huge company, Syroco, that made cheap molded plastic furniture. They had a line of faux antique decorative stuff, and the original patterns were carved by a crew of very skilled Italian carvers who insisted on working with swiss pearwood. So they imported a container load from Switzerland, over 10,000 bd ft! I don't know how they got from hand carved wood masters to steel molds... or I've forgotten. Anyway, I was able to convince them to sell me some flitches. I made number of high end furniture pieces from this stuff in the 80's & 90'S, was one of my favorite materials. Sad to see it go...

Attachments

•    Log A.jpg
    Log A.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 93
  •  A end.jpg
    A end.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 95
  •  A fig.jpg
    A fig.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 94
  • A4a.jpg
    A4a.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Umbrella Stand.jpg
    Umbrella Stand.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 95
It's labeled European, dunno if its swiss or from somewhere else. It's Pyrus communis. My local lumberyard carries it, usually much narrower boards than what you've got though.

Wish I had a "local lumber yard" like yours! I've always wanted to visit Hearne, I love looking at cool wood.

Sadly my buying days are pretty much over, have to sell most of my stash in the next few years.

Not very local to me, but right on the way to my wife's brother's home, is L. L. Johnson Lumber Mfg. Co. in Charlotte, MI. I have stopped there to admire their hardwood from around the world and the excellent selection of tools and machines. I even bought a few cool chunks of wood. Lignum vitae makes beautiful tool handles. Founded in 1909 with a portable sawmill to cut local hardwood and now owned by the fourth generation of Johnsons, their store (and story) is amazing.

Larry

A long shot here, but just in case anyone is interested....

Steamed swiss pearwood - 6 planks, 68" long, 16"-24" wide, x 2-3/4 thick, all from one huge log. Imported from Switzerland, have had it since 1984, always stored in a heated space. Moving to a much smaller shop, have to divest.

Mostly rift and quartersawn, really nice figure and color, great to carve and work with hand tools Please note the planks have a healthy twist, and won't work well for slab table tops. The widest boards are split up the middle, but the quartered & rift material on either side has the best figure. If anyone is seriously interested I have photos of each board, both faces.

Price is $1150 for the entire log, about $10/bd ft

Just to make this machinist relevant, I got this stuff from a huge company, Syroco, that made cheap molded plastic furniture. They had a line of faux antique decorative stuff, and the original patterns were carved by a crew of very skilled Italian carvers who insisted on working with swiss pearwood. So they imported a container load from Switzerland, over 10,000 bd ft! I don't know how they got from hand carved wood masters to steel molds... or I've forgotten. Anyway, I was able to convince them to sell me some flitches. I made number of high end furniture pieces from this stuff in the 80's & 90'S, was one of my favorite materials. Sad to see it go...
Hello Richard, have you sold this Pearwood yet? I am interested, where abouts is the wood in the U.S.?

Back