What's new
What's new

FUS-22 maintenance (Deckel FP1 style clone)

hudbrog

Plastic
Hey everyone!

Recently, I've bought my first real milling machine, an 1986 ORADEA FUS-22. Overall, it's in a working condition, but when turned on to higher RPM is very loud and seems to be leaking oil. Well, and vertical milling head is from Heckert FUW 250 installed with an adapter plate, it had a bit of play (around 0.03mm) in the spindle when pushed by hand.

I've decided to take it apart for general inspection and to actually figure out how everything works. While doing so I've got a million questions, so if nobody minds I would post them here as I go, maybe somebody would be able to help me. So far, I've been meditating a lot on oiling subsystem )

Here's the machine as arrived(with table taken off for now):

photo_2021-10-25_09-15-15.jpg

First, I'll start with a simple one.

1) For some reason, vertical milling head is packed with grease. Manual for it says it should use hydraulic oil (HLP36), and it obviously equipped for it (level viewing window, intake hole). I have a feeling that it is not a good practice and grease will just get thrown away leading to gears having to work dry, am I wrong? Should I clean up the grease and replace with oil?

(no subject) - hudbrog@gmail.com - Gmail - Google .jpg

2) The way gears are mounted.

All gears in the horizontal spindle can move by around 1mm along the axle.
IMG_5251.jpg.58db0c05e0b6e6ef35372c28807bc1a7.jpg
DjVuReader 2021-11-04 13.49.11.jpg

For example this one has both rotational play (most likely key or key slot are a bit worn) and can move forward and backward by around 1mm. What concerns me is that it doesn't look like it was supposed to be fixed in place rigidly. There is a set screw with a lock nut on it, which leads me to thinking that set screw was not supposed to be tight against the axle. Also, I can see that there is a groove underneath the gear into which that set screw would go.
Same seems to be true about other gears. Main drive gear (long one) can move along the axis a bit, the one that would drive vertical milling head as well. Should I leave it as is or make it, well, more rigid?

3) Horizontal bearing oiling

DjVuReader 2021-11-05 17.13.28.jpg

There are two grease nipples on the horizontal spindle, they seem to be going into the bearing groups. For some reason, on the oiling scheme they are:
* on the wrong side of the machine
* not marked at all, although drawn

I wasn't able to find a channel that would lead oil from the main spindle cavity into the bearing groups, so my guess is that bearings should be lubricated separately. My question would be what to use for that lubrication? These holes were packed with thick grease that looked like it was new, but I don't understand how would it get into the bearing, it would just stay in the channel forever (one of the channels was also blocked with a bit of casting size of a pea). Maybe it should be oil? Or just push grease into there until it fills bearings full?

4) I honestly don't get the whole oiling scheme. I do understand that oil will get up on the gears and will get splashed around in the horizontal spindle cavity, but from there I only found two channels that lead onto dovetails(and again, one of the channels was blocked, looked like it was painted over), I don't understand where would the oil go from the dovetails. Or, maybe, why wouldn't it go to the outside of the machine instead of inside of it. I've reached attachment limit of that post, so can't show pictures for now )

Since this is a Deckel clone, I suggest you post in the Deckel forum:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/deckel-maho-aciera-abene-mills/

Deckel machines typically have all of the ways and most of the bearings lubricated with oil, but since this is done via nipples, many people unknowingly inject grease into the oil passages. Fixing that involves a teardown to remove grease from the internal oil passages and wicking.

I'm going to ask Franz and Stefan to answer this as they are very familiar with these machines. To the members Stefan and Franz are professional rebuilders in Austria. I just emailed them to come and comment. I know they quit because of one troublesome member. Charles our moderator has resolved the troublesome member.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
DI(FH) Stefan Lüftinger

MASCHRATUR OG
+43 (0) 660 1213199
Gschwandterstr. 14
4663 Laakirchen
UID Nr.: AT U66941125

I'm going to ask Franz and Stefan to answer this as they are very familiar with these machines.

Thanks, appreciate it!

Meanwhile a new batch of questions, this time about spindle ) A bit of disclaimer. This is my first machine and I have no prior experience working with, well, classic machinery. I've built a bunch of cncs/3d printers/other contraptions, but these are mostly like construction toys, you just assemble them from ready made parts. My knowledge of machinery is somewhere between none and rudimentary, so my questions and assumptions might be plain stupid, in which case just tell me.

1) IMG_5298.jpg

DjVuReader 2021-11-06 09.03.30.jpg

There is this ring in the top of the spindle assembly, I assume that it could be used to adjust gear meshing. Right now spindle can be turned by couple degress without affecting the input shaft, is that ok, or should I adjust them to mesh closer? How do I measure the amount? Is there some kind of formula?

Also, on the same photo above a cutout is seen which exposes the ring. What's the purpose of it? Same question for a kurnly thing, mine did not have it, but I'm guess there is a reason for it as well :) Looking on the image - it seems a bolt could push on the gear/bearing assembly, but I don't understand why. It's already pushed down and held by the top cover, no?

2) IMG_5304.jpg
DjVuReader 2021-11-06 09.34.19.jpg

So, original reason why I disassembled this spindle (well, except wanting to figure out how it works) was some play it had. As far as I understand this play is taken out by pushing roller bearing further down on the taper, which makes it expand and take out this play. I would think that below it there is something called 'limiter thingy' that can be machined down to adjust how low the bearing could go. But looking at the drawing - I don't understand how it could go lower, cause thrust bearing sits on a step, so there is not way it would go any lower. Also, thrust bearing 'tight' has interferance fit with the spingle. Overall, I do have a spare roller bearing and could just replace it, but would be nice to understand how it's supposed to work )

Attachments

• IMG_5278.jpg
    IMG_5278.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 18

Back