What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 & Fagor 8055 M

This is a snip of the first few lines of code..

Steve
Steve,

I've tried to attach the post file but can not for some reason. So, in a browser, go the Autodesk Post Library and under the any vendor tab choose Fagor. You'll get three options for lathe, mill and wire. Choose the one for mill and download. Use that file to post your code and see if you still get the M6 showing up.

Fred

Steve,

I've tried to attach the post file but can not for some reason. So, in a browser, go the Autodesk Post Library and under the any vendor tab choose Fagor. You'll get three options for lathe, mill and wire. Choose the one for mill and download. Use that file to post your code and see if you still get the M6 showing up.

Fred
Steve,

One other thing. When you mark your tools as 'Manal Tool Change' in the tool description, make sure you do it for the tool in the actual operation (right click on operation, click Edit tool, go the Post Process tab and make sure Manual Tool Change is checked off. I'm not 100% sure, but once an operation is setup and a tool copied into it; changing options for the same tool in the tool library may not automatically update a tool that has already been selected for an operation. Just trying to think of all the possibilities for what might be happening.

Fred

Good morning Fred,

I grabbed the post as you described. I see that I had done so with the same file last month, but did it again anyway and gave it a new name. I posted out the cut file and I Have again attached a snip of some of it. As you can see, the N30 M6 is now "Manual Tool Change" as you expected. I am hopeful that this will now work.

Thanks for your continued effort.

Steve

P.S. I did check to see that the tools in the library and the cut file have the Manual box checked. BTW, the Fagor tech sent a note indicating that the message that I am getting on the control "Arm is not on Reference" is a custom message by the machine builder, so we shall see how this comes together later today.

Good morning Fred,

I grabbed the post as you described. I see that I had done so with the same file last month, but did it again anyway and gave it a new name. I posted out the cut file and I Have again attached a snip of some of it. As you can see, the N30 M6 is now "Manual Tool Change" as you expected. I am hopeful that this will now work.

Thanks for your continued effort.

Steve

P.S. I did check to see that the tools in the library and the cut file have the Manual box checked. BTW, the Fagor tech sent a note indicating that the message that I am getting on the control "Arm is not on Reference" is a custom message by the machine builder, so we shall see how this comes together later today.
Hi Fred,

After a lot of trial and error, I am still not able to get the file to run. I no longer get the M6 message at the control, but when I hit cycle start, nothing at all happens with the feed rate up. Interesting that with the prior post, the machine moved into position prior to the M6 message which leads me to believe something in the header is different. I am going to check that now.

Anyway, just letting you know and thanks again for all of the effort thus far.

Happy Holidays to you and all of you Forum folks.

Steve

Hi Fred,

After a lot of trial and error, I am still not able to get the file to run. I no longer get the M6 message at the control, but when I hit cycle start, nothing at all happens with the feed rate up. Interesting that with the prior post, the machine moved into position prior to the M6 message which leads me to believe something in the header is different. I am going to check that now.

Anyway, just letting you know and thanks again for all of the effort thus far.

Happy Holidays to you and all of you Forum folks.

Steve
Steve,

When you have a chance can you post another snippet of code from your current program - first 10-15 lines of so. And, if possible, post the first 10 lines or so of one of the probe programs that you mentioned ran from the start. Thanks.

Fred

Steve,

When you have a chance can you post another snippet of code from your current program - first 10-15 lines of so. And, if possible, post the first 10 lines or so of one of the probe programs that you mentioned ran from the start. Thanks.

Fred
Steve,

One other item....when you hit cycle start you say nothing happens. What happens if you hit cycle start a second time? I noticed in the posted code that, with Manual Tool Change, the post puts out an M0 just before the tool change message. M0 is machine stop - it's a safety issue with manual tool changes; the machine is commanded to stop completely (unlike M1, optional stop, which requires that a switch be set so machine will honor the M1 code).
What I noticed is that you may already have the first tool loaded in the machine prior to hitting cycle start, but the code still has an M0 prior to starting the spindle and cutting with the tool.

Fred

Steve,

One other item....when you hit cycle start you say nothing happens. What happens if you hit cycle start a second time? I noticed in the posted code that, with Manual Tool Change, the post puts out an M0 just before the tool change message. M0 is machine stop - it's a safety issue with manual tool changes; the machine is commanded to stop completely (unlike M1, optional stop, which requires that a switch be set so machine will honor the M1 code).
What I noticed is that you may already have the first tool loaded in the machine prior to hitting cycle start, but the code still has an M0 prior to starting the spindle and cutting with the tool.

Fred
Hi Fred,

I have attached the two post snippets. I don't recall if I tried to hit cycle start twice, but I will definitely give that a try. I see the M0 that you are referring to.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• Fagor Manual Post.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Fagor Tool Changer Post.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi Fred,

I have attached the two post snippets. I don't recall if I tried to hit cycle start twice, but I will definitely give that a try. I see the M0 that you are referring to.

Thanks,

Steve
Fred,

I realized that I misread your request. I have now attached one of the probing programs.

Steve

Attachments

• Fagor Material - Part X-Y Probe Post.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 1
Hi Fred,

Great news, you were right, the M0 was the blockage with the program start. When I hit cycle start a second time, Voila.. Thu far, I have only ran the entire program above the material, but everything seemed to cycle correctly. I do see two issues. I am not getting a tool change call even though I see it in the code each time there is a change needed. Instead, the machine just dwells until I push cycle start again.

Unrelated to that, I visually see a rigid tapping issue which may be a control parameter setting, but I am not sure. At 500 rpm with proposed 10/32 and 1/4/28 taps, it appears that the spindle doesn't stop quickly and reverse, but rather it coasts to where I believe the tap would break, then it retracts without rotation and then reverses which is an obvious issue.

Thanks so much for getting me moving in a positive direction. I have attached the tapping cycles just in case you can offer a suggestion.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• Fagor Tapping Post.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 3
Fred,

I do see M6 in the code. I will attach the post shortly so you can take a peek if you like.

Thanks,

Steve
Good afternoon Fred,

I hope that you had Great holiday so far. I wanted to let you know that had a few rounds with an Autodesk tech and he made some mods to the PP, but in the end it is no different. What I see is that I can run the entire part program with 11 tools, (assuming I can get enough Z to change them) as long as I don't jog the machine. I can push cycle start and the machine will continue with the next tool's code to the end without a problem.

Obviously there is something missing from the PP. I see the attached in the manual. COuld this have something to do with it.

As always, thanks for your help.

Steve

Attachments

• CNC 8055 - Operating manual (MC option) - man_8055mc_opt.pdf
    112.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi Fred,

Great news, you were right, the M0 was the blockage with the program start. When I hit cycle start a second time, Voila.. Thu far, I have only ran the entire program above the material, but everything seemed to cycle correctly. I do see two issues. I am not getting a tool change call even though I see it in the code each time there is a change needed. Instead, the machine just dwells until I push cycle start again.

Unrelated to that, I visually see a rigid tapping issue which may be a control parameter setting, but I am not sure. At 500 rpm with proposed 10/32 and 1/4/28 taps, it appears that the spindle doesn't stop quickly and reverse, but rather it coasts to where I believe the tap would break, then it retracts without rotation and then reverses which is an obvious issue.

Thanks so much for getting me moving in a positive direction. I have attached the tapping cycles just in case you can offer a suggestion.

Thanks,

Steve
Hi Steve,

As far as the tapping cycle is concerned, I need to read a bit more in the Fagor manual. It appears that some parameters need to be set in order for the cycle to preform a 'rigid tap' cycle. One thing I noticed is that the R value in your cycle calls is set to 0. I think it needs to be a 1 (I believe you can set the rigid tap mode just before posting by changing the parameter in the posting dialog.).

As far as the tool change cycle is concerned, once again it appears that values need to be stored in some machine parameters and those parameters need to be called to move the machine to a tool change position and then return it to the next commanded position is the program. It seems as though the Fagor places a lot of parameters in macro variables to be called by subroutines to handle various tasks. Think I need to read a bit more about this and will get back to you soon as possible (unless someone on the forum here who speaks fluent 'fagor' can comment on what is going on).

Fred

Hi Steve,

As far as the tapping cycle is concerned, I need to read a bit more in the Fagor manual. It appears that some parameters need to be set in order for the cycle to preform a 'rigid tap' cycle. One thing I noticed is that the R value in your cycle calls is set to 0. I think it needs to be a 1 (I believe you can set the rigid tap mode just before posting by changing the parameter in the posting dialog.).

As far as the tool change cycle is concerned, once again it appears that values need to be stored in some machine parameters and those parameters need to be called to move the machine to a tool change position and then return it to the next commanded position is the program. It seems as though the Fagor places a lot of parameters in macro variables to be called by subroutines to handle various tasks. Think I need to read a bit more about this and will get back to you soon as possible (unless someone on the forum here who speaks fluent 'fagor' can comment on what is going on).

Fred
Hi Fred,

As for the tapping cycle, I did some research and it revealed that there are several options for the R that you referenced. R1 is in fact rigid tapping. I tried changing the setting in Fusion during posting, but when I tried to run the code, it wouldn't accept it. Once again, maybe a parameter setting.

The bigger issue at the moment is the PP, or possibly a setting, or lastly, maybe I didn't do something correctly during the tool set up. What I discovered is that the entire part can be ran by cycling the start button at the completion of a given tool's task. If I can Z up enough and change the tool (without changing the tool from T1 to T2 on the controller as an example. The next sequence in the code for the subsequent too will run properly, but the control still shows T1 even if I am on T8. Again, maybe I set up the tool incorrectly??

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Fred,

As for the tapping cycle, I did some research and it revealed that there are several options for the R that you referenced. R1 is in fact rigid tapping. I tried changing the setting in Fusion during posting, but when I tried to run the code, it wouldn't accept it. Once again, maybe a parameter setting.

The bigger issue at the moment is the PP, or possibly a setting, or lastly, maybe I didn't do something correctly during the tool set up. What I discovered is that the entire part can be ran by cycling the start button at the completion of a given tool's task. If I can Z up enough and change the tool (without changing the tool from T1 to T2 on the controller as an example. The next sequence in the code for the subsequent too will run properly, but the control still shows T1 even if I am on T8. Again, maybe I set up the tool incorrectly??

Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

Leaving the tapping issues for later, let's concentrate on the tool change issues. I've included some pages from an 8055 manual (which you may very well have already) describing how the controller handles a tool change. It seems that every time a tool change takes place (auto or manual) the control executes a special subroutine which takes in the new tool number and then refreshes the controller with the new number, change position, etc. I get the impression that once the machine stops for a tool change, you need to hit the 'T' key and enter the new tool number; then hit start to have the information transferred to the control to update the tool display. Then, you hit start again to have the machine begin a new operation with the new tool.

First thing I would do is check the machine parameters to see if the tool change subroutine is registered in the control. If so, then proceed (carefully!) as above to see if the tool info updates and the machine executes the next operation correctly. I confess this is foreign territory for me - it appears that Fagor makes many functions available through subroutines such that both the machine tool builder and the end user can modify various aspects of the subroutine - in all the cncs I've used these sorts of functions are hidden in the control logic and any changes involve editing various parameters buried in the controller.

RE: the tapping cycle. Before going any further, please make note of a remark about the 'J' parameter in the discussion of the G84 tapping cycle. In the description if mentions that the machine must be equipped with closed loop servo, etc. in order to execute a rigid tap cycle. Can you check your documentation to make sure this is the case?

Fred

Attachments

• 8055 Tool Control.pdf
    381.6 KB · Views: 1
Steve,

Leaving the tapping issues for later, let's concentrate on the tool change issues. I've included some pages from an 8055 manual (which you may very well have already) describing how the controller handles a tool change. It seems that every time a tool change takes place (auto or manual) the control executes a special subroutine which takes in the new tool number and then refreshes the controller with the new number, change position, etc. I get the impression that once the machine stops for a tool change, you need to hit the 'T' key and enter the new tool number; then hit start to have the information transferred to the control to update the tool display. Then, you hit start again to have the machine begin a new operation with the new tool.

First thing I would do is check the machine parameters to see if the tool change subroutine is registered in the control. If so, then proceed (carefully!) as above to see if the tool info updates and the machine executes the next operation correctly. I confess this is foreign territory for me - it appears that Fagor makes many functions available through subroutines such that both the machine tool builder and the end user can modify various aspects of the subroutine - in all the cncs I've used these sorts of functions are hidden in the control logic and any changes involve editing various parameters buried in the controller.

RE: the tapping cycle. Before going any further, please make note of a remark about the 'J' parameter in the discussion of the G84 tapping cycle. In the description if mentions that the machine must be equipped with closed loop servo, etc. in order to execute a rigid tap cycle. Can you check your documentation to make sure this is the case?

Fred
Hi Fred,

Thanks so much for the efforts here. I have been buried in the manual and digested this same information late yesterday. I sent info to the folks at Autodesk in hopes that they could help to modify the PP. I did get something back this morning, but it wouldn't load correctly. I made a couple of changes myself and it loads, but still has a controller error which reveals incorrect programming. I did get a call back from someone that I know at Fagor. I sent him the PP and my part file in hopes that he can push it up the ladder and get the post fixed. I had previously checked the machine parameters and confirmed that SUB 55 (P60) is there. As for manually selecting T2 as an example after T1 has completed the cycle, I get a page on screen that is for changing x,y,orx offsets. I continue to play with changes.

Thanks again,

Steve

Hi Fred,

Thanks so much for the efforts here. I have been buried in the manual and digested this same information late yesterday. I sent info to the folks at Autodesk in hopes that they could help to modify the PP. I did get something back this morning, but it wouldn't load correctly. I made a couple of changes myself and it loads, but still has a controller error which reveals incorrect programming. I did get a call back from someone that I know at Fagor. I sent him the PP and my part file in hopes that he can push it up the ladder and get the post fixed. I had previously checked the machine parameters and confirmed that SUB 55 (P60) is there. As for manually selecting T2 as an example after T1 has completed the cycle, I get a page on screen that is for changing x,y,orx offsets. I continue to play with changes.

Thanks again,

Steve
Forgot to attach this..

Attachments

• P60 SUB.jpg
    P60 SUB.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 4
I guess I didn’t see the forest for the trees. I will try again. If nothing else I am learning. Thanks.

I wish I could say that change resolved things, but not the case. At least it is set correctly now.
Update! The change from 56 to 55 for the SUB not only didn’t resolve anything, but apparently 56 is correct even though the manual states 55 regardless of ATC or Manual. Not the case, with it set to 55, it presents the prior message. “Arm not on reference” and I can’t run even the simplest G-Code and completely locked up. I am hoping to connect with a different tech Gent with Fagor in the am. More to come……

Every new convenience is a project.

Back