What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 for turning...has it improved at all?

My attitude is one of fact. It's pretty surprising that now at least two of you have condoned the kind of verbiage and presentation I referenced. If you don't think this falls short of professionalism (thought that was one the things this board touted) then there is not much else to say.

Standing pat,

Doug

LOL! if words like crap and duff are making you squirm... just wait till you go into any political thread, hahaha.
you're dealing with people here, ones that have emotions and frustrations sometimes. they gotta have an outlet somewhere, bottling everything up inside is how psychos are made :)

LOL! if words like crap and duff are making you squirm... just wait till you go into any political thread, hahaha.
you're dealing with people here, ones that have emotions and frustrations sometimes. they gotta have an outlet somewhere, bottling everything up inside is how psychos are made :)

Wow, we're actually dealing with people - who knew???

Doug

Hi Dtapster:
I re-read my post after you offered your critique of it, and I'm having a hard time feeling guilty about it's tone.
Yeah, it was a bit colourful...I'm an old, retired guy, and I tend to do that now, especially since I do try to write entertainingly as well as informatively.

I never, in a million years, expected anyone in this crowd to be so thin skinned as to take offence.
If I have made you squirm, my apologies...you were not the target, and I regret having made you uncomfortable.

Sadly, I doubt if I will be able to restrain myself next time...it's kinda fun and soooo liberating to mock the CADCAM software vending world, especially those that do unkind things to us in the name of shameless profiteering (AutoDesk is a personal favourite).

So if this really does offend you, there is an "IGNORE" function on PM...I don't know how to set it up because I'm a bit harder to discompose than you appear to be, but I am sure someone will help you out if you ask.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Hi Dtapster:
I re-read my post after you offered your critique of it, and I'm having a hard time feeling guilty about it's tone.
Yeah, it was a bit colourful...I'm an old, retired guy, and I tend to do that now, especially since I do try to write entertainingly as well as informatively.

I never, in a million years, expected anyone in this crowd to be so thin skinned as to take offence.
If I have made you squirm, my apologies...you were not the target, and I regret having made you uncomfortable.

Sadly, I doubt if I will be able to restrain myself next time...it's kinda fun and soooo liberating to mock the CADCAM software vending world, especially those that do unkind things to us in the name of shameless profiteering (AutoDesk is a personal favourite).

So if this really does offend you, there is an "IGNORE" function on PM...I don't know how to set it up because I'm a bit harder to discompose than you appear to be, but I am sure someone will help you out if you ask.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

/slow clap
well done sir

Is this what passes for professional representation of company online up in Canada???

Doug

Hey Doug,

Can you please link us all to a place where we can see your portfolio of high-complexity parts with micro-scale features, out of difficult materials to medical-implant grade standards? You know, work on par with what Marcus has been spitting out his entire career?

Given your post history which basically consists of asking which hobby-schlock piece of CAD software to buy, I'm guessing the answer is no. Your plan was just to walk into a forum where most of us have known each other for decades and shit on one of our more respected members?

What exactly is the plan here? You feel like a big guy? You think we respect you at all, and wish to help you?

My attitude is one of fact. It's pretty surprising that now at least two of you have condoned the kind of verbiage and presentation I referenced. If you don't think this falls short of professionalism (thought that was one the things this board touted) then there is not much else to say.

Standing pat,

Doug

You haven't met Donie yet have you?
You're going to love him....

Wow, some hobbiest with absolutely zero knowledge or skills (based on his own admissions in other posts) comes on here and bashes a highly skilled, well respected member for using very mild course language. This might not be the right forum for him :)

Autodesk= Autodicks: this is a well known fact that even Autodesk would acknowledge.

Mastercam= Mastercrap: yes, also true. Hard not to feel that way when you spend $16k plus $5k per year only to call tech support and have them tell you “that’s a known bug, that toolpath doesn’t work… maybe next year”.

To answer the OP, I use F360 daily for programming 2 axis lathes (and Y-axis sub-spindles). It gets the job done. Some minor grievances, but overall I’m satisfied. I also have seats of Mastercam, but prefer F360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Fusion 360 almost daily and while its not without its issues, they have a great forum with great support. If you post an issue you'll usually have an answer in short order.
Our biggest issue is with Windows 7 compatibility. Most of the old systems we refurbish or automate are not Windows 10 compatible so we still run 7 on almost all of our computers.

My Only complain with Fusion's turning is that sometimes I don't want a tool to enter a specific groove during roughing, but disabling radial grooving just removes all of them instead of just the one. However after the initial learning curve hump, I've never had a bad experience using it, and other than the funky grooving thing, I've never had an issue with it doing exactly what I want.
The way I can get around that grooving funk is to split the toolpath into 2 paths, one before and one after the specific groove. then Telling fusion to leave the tool at the last toolpath point (retracted from last position) instead of returning to safe position acts as if it's just one toolpath.

It has a lot fewer bugs now compared to what I've seen over the years, I posted some issues I was having on the fusion forums and Autodesk actually fixed them which was neat.

When I get my lathe back up and running I doubt I will have any issues using the turning CAM workspace, when I got used to turning it was actually really fun to use and easier than mill CAM work.

Any other issues were due to me having to find and edit my own post processor since the lathe is from 1988, if you buy a brand new HAAS lathe you should have zero issues.

Marcus, I'm local to you and had a baptism of fire with Fusion last year. Older Okuma lathe, no post available, etc.

Have to say, for not too complicated stuff on a 2 axis lathe, it works ok. Some perplexing methods of defining cutting areas, and non intuitive ways of getting the tool to do what you want, but still better than the milling package.

Word of warning. Expect many many irritating and usually useless updates. Often while trying to get work done. One of my biggest complaints with Fusion is that they are trying to be everything for everybody. So, one guy in Nunavut with a 1956 punch card driven one axis shaper needs a function? Everyone gets it!!!!! And the worst part is that they make it harder and harder to work until finally it crashes and you have to restart. Presto! Shaper magic!
Can't tell you how many times the air has turned blue as I'm racing a deadline and Fusion gets crappier and slower until if crashes. Hate it so much.

Can't tell you how many times the air has turned blue as I'm racing a deadline and Fusion gets crappier and slower until if crashes. Hate it so much.
So why do you use it ? With modern computers for cut and paste roughing and a simple CAD program for finish geometry it is so easy and straightforward to write two-axis lathe programs by hand that I can't imagine why you put up with crap. And the programs are better, too.

Because I'm on a mac. And some of the stuff I do would be a nightmare to code by hand. I've done it in the past, but I would die of old age if I had to do it for the parts I'm making now.

Because I'm on a mac. And some of the stuff I do would be a nightmare to code by hand. I've done it in the past, but I would die of old age if I had to do it for the parts I'm making now.
Parallels and Bobcad 14 DOS. I do hate TextEdit, agree with you there.

Otherwise, sorry, anything any CAM program will do 2 axis lathe-wise I can do faster and better by hand. So could you if you tried.

lol, no kidding. My take is they are juuuuuuust marginally better than PC? Maybe not. However the reality is I am now invested and have been using fusion for a couple years now.

Emanuel, I'm going to check out BobCad again, it's been a while since I looked at it.

Sooo frustrating when the product is moving goalposts.

I sent them a rant a while ago, to the effect of; we are trying to get work done, not learn how to use the software every couple weeks or months.

Back