What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 Tool Library Organization - Ideas and Suggestions Needed

I have a “Standard tools” library for my tools that live in the machine. I divide up pockets for Ferrous and Non Ferrous. Modeled with holders, stickout, and saved parameters. I have another “Tools in inventory” which holds any special tooling or just tools that don't live in the machine.
I like that, thanks for the idea.

I follow Tormach's tool table convention for naming tools in fusion360. Then they look the same on my tool table and in CAM. For feed and speed presets, I follow Sandvik's convention (which is a superset of the ISO standard) for material type nomenclature. Then my inserts and CAM match.

I buy tools with extensive feed and speed data available, and use that as my starting point. Harvey, Mitsubishi, Kyocera, Sumitomo all have good data. Sandvik has books upon books. Even Maritool has great data.

I have a feed and speed slide rule I use for further dialing in.

I have created master library folder, that contain MVP tools and all good cutting strats I have found for specific opeartions and materials. All extras that are not common use live under T49(max tool table in my machine), and edited post to inject TLM macro every time T49(T49 is manual change tools only) is called. Not the best, but works good enough. Since we 99% run ferrous steels of different grades, no real need of keeping separate alu library. But would probably work fine.
I start with datasheet values for procedures, and then tweak them with feed/rpm handles on the machine, then write them down to master library.
Some tool SF are based on for example adaptive slotting slot width, because my 9600 baud rate can not keep up with coordinate consuption on full SF that tool/machine can handle

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    181.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Another addition I to method above, I write MRR to cutting mode description. Allows easier choose right tool for OP. For example I have 4z 16mm SC mill and 2z 16mm indexable cutter. If I can go 1/2 flute length or deeper on SC, it can do more, and leaves better finish afterwards, but if it is shallow pockets under 15mm deep, indexable is like 20% better MRR.

Don't get me wrong I really like Fusion 360, But they keep making changes (I understand the reason) and not always for the better. I think sometimes they have computer people deciding what machinist want , but it seems like they do not have machining back rounds. Sometime simple is the best way. Never the less its a great product.

As Rockwolf mentioned the Ferrous and Non Ferrous libraries, I do this also. I used to like having machine specific libraries but I found that I tended to copy tools over from other machines often and would update speeds and feeds based on the material going into that machine so I kinda abandoned that method.

Material based is cool since a lot of cutters/coatings won't do both.

One thing I love about machining is just how many different ways you can do one thing.

Material based is cool since a lot of cutters/coatings won't do both.

"Workpiece Material Groups" goes beyond ferrous and non-ferrous. As usual, Sandvik has a bunch of information about it: https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-us/knowledge/materials/workpiece-materials

In this context most tools can do many different workpiece material types (which would disagree with your convention), but you're correct in that most won't cross from being very good with both P type and N type (which would agree with your convention). You could, though, have a tool that is good for N and K, with different feeds and speeds for them. Almost all of my 3 flute uncoated end mills have lines for feeds and speeds for N and K.

Here's an example from my tool table. If I remember correctly, the feeds and speeds for this specific tool were pulled from Maritool's provided data. I might have updated the K data for a project. I should update this with stick-out compensation and maybe MRR. Like you said, there's a million ways to this problem.

1700318320796.png

"Workpiece Material Groups" goes beyond ferrous and non-ferrous.
Oh for sure! That was just an example though. If that isn't specific enough then definitely make however many libraries are needed to fill the demand.
After being in the business, working with mostly 304SS, 6061/7075 and lower carbon steels, for 25 years I'm currently the lead programmer in a mold shop and I'm learning just how many different characteristics there are within the broad umbrella of ferrous and non-ferrous. TyraxSS is not even similar enough to 420SS to use the same cutting data for example. Copper and Beryllium Copper are not even close to each other as well on the non-ferrous side.
Like I said, many different ways to do things makes this industry so fascinating.

You can add presets with different parameters to tools so you can have a preset for roughing and one for finishing, or one for aluminum and one for steel, etc.
I have multiple libraries for individual machines with dedicated tooling, and then some extra tools that aren't always used but are also saved as T99 which I update as I add them to a current setup.

It works pretty well, but man is the Fusion360 tool library slow and buggy...
Where is this in Fusion?

Look at the screenshot 2 posts back.
I did look at that, that is why I asked the question. None of that is available in my Fusion, where does it populate from? How do you enter it/alter it/create it? Is this one of the add ons you buy? Or a 3rd party app you buy?

This is all standard Fusion, not an extension or add-on.
Open the tool library, select a tool to edit, open the cutting data tab, click the + icon to "add preset" and start editing your settings.
1700520046683.png

Attachments

• 1700520025074.png
    1700520025074.png
    81 KB · Views: 3
You must be on an advanced preview, or beta version. That doesn't exist on mine.
AFAIK it exists for every type of tool. End mill, turning tool, plasma torch; they all have the option to copy or add presets. That seems like some bare minimum functionality for a CAM system.

It's been there as long as I can remember...
Do you have the freebie version of Fusion?

You must be on an advanced preview, or beta version. That doesn't exist on mine.
Fal Grunt

When you open Fusion you will be in the design workspace. Click on Design, move down the list and click on Manufacture. Once in the manfacturing workspace, look over to the right for the 'Manage' panel of icons. Either click on the tools icon or click the down arrow and chose Tool Library. You may want to start by checking out the Fusion Tool Library. If you click on the library and a message comes up that it isn't activated, just click the activation button and all the tools will be available.

Once you click on any library it will open displaying its various tools. The Fusion libraries can't be edited, but they can be reviewed by clicking on the 'pencil' icon at the top of the tool window.

BTW, if this is old news now, sorry to bother..,,

Fred

PS Forgot to mention. Make sure you go to your name in upper right corner, and click to get to 'Preferences'. Make sure you turn on all the tool options under Manufacture/Options and in the Preview Features/Manufacture previews.

Last edited:

Back