What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 Turning

barratt

Aluminum
Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice on the capabilities of Fusion 360 for turning, the output I require is various flavors of Fanuc.
I tried it 2 or 3 years ago and it couldn't handle canned cycles, mainly G71/G72 so that was a non starter for us.
I'm a long time user of Edgecam but got disgruntled with them for various reasons so I've been using ours in maintenance expired mode for a number of years.
Our usage is mainly just 2 axis, pretty straight forward.
I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys to see if it's worth going through the learning curve and whether it's up to scratch now?

Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice on the capabilities of Fusion 360 for turning, the output I require is various flavors of Fanuc.
I tried it 2 or 3 years ago and it couldn't handle canned cycles, mainly G71/G72 so that was a non starter for us.
I'm a long time user of Edgecam but got disgruntled with them for various reasons so I've been using ours in maintenance expired mode for a number of years.
I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys to see if it's worth going through the learning curve and whether it's up to scratch now?
Why use CAM only to saddle yourself with canned cycles? You lose all the good stuff that CAM can offer.

Fusion turning is a work in progress. It works, mostly.

Hi all,
barratt,
Fusion has cycles for its Roughing Profile....but can't fold in the few lines needed to include the finish pass. So, we program our rough profiles with a cycle and add a single finish profile pass - few more lines of code, but not much.
We had to wait on cycles being added as well...our older Okuma lathes have very little memory, so cycles were a must.
Fred

Cant speak for canned roughing cycles because...it's CAM?
But as far as programming goes it's alright. They have supposedly done a lot of updates to lathe CAM over the past year, but I can't actually pick anything specifically thats been improved. My biggest gripes with actual turning functionality are lack of X approach/retract positions and that you can't control how much overlap there is between roughing passes.

Typical of Fusion, its biggest drawback is the continuous onslaught of mandatory bug-riddled updates.

Thanks guys,
Just the sort of stuff I need to know.
Edgecam ain't perfect by a long shot and I don't expect Fusion to be any different. Just that it's usable for us.
We need canned cycles for memory size issues on some of our machines and also we machine a lot of forgings that can be all over the place size wise so the guys on the machine can edit accordingly without having to re-post every 5 minutes.

yeah you should be programming by hand. Even on forgings there is a canned cycle to follow the "path" of the forging/casting to not cut as much air. Cam would be for 3 axis+ stuff I would think.

In my experience with using Fusion for 5axis stuff, the capabilities of Fusion is wholly limited to the post processor. It'll make any toolpath you want but getting it into machine code is annoying at best, even for "common" controls like a Fanuc. It has always struggled with canned cycles, and I've used it on 3 different controllers (OSAI, Fanuc, and Trak) and unless you are working directly with Autodesk to optimize the processor for your specific work need, canned cycles rarely work correctly.

We went through maybe 10-12 post revisions directly with Autodesk trying to get our OSAI router controller canned cycles to work right, ultimately I gave up and just linearized everything because our profiling programs are not large enough (<10MB) to hit modern memory limits and 0.004" interpolation accuracy doesn't matter when cutting pine wood. Obviously this doesn't work for you... doubly so since their turning support hasn't generally been the best to start with.

If the post is not doing it, contact your Autodesk rep and see if they can get you in touch with their post processor team. There's a good chance that they will be able to create a custom post for you (based off a default Fanuc post) to make the right canned cycles. Autodesk doesn't know there are problems with CAM until their clients tell them. They don't exactly have many ways to test it in-house since they aren't a machining company, and specific machine/controller combos are endlessly unique.

Even all that aside, Fusion is still very much a "do the thinking for you" kind of CAM software... there are limits to how much you can customize what it puts out, and even then it can need a lot of trickery and massaging to be convinced that your idea is right. It's meant for complex milling ops more than anything... So I don't know that it is really the right software for your use case, or ever will be.

Back