What's new
What's new

FYI: Home Depot no longer stocks iron pipe fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill D

Diamond
Home depots near me no longer stock iron pipe or iron pipe fittings. They have to be ordered online. I am doing a gas dryer install and I have to wait a few days for a simple 1/2" NPT elbow! At least it is free shipping to home or store.
Lowes website shows they still stock iron pipe stuff.

Why would you not go to a real plumbing supply house, like Ferguson on Crows Landing.

I find that within the last year or so I have been increasingly disappointed with Home Depot's selection and the way they are organized.

Just yesterday I had to drive a few towns over because the local HD didn't have a particular item in stock and it was ridiculous lead time to get it shipped to the store in town, or to my house. Turns out one of the items I needed that was supposed to be in stock, didn't exist. I drove down the street to the Lowe's there and they had exactly what I needed on the shelf. Too bad it's so far away, I'd probably shop there more often.

I have noticed in general that Lowes is also much better organized and cleaner than HD.

Don't forget your local or regional chain hardware stores often stock that kind of stuff. The regional chain in my neck of the woods has a pretty good selection of hardware and plumbing items.

Years back on a whim we decided to plumb the basement compressed air system on a Sunday. Since no one else was open we went with Home Cheapot's iron fittings. The compressor was always coming on everything leaked. The fittings were Chinese junk. We ordered new fittings from McMaster paid the same money and got made in USA Ward fittings. Replumbed the system and no leaks. Only Good thing a the Home Cheapot was they gave us our money back. Other good source of plumbing supplies is supplyhouse.com. Cast iron fittings were clearly never their strong point.

Funny thing though about the whole Lowes vs HD I don't understand it as our 2 local Lowes are about 30% bigger than HD but somehow each time I go to a Lowes they always seem to be missing something I need yet HD almost never let's me down other than often supplying 2nd rate parts at 1st rate prices.

Years back on a whim we decided to plumb the basement compressed air system on a Sunday. Since no one else was open we went with Home Cheapot's iron fittings. The compressor was always coming on everything leaked. The fittings were Chinese junk. We ordered new fittings from McMaster paid the same money and got made in USA Ward fittings. Replumbed the system and no leaks. Only Good thing a the Home Cheapot was they gave us our money back. Other good source of plumbing supplies is supplyhouse.com. Cast iron fittings were clearly never their strong point.

Funny thing though about the whole Lowes vs HD I don't understand it as our 2 local Lowes are about 30% bigger than HD but somehow each time I go to a Lowes they always seem to be missing something I need yet HD almost never let's me down other than often supplying 2nd rate parts at 1st rate prices.

I used to live near a home depot. Now I live near a Lowes and far away from any HD. I find Lowes organization blows. Shit is in the strangest places, often same thing is in multiple places so you think you found the section for the stuff you need and lowe and behold it's actually somewhere else.

My FIL was a contractor and has Lowes memorized. If I can't find it I call him and he tells me what aisle it's on. They usually have what I need. I'm regularly surprised by what Lowes does carry.

My local HD is hit or miss, mostly miss lately. Their inventory of metric fasteners indicates the vendor responsible for this category of consignment inventory has either passed away, or won the lottery and retired.

We have a local plumbing/hardware supply place that has everything, and I mean everything, you might need plumbing and hardware, with good quality, for about 20% more than it should cost. Unless you have an account and pay monthly with the 20% account holders discount. Interesting way of handling the pro/am customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back