What's new
What's new

G&L Handbook: Horizontal Boring, Drilling and Milling Machines and Their Application

supahonkey

Aluminum
G&L Handbook: Horizontal Boring, Drilling and Milling Machines and Their Application

Guys,

I stopped by my Grandpa's yesterday and found this old book:

Title.jpg

Inside Cover.jpg

This book is amazing. It starts out explaining all of the different components of the horizontal boring mill. It then goes on to explain all of the various types of tooling, fixturing, etc. At the end it show cases common applications for the horizontal boring mill along with some atypical cases.

Check out this picture:

Figure 298.jpg

And a description of figure 298:

Text.jpg

How cool is that?

I hope to take this to work, scan the entire book as a PDF and send it to Keith Rucker to post on his website. This is a great book. I can't find an ISBN anywhere on it. It was actually written and published by Giddings & Lewis. Has anyone else ever seen this book before?

I've got a PDF of it.

Some of the set-ups they show are absolutely amazing. Id do about anything for a physical copy.

Unfortunately this is the reason I haven't done anything with trying to share the book.

Its about 500 megabytes in size (IIRC), several times too large to be emailed. It was sent to me through a document sharing thing, that if I remember correctly, required the sender to give me his log in credentials.

And even compressed in a .zip I think it was still too large.

Ill see if I can figure something out.

Thank you so much Matt. Whoever created this PDF file did an excellent job of scanning the original book. I've compared it to the book and it's amazing how accurate the PDF is. I'm going to send this to Keith Rucker to see if he will host it. It's surprising how little info there is on his site for G&L; it pales in comparison to the amount of K&T files. This file should help.

I've got a PDF of it.

Some of the set-ups they show are absolutely amazing. Id do about anything for a physical copy.

x2 on an Orig. copy.
I'm thinking about printing it out on some "better" quality paper.
I've skimmed thru it a little bit.......but mostly saving it for a cold, snowy, windy winter day.....to become totally immersed in it for a few hours.
I'm additionally lucky that I do own an actual machine I can relate the information to, not a G&L tho.

It is 300+MB, so it gave an error when trying to preview, then I clicked 'download', then the next screen said it had a problem of exceeding a file size of google scans but there was a 'download anyway' button and Voila, it worked for me.

Excellent .pdf copy of it too, thanks Matt.

Back