What's new
What's new

G&L Type 70-D5-T Quill not moving, auto feed turns handcontrol/feed indicator when engaged

RossEngTech

Plastic
I have an issue with spindle quill not moving in/out when engaged in auto or hand feed mode. The handcontrol/feed indicator moves when engaged auto. The quill can be moved in/out by hand when disengaged. Operator heard no unusual noises or otherwise indicating something broke or disengaged. I have the manual (almost useless) but the company that owns the rights to G&L (Fives Machining Systems, Inc.) do not have techs or anyone with knowledge of this machine. Throwing a line out to see if I get any bites before I go blindly into this...

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 4
There is a shear key between the power feed drive and the spindle. Probably sheared it. Operator may be afraid to get in trouble. If the shear key is what popped, he knows how. They don't shear from a *little* outfeed pressure. I wouldn't give him too much grief until you get it apart and make sure that's what it is though.

I'm assuming after reading over a couple times that you mean that the round spindle feed handwheel is rotating but the spindle does not move outward even with the ears engaged, but that the dusengaged ears can still move the spindle in and out... If that's the case the problem may be elsewhere in the line of power transmission. I'd still check there just for the hell of it though. IIRC that shear key is in the bevel gear shaft on the operator side of the machine behind the headstock. Probably be able to remove a top cover back there and get access to it.

Last edited:

Back