What's new
What's new

G. Vernier Universal Milling Machine

I have an opportunity to go look at a FV-380 G. Vernier universal milling machine. Does anyone have experience with these machines? This was made in 1986 and per the owner works well, it is a vertical milling machine with ability to rotate the head and horizontal mill. It's a 50 taper machine. I can't find much online about these French made machines, mainly I would like input on personal experience with them, quality and importantly availability of parts for them. Thank you

I'm not familiar with Vernier mills. Is the head mounted on a ram that can be pushed back either horizontally (like Van Norman) or at a 45 degree angle down and to the rear (like Abene)?

At about 4.00 you can see the vertical head has a pivot on the left side . I assume it swings out to the left to expose the horizontal function.Did not watch all the video.

Yes, looks like a native horizontal with a nicely mounted/parked double-swivel head. The one in the video looks and sounds in great shape, too.

I have used one and the qualit was superlative, very well made and ergonomic, no idea as to parts in australia basically everything is unsupported.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We had 2 FV3's in the toolroom I worked in from 1976 to 1984, so I guess they were late 1960s machines. Very versatile, though no swivel table. They had a power take off for a rotary table or dividing head and the handwheel at the front right of the table was a useful location rather than walking to the end of the table. Just above the rapid traverse handle, so don't hook your thumb around it! The vertical head is permanently attached to the machine, but easily swung clear for horizontal work. The double swivel is also very useful. As Tyrone correctly states, these machines were distributed in the UK the people who also dealt with Cazeneuve lathes, all part of the CATO group.They were Rudolph Carne of Isleworth, London.
I tried to get one of the FV3's when my old company were downsizing around 2000, but was told "they have done their best work", meaning they were worn out. Would still like to get a good one now.
Reliable enough machines though parts were very expensive, but aren't they all. Good to operate and accurate.

We had 2 FV3's in the toolroom I worked in from 1976 to 1984, so I guess they were late 1960s machines. Very versatile, though no swivel table. They had a power take off for a rotary table or dividing head and the handwheel at the front right of the table was a useful location rather than walking to the end of the table. Just above the rapid traverse handle, so don't hook your thumb around it! The vertical head is permanently attached to the machine, but easily swung clear for horizontal work. The double swivel is also very useful. As Tyrone correctly states, these machines were distributed in the UK the people who also dealt with Cazeneuve lathes, all part of the CATO group.They were Rudolph Carne of Isleworth, London.
I tried to get one of the FV3's when my old company were downsizing around 2000, but was told "they have done their best work", meaning they were worn out. Would still like to get a good one now.
Reliable enough machines though parts were very expensive, but aren't they all. Good to operate and accurate.

Weren’t “ Rudolf Carne “ also agents for “ Huron “ milling machines ?

Regards Tyrone.

Thanks buddy,I 'm gonna go look at it and see. What would you recommend to look for? I'm gonna take an indicator and look for spindle runout, table runout and just general play in any of the ways. Although I'm sure they have adjustable gibbs on the ways. Thanks for your input

If its the double angle head id check for massibely excessive drive backlash and also for radial play in the spindle bearings (if its like a huron they may be a special needle roller where the housingnis the outer race.)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Fv380/fv3 s

Hello.

I am sorry and I appologize for my very bad english speaking and writting.

I am french.

Vernier was a famous french company. Vernier milling machines are well known for their versatility, precision, reliability.

But many people think they are complicated to disassemble and professionnal retrofitter do not like them because they think reshaping needs a lot of time. More than other french brands as Dufour or Huron.

My personnal milling machine is a VERNIER FV3S. Current geometry is very good. Less than 0.005 mm spindle runout, Less than 10 microns on 700 mm stroke and 25 microns on the total table stroke (1000 mm)

When I bought it, I hesitate between FV3 S and FV380.

FV380 is the biggest Vernier. Weight is about 4 tons. Only 2.7 tons for the FV3S.
So 380 can be difficult to move.
FV3 S is a very common machine here. And all over the world. FV380 is very rare.
Cazeneuve (15 km from my workshop) as bought Vernier company. But now they discontinue to sell spare parts for the old Vernier milling machines.

So,despite very good qualities, buying a FV380 consists in an important taken risk. If a part is broken you probably will have no other solution than making yourself a new one. With a 3 S, you can find a lot of second hand spare parts.

FV3, FV300, are a little bit smaller machines than the S model.
FV250 and FV270 are smaller machines than the 3 and 300 series.

FV250 is considered as a good school machine.
FV3 S is one of the best toolroom french machines.
FV 380 is more considered as a good roughing machine able to obtain precision. But in France Huron is considered as the king of this category. Even here FV380 are not famous despite certain qualities.

My advice : if you have no big roughing jobs, il you don't need very important strokes, you have better to not buy a 380. If you need precision and versatility, do not hesitate to buy a FV3 S.

If you need an intensive production machine do not buy a Vernier FV. These machines were not designed for massive production. In this case, a Huron will be more suitable.

But be carreful : Vernier are often in good condition, Huron are often completely worn...

Hello.

I am sorry and I appologize for my very bad english speaking and writting.

I am french.

Vernier was a famous french company. Vernier milling machines are well known for their versatility, precision, reliability.

But many people think they are complicated to disassemble and professionnal retrofitter do not like them because they think reshaping needs a lot of time. More than other french brands as Dufour or Huron.

My personnal milling machine is a VERNIER FV3S. Current geometry is very good. Less than 0.005 mm spindle runout, Less than 10 microns on 700 mm stroke and 25 microns on the total table stroke (1000 mm)

When I bought it, I hesitate between FV3 S and FV380.

FV380 is the biggest Vernier. Weight is about 4 tons. Only 2.7 tons for the FV3S.
So 380 can be difficult to move.
FV3 S is a very common machine here. And all over the world. FV380 is very rare.
Cazeneuve (15 km from my workshop) as bought Vernier company. But now they discontinue to sell spare parts for the old Vernier milling machines.

So,despite very good qualities, buying a FV380 consists in an important taken risk. If a part is broken you probably will have no other solution than making yourself a new one. With a 3 S, you can find a lot of second hand spare parts.

FV3, FV300, are a little bit smaller machines than the S model.
FV250 and FV270 are smaller machines than the 3 and 300 series.

FV250 is considered as a good school machine.
FV3 S is one of the best toolroom french machines.
FV 380 is more considered as a good roughing machine able to obtain precision. But in France Huron is considered as the king of this category. Even here FV380 are not famous despite certain qualities.

My advice : if you have no big roughing jobs, il you don't need very important strokes, you have better to not buy a 380. If you need precision and versatility, do not hesitate to buy a FV3 S.

If you need an intensive production machine do not buy a Vernier FV. These machines were not designed for massive production. In this case, a Huron will be more suitable.

But be carreful : Vernier are often in good condition, Huron are often completely worn...

Hi TRD, yes the “ Huron “ is a fine machine, one of the best I ever worked on. The workmanship is second to none. Anybody who has worked on one sings their praises. There was a time in the UK back in the 1970’s when a relatively new “ Huron “ was going for more money than a brand new “ Huron “ because the waiting time for a brand new “ Huron “ was about 12 months.

Regards Tyrone.

Huron : Huré company is dead
Vernier was bought by Cazeneuve. Cazeneuve is already a manufacturer for lathes. You can already buy parts for 50 years old Cazeneuve lathes. But there is no part for Vernier.

The best solution for repairing Vernier Milling machines is to buy used parts. There are often FV3 parts on sale on Leboncoin.fr french website. it's often cheaper than in E. bay.

You can find Huron parts too on Leboncoin.

But because very few FV380 were made, find FV380 parts is more difficult.

For FV3-FV3S, FV250, FV270, you can find for free all the user manuals on Passion-usinages forum.

Huron : Huré company is dead
Vernier was bought by Cazeneuve. Cazeneuve is already a manufacturer for lathes. You can already buy parts for 50 years old Cazeneuve lathes. But there is no part for Vernier.

The best solution for repairing Vernier Milling machines is to buy used parts. There are often FV3 parts on sale on Leboncoin.fr french website. it's often cheaper than in E. bay.

You can find Huron parts too on Leboncoin.

But because very few FV380 were made, find FV380 parts is more difficult.

For FV3-FV3S, FV250, FV270, you can find for free all the user manuals on Passion-usinages forum.
Thank you so much for this link for the manuals. I have a Vernier 3A milling machine in my workshop and very helpful for accurate job work.
Does anyone have a manual for this machine? kindly share it.
I tried to open Oil levels for cleaning but was not able to remove them just because of fear not getting another one.

Regards,
Yashesh M

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26

Back